Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The dead ends of being human.

The dead ends of being human.
April 02, 2012, 05:35:45 AM
A lot of what it is to be human comes down to the conflict between thought and feeling. This is demonstrated in everything from day to day action to political leanings. Often there is no ultimate answer to which is right it just comes down to what one values.

A kind of sub category of that conflict is what should be done in the face of inevitable death, and also inevitable bleak future for offspring.
the dead end is hedonism vs fighting for something.
You can see this  in the "manosphere" where downtrodden men can't decide whether to attempt to fix a society that has had all of its pillars fall or to indulge their senses by getting as much pussy as possible through game and making the most out of finite time. 

Another dead end is the psychology of belief in god. If this belief is nothing more than your brain trying to attach meaning to life so you dont put a gun in your mouth, if it's all just your brain trying to get you to procreate, or trying to keep you alive if you're adamant against breeding, then there's really not much distance you can travel from there. We will never have the answer to this. At that point you either fall off the face of existence or trudge back to humanity. 

Re: The dead ends of being human.
April 02, 2012, 06:12:41 AM
What if there is meaning, and purpose, and delight, and you just don't know about it yet?
Something beyond being too smart for your own good?
Be a shame to miss out on that, eh?

Maybe it's like waiting for wine to mature. Or one month old single malt scotch, that needs 12 years be its best.
Maybe it's all there, somewhere ahead, but like a fat inheritance, you have to wait for it, and be poor until you get it.

I guess it comes down to how patient you can be.
Life doesn't come with a map, or a timetable, or a book of instructions.
Maybe that's just as well.
Who knows? It would probably be printed in Korea.

April 02, 2012, 10:30:24 AM
The negation of life that is nihilism leads to paths beyond the material. These do not necessarily speak Aramaic.

April 02, 2012, 05:21:49 PM
A lot of what it is to be human comes down to the conflict between thought and feeling. This is demonstrated in everything from day to day action to political leanings. Often there is no ultimate answer to which is right it just comes down to what one values.

A kind of sub category of that conflict is what should be done in the face of inevitable death, and also inevitable bleak future for offspring.
the dead end is hedonism vs fighting for something.
You can see this  in the "manosphere" where downtrodden men can't decide whether to attempt to fix a society that has had all of its pillars fall or to indulge their senses by getting as much pussy as possible through game and making the most out of finite time. 

Another dead end is the psychology of belief in god. If this belief is nothing more than your brain trying to attach meaning to life so you dont put a gun in your mouth, if it's all just your brain trying to get you to procreate, or trying to keep you alive if you're adamant against breeding, then there's really not much distance you can travel from there. We will never have the answer to this. At that point you either fall off the face of existence or trudge back to humanity. 

This is the best post all week.

I find humanity is evolution's greatest failure.

A half billion representatives of every ethnic group and culture, the brightest and least reliant on superstition should be selected out, and everyone else should be quietly sterilized. No genocide is required.

And the uncontacted tribes. Keep them around too.

Crush the ten commandments, and enshrine the George Guidestones.

April 02, 2012, 05:34:59 PM
No, humanity is evolution's (counting the alien intervention of course) success.

I think you may be so strongly opposed to supernatural thought because you have made up your pessimistic mind that the world sucks and you don't want to believe that something better may exist.

April 02, 2012, 05:39:26 PM
No, humanity is evolution's (counting the alien intervention of course) success.

I think you may be so strongly opposed to supernatural thought because you have made up your pessimistic mind that the world sucks and you don't want to believe that something better may exist.

The world doesn't suck. I just think every single shred of evidence points to a natural origin for humanity and superstition being an adaptation sentience necessitates. Unlike the vast majority of my species, I can let it go. Most of us are stuck in it forever in the same way most of us are stuck in the desire to consume food when hungry.

