Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Why do people like metal?

Why do people like metal?
December 01, 2006, 10:45:41 PM
Hey everyone, despite how the subject sounds I'm not some clueless person wondering "why people like crap like metal"  Quite the opposite, a huge metal fan myself I'm actually writing a paper for college to try figure why 99% of people don't like metal (that part's sort of obvious the whole satan thing and hating christanity and the exretemly heavy vocals and drums and guitars and so on). The other part is to try and find out why a small group of people like myself are obsessed with metal and have kept it alive after so many years depite it being an underground kind of thing.  Any help or ideas would be great.  For some reason I haven't found to much indepth information on google or any metal forums, maybe I'm searching with the wrong words or something.

Re: Why do people like metal?
December 02, 2006, 12:04:11 AM

RSF

December 02, 2006, 03:18:09 AM
I would say that probably a good percentage of so-called metal listeners are adolescent (physically and/or mentally) trendsters who will abandon it sooner or later. The others--the ones who actually care about it and are in for the long haul--are the ones who identify with at least some of the values associated with the more principled genres and artists in metal (black metal's supposed anachronistic embracement of "eternal ideals" and its accompanying romanticism; death metal's "holistic" acceptance but not necessarily endorsement of pain, suffering and death as a necessary element of the human experience). No serious connoisseur of metal listens to it "only for the music" (you know the type: the "I can't understand what they're yelling/growling/screeching about and therefore I'm absolved of any responsibility for enjoying media that would otherwise be contrary to my own values, henceforth  Jesus still loves me)  and the people who make claims like that are pretenders who would be better suited to spending their time reading the Bible than listening to Morbid Angel.

December 02, 2006, 05:16:20 AM
why 99% of people don't like metal

99% of people cannot complete a thought or even mental gesture without being interrupted by concepts of shopping, television or food.

They're like really smart dogs.

RSF

December 02, 2006, 05:20:17 AM
Or really stupid dogs, since most dogs know not to shit where they sleep.

December 02, 2006, 05:25:00 AM
99% of people don't like metal and 99% of those people don't like good metal.

December 02, 2006, 09:34:53 PM
metal is an affront to the popular world view, hence it cannot be popular

December 02, 2006, 10:26:29 PM
Thanks for the links Hyvolgen they helped alot, as did the oppinion section here as did the other posts but...  What still bothers me is why exactly are people (albeit a few)attracted to the harsh sound of metal.  The lyrics and meaning of metal aside, what makes people like the sound of metal.  If you think about it the topics discussed could be expressed in a lighter form of music although I don't know how effective that would be.  The first time you ever heard a slayer, or morbid angel cd what make you go, holy fuck these guys rock?  And why does it seem there is a breaking in period that people go through with listening starting out listeing to nu metal kind of stuff or rock then progressing to the extreme stuff?

Back when I was still listening to disturbed and drowning pool (shut up we all had to start somewhere), I was in the process of looking for harder stuff one of my friend suggested I checkout some Nile, Emperor, Death and a few others.  When I did I was totally freaked out, it felt like I was doing something immoral and wrong by listening to it (mind you I still believed in god at the time, thankfully that ended soon after).  I really didn't like it at the time, but there was someting about it that made me want to like it.  There was something about that music that drew me in and eventually took me over to where I can't get enough of it now.  WHY THE FUCK IS THAT?  It dosen't make sense to me and I haven't been able to find any solid information on it yet.  The best I could come up with is stuff about dissonance and the use of the Devil's interval which give an uneasy, unstable and "sexual" feeling.  Maybe we like it because it's the opposite of what people "should" like or does it hae to do with the fact we are animals and it brings out all those supressed feelings of anger and rage? So, anyone know why the actual sound of metal is appealing?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

December 02, 2006, 10:46:57 PM
if people are happy go lucky people who dont like to think about how wrong our world is and live in a happy bubble they will listen to certain kinds of music, if you were very depressed you wouldn't listen to the Beatles (early Beatles), you would listen to music that suited your philosophy. So people who like metal are usally not happy go lucky people but follow a differnet  
system of though  

December 02, 2006, 11:20:03 PM
That makes sense so does that mean people who listen to metal and inherentty unhappy?  And does that mean people think similar to metalheads or are nihlistic will automatically like metal even if they don't listen to it yet?  Meaning metal is musical representaiton of that philosophy, where as emo or whatever creap kids listen to now a days would represent the philosophy of doing whatever it takes to be part of the crowd and fit it?  That kind of makes sense, because for I listen to a lot of classic rock and blues (SRV!!) depending on how I feel and whenever I'm pissed off I want to listen to the hardest music I can find.  Huh, I guess that was actually a simple observation, I don't know why I did notice it earlier.  Well anyone have any other ideas?

edit:
oh... so by listening to metal does that intensifys the feelings of being unhappy or depressed?

December 03, 2006, 04:09:58 AM
oh... so by listening to metal does that intensifys the feelings of being unhappy or depressed?

No. Listening to metal transforms these feelings into a positive rage - will to face and defeat their source.

Dunkelheit

December 03, 2006, 05:46:34 AM
I think that looking at metal for how it sounds alone, actually brings out some of the philosophy of it. For example, the distorted guitars. Distortion is a sound we've come to know from electronic devices. Not when they're working properly, but when they're failing. Using this sound in art can be seen as a metaphor for society failing. The drums also incorporate a fast unsteady pace, and different kinds of beats that are more urgent sounding (such as blastbeats). This can be seen as telling us that time is running out. The overall dark and dissonant sound shows how one feels when they realize how we're going about life the wrong way, but hardly anyone else realizes. You feel distant, cold, and alienated towards your fellow man. The harsh vocals of the more extreme genre's express at times suffering, at other times power, and always urgency.

People who like metal fall into two distinct crowds. One group consists of people seeking the current trend, looking for more technical music, or searching for something more extreme. The other group looks for something in line with their philosophies. They've already headed down the left hand path. They're free thinkers who know somethings wrong, and metal can help them on their journey and open them up to more realizations.

The first group can end up learning what metal is really all about and end up in the second group, but usually the first group come in just for a trend, never really get into the great bands, and leave once a new trend comes along.

December 03, 2006, 07:20:13 AM
Listening to metal transforms these feelings into a positive rage - will to face and defeat their source.

Metal is about power. The power to make things better. The power to see past the lies of the crowd. The power to find real meaning in life. Doesn't work too good on television.

December 03, 2006, 10:56:17 AM

The power to find real meaning in life

by facing death.

December 03, 2006, 04:52:44 PM
I think that looking at metal for how it sounds alone, actually brings out some of the philosophy of it.

Thats exactly what i mean, the "feeling" (sorry for using such a subjective term) of the music represents its ideas, so if your best mate just died in a car crash unless you were listen to very happy music as a sought of sarcastic effort you would probably be listen to a sad kind of music.

but your points about the way drums and distortion are used aren't the kind of thing an average listener could pick out, they cant tell its against society because it has distorted guitars. However they will be able to tell right off its not happy music, its not a gentle soft kind of music. And if you look at the ideology behind it you can see that you can gain a basic and very rough idea on the meaning of the music by only listen to it