Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Why do people like metal?

Dunkelheit

Re: Why do people like metal?
December 03, 2006, 06:39:37 PM

Thats exactly what i mean, the "feeling" (sorry for using such a subjective term) of the music represents its ideas, so if your best mate just died in a car crash unless you were listen to very happy music as a sought of sarcastic effort you would probably be listen to a sad kind of music.

but your points about the way drums and distortion are used aren't the kind of thing an average listener could pick out, they cant tell its against society because it has distorted guitars. However they will be able to tell right off its not happy music, its not a gentle soft kind of music. And if you look at the ideology behind it you can see that you can gain a basic and very rough idea on the meaning of the music by only listen to it

I agree. Though I think the things I pointed out are somewhat subconscious. And as for the average listener, of course they can't see that. The messages are mainly heard by those who are deep into the music and the philosophy. Metal gives off those feelings without words. Then the vocals on top just sort of express the viewpoint of that band. But yeah, the aesthetics definately give off the philosophy. Doesn't mean the average joe will get it. It does seem that most intelligent, worthwhile people do, though.

December 04, 2006, 06:36:11 PM
Hello, new to the board...

I listen to metal because it actively resists cosmopolitan, egalitarian  culture.  I know that sounds pretentious, as if the first time I heard any real metal I uttered those exact words, but, if memory serves, I did say something along those lines.

My anger towards society was really anger towards certain elements that I knew shaped it.  When I was younger, I noticed that as my understanding of religion grew, my hatred of religion grew with it.  I read Nietzsche and Douglas Adams, and I tried (and still try) to engage religious people whenever they state their views.  It's good for them, after all, since otherwise they'd never hear a counterpoint.  

I listened to a lot of Tool.  My favorite songs were always the ones that attacked Christianity.  

Well into my college years, I discovered metal.  I did not realize that there was an entire musical genre that could speak directly to my ideological frustrations.  This was unapologetic anger, the best kind.  Don't get me wrong: the first time I heard metal...well, Massacra it wasn't.  It was some shlock, probably not even metal; some metalcore type of thing.  I was impressed (this didn't last long) but I knew there was something below the surface, some underground stuff, that would totally blow me away.  So I dug and dug, and it wasn't until several months later that I found it, and I've been listening to the best the genre has to offer ever since.  It was GBK's Judeobeast Assasination.  I put it on and said, 'Ah, this is what metal's supposed to sound like...'

And that was that...

December 06, 2006, 06:58:07 AM
To me, it's an acquired taste and some fate or destiny in it. No one can just simply get into metal.

I too agree with the person who classified metal listeners into two categories. The trend-followers will just die off sooner or later. I'm the latter, by the way.

One has to get pass the stage of "having difficulties stomaching the music", getting pass the stage of "labelling metal as noise". After being re-formatted and all, then he will go deeper into the philosophical meanings of the music. Once the listener found the complementary ideology, he saw heaven.

It seems, sort of, like a ''right religion-finding'' process. But, religion is a bad term to use. Ack.

Dunkelheit

December 06, 2006, 07:20:29 AM
To me, it's an acquired taste and some fate or destiny in it. No one can just simply get into metal.

I too agree with the person who classified metal listeners into two categories. The trend-followers will just die off sooner or later. I'm the latter, by the way.

One has to get pass the stage of "having difficulties stomaching the music", getting pass the stage of "labelling metal as noise". After being re-formatted and all, then he will go deeper into the philosophical meanings of the music. Once the listener found the complementary ideology, he saw heaven.

It seems, sort of, like a ''right religion-finding'' process. But, religion is a bad term to use. Ack.

Yes I would say it is somewhat of an acquired taste. After you listen to a lot of metal and find out what it's all about you gain better ears for it. Something that may seem like complete brutal unintelligible noise to someone who is not initiated into metal usually sounds very clear to me. You have to get used to the instruments and effects used, along with the production. The first time someone hears say Transilvanian Hunger it will probably sound like static-y noise with rough nonsensical screams over top. But if they were to really get into metal, the next time they hear it, it would be as if with new ears. So as far as metal being an acquired taste, I think it mainly has to do with training your ear a bit.

December 06, 2006, 10:04:18 AM
well metal (latter forms) tries to be anti-populist music in both ideology and sound, and because populist music use classical theory so much it makes it catchy and pleasant sounding so metal sounds the opposite of that make it very unpleasant to listen to, so i completly agree its an acquired taste

December 06, 2006, 11:13:06 AM
I listen to metal because it actively resists cosmopolitan, egalitarian  culture.

It resists that sick culture by finding another source of meaning, what some would say is an older culture but others would say is everpresent ("It was always here").

The darkness... the knowledge of reality that the crowd fears.

Metal is power. Morality is anti-power.

December 09, 2006, 12:20:30 PM
i wouldn't say morality is anti-power, humans need morality otherwise there would never be rest. It unites