Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Godspeed you black emperor!

Godspeed you black emperor!
April 03, 2012, 11:03:20 PM
I know that there are some fans of this band around here, but I think that it deserves an explicit commentary.

If political terms can exhaust the description of a band, then, art is absent. GYBE: anarchists, leftists? That would be a poor description for a band that stimulates deeper emotions through a performance that could be easily qualified as neoclassical.

Some, some of the Silver Mt. Zion stuff is really good as well.

I enjoy the rage of metal music. But GYBE provokes an intense and unremorseful compassion in me. To see the world with a warm bravery.

By the way, I detest the hipsterish post-rock scene.

What do you guys think?

Re: Godspeed you black emperor!
April 05, 2012, 02:11:30 AM
Hate this band. Aesthetically, politically. Musically, there's some great stuff when they're not over layering it with samples. But quite frankly it's pretentious bs. Loud, quiet, loud quiet....

Honestly I don't even like much Mogwai but the Zidane soundtrack does GSYBE 100x better than GSYBE ever could

April 06, 2012, 06:08:43 PM
I used to really like these guys back when I was fifteen, until I figured out their basic trick of crescendo/decrescendo and manipulating the listener via sentimentality. Most of their songs are fairly similar, both in terms in of how they're written, and often in terms of the actual melodies they use. The layering of sounds is also pretty simple: it might be dense, but its more like a movie soundtrack, with different pitches simply bolstering the immediately recognizable main melody, rather than doing much of interest. This seems to be the major problem with most post rock bands that aren't Neurosis.

I'd much rather listen to Univers Zero or Le Orme, or maybe even Jacula, to get the whole prog rock using classical instruments thing, because those bands are a lot more adventurous when it comes to having songs going in different directions or using dissonance to build tension.

April 07, 2012, 01:01:33 AM
author=ChapelOfTorment link=topic=15778.msg73905#msg73905 date=1333735723]
I used to really like these guys back when I was fifteen, until I figured out their basic trick of crescendo/decrescendo and manipulating the listener via sentimentality. Most of their songs are fairly similar, both in terms in of how they're written, and often in terms of the actual melodies they use. The layering of sounds is also pretty simple: it might be dense, but its more like a movie soundtrack, with different pitches simply bolstering the immediately recognizable main melody, rather than doing much of interest. This seems to be the major problem with most post rock bands that aren't Neurosis.

Not to defend my statement about this band, but to actually  defend what can be heard. I would like black metal to be so rich in emotions as GYBE, and I'm not talking about "intense" emo-tional riffing on minor chords (like some cliché black metal and hipster post-rock), but actually what is is usually presupposed here to be good music: a variety of colors. GYBE don't care about being sad or dark as bad black metal tries with its puny harmonic parallelism. I'm not trying to compare the worst of black metal to make GYBE look good, but in order to evidence its qualities within the realm of neoclassical music.

For the case of GYBE, dynamics is not used in order to hide the lack of an actual development. You shouldn't confuse consistency with dishonesty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vRrGCVlMHk
"