April 02, 2012, 05:50:46 PM
I have to say, the number of happy agnostics/"spiritualistic" people far outweighs the number of happy atheists I know.  Evidently the greater population of the people I know find some worth in that kind of thinking.  Then again, I know people who have nothing to gain from anything of a "spiritual" sort, and to them I say "good luck, and enjoy life".  Personally, my "spirituality" boils down to my metaphysics: I have no personal Gods, no desire to worship/pray, no rituals by which I live my life, or anything of that kind, just a general structure of reality (*realities).  I guess you could say that it's a pretty boring religion, compared to Catholicism or some crap.

I don't need a "God" to tell me that eating, sleeping, and fucking are good things for me to be doing.  I don't need a "God" to tell me that working towards my degree(s?), getting a job (or three), and starting a family are good ideas.  I find it quite useful to look at "God" as nothing more than what others might call "origin" (whatever "that whence existence came" might be called).  It doesn't really do anything, so how could it have any impact on my physical life?  But to look at it, witness it, experience it, and revel in it, are fantastic things for me to be doing in the spaces between eating, sleeping, and fucking; to me, this existence/experience is so vast and wonderful that I have no other option but to call it "God", and give it its due respect.

How amusing, to think that that omnipotent, all-knowing thing "does" nothing with its knowledge and power, but, if anything at all, merely watches.

April 02, 2012, 06:02:52 PM
I have to say, the number of happy agnostics/"spiritualistic" people far outweighs the number of happy atheists I know.

How amusing, to think that that omnipotent, all-knowing thing "does" nothing with its knowledge and power, but, if anything at all, merely watches.

I agree. Religion exists for a reason. A very and utterly natural one.

If the Christian god were real, count me with satan.

April 02, 2012, 06:05:31 PM
Fortunately the Christian God is not real.
Lucky you. Satan nearly had your ass.

April 02, 2012, 06:34:09 PM
I've observed that atheists often(not always) just have the ego as god. They never admit it when they lecture you about their beliefs  but they think along the lines of fate and in a way that is very self oriented and actually more unrealistic than a higher power.
Basically, if it's not god that gives meaning and purpose, it's ego. Something has to be tying it all together so you function normally, unless you're Carl Sagan who smokes a lot of weed and worships the universe.

April 02, 2012, 06:39:17 PM
you're Carl Sagan who smokes a lot of weed and worships the universe.

Fuck, I need to cut down on the MJ.  Now the internet is talking to me, as well as this Immolation record.

April 02, 2012, 10:26:04 PM
Humanity may be a evolutionary succes or a disaster, but the fact is that we have no choice but to live it. We can wipe every human on earth but our spirit will remain only to reappear in another world. It's an eternal bound. So we better try to fix it if the want to live in glory. Or else it's eternal damnation. But again the glory of one is the damnation of one other.
 Killing someone, for exemple, the Nazis killing the jews, ultimately is useless because their spirit will remains the same, only to reapear when less expected. It's the meaning of the myth of Heracles fighting the hydra. You got to strike to the heart to "really" change the humanity. Killing someone is for the fighter who want to fight forever. Eternal war. You can strive for it but don't try to pretend it's because you want a better society, at least for eternity. On the short term, to kill someone can be good but never on the long term. The blood calls for blood.

April 02, 2012, 10:30:26 PM
Now there's a bit of wisdom.
I was beginning to think maybe it was pointless being here.
Does this mean..?
Yes :)

April 03, 2012, 04:37:21 AM
A half billion representatives of every ethnic group and culture, the brightest and least reliant on superstition should be selected out, and everyone else should be quietly sterilized. No genocide is required.

Just pick the brightest and most practical, and let that standard fall where it may. If we lose the Bantu and Chicagoans, oh fucking well

April 03, 2012, 07:06:51 AM

Just pick the brightest and most practical, and let that standard fall where it may. If we lose the Bantu and Chicagoans, oh fucking well

That is needless and mean(about the Bantu, fuck Chicago). Allow their overmen to repopulate their peoples. I don't like the genocide being committed against me, so I could hardly advocate it against anyone else. If we had the power to actually do this, lets elevate all humanity. It sounds nicer. It feels nicer. It's more civilized. We can still save ourselves without being unfriendly to our neighbors. Humanism and eugenics are not mutually exclusive.