Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Moonlight Sonata

Moonlight Sonata
December 02, 2006, 04:43:47 AM
I simply love minor chords.  I could listen to this song a million times over and still be enthralled by the emotion it creates.  It never gets old to me.

Any other suggestions of classical titles that have that same somber caliber?  

It would be very much appreciated.

Nile577

Re: Moonlight Sonata
December 02, 2006, 06:45:52 AM
Beethoven's Hammerklavier sonata is in some ways, though differently structured, a more mature version of the Moonlight. In the Hammlerklavier, the vigor of the opening allegro finds climax in the cataclysmic fugue of the finale. However, it's the adagio that is the true centerpiece of the work: A 17-minute monologue best described as a 'mausoleum for human sorrow'. At forty minutes long the sonata is a high point in Western art. I recommend the Kempff 1951 performance.

Here is a performance of Wilhelm Kempff playing the famous first movement of Beethoven's Moonlight sonata.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O6txOvK-mAk

Kempff is my favorite Beethoven pianist because he does not attempt to Romanticize the composer any more than is evident in what is written. Here he is relatively old and he even hits several wrong notes in the third movement of the work. However, his feel is sublime and for that, this performance of the 1st movement is one of the best I have heard.

December 02, 2006, 04:49:36 PM
Part of it was used by Tyrant on the third track of their CD 'Grimoires'.

December 03, 2006, 05:33:04 AM
in variations in C on Ah, vous diraije Maman (twinkle twinkle little star) the minor variation about half way through keeps that same feel as the moonlight sonata  

also most of Bachs inventions carry the same effect (although they are for harpsichord which carries a different weight to the piano)

Annihilaytorr

December 03, 2006, 07:05:00 AM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L0VHQKSR

Eric Friesen has a great rendition of the Moonlight Sonata on his first solo album.

December 03, 2006, 01:18:03 PM
The first movement is also an excellent piece to learn on the piano for those at an intermediate level - there's far more motivation to practise if the piece you're playing is actually one you'd listen to multiple times yourself, rather than being some goddamned boring exercise. Chopin's prelude no. 15 is another good one.

December 11, 2006, 05:13:50 AM

In terms of emotive response I would say that Sonata No. 12 3rd movement is the closest to that of the Moonlight Sonata. And due to my certain over indulgence in the ol' Moonlight I think I am begining to prefer it.

Wilhelm Kempff was recommended earlier and I would like to second that, as well as adding Claudio Arrau. Arrau has the vigour required for the more dramatic sections of certain sonatas which most pianists lack, however one criticism is that on rare occasions he lacks the delicate touch required for certain sections, which the likes of Kempff are perhaps have mastered. And, his performance of Op. 111 is ungodly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBgSSK0m5kA

Observe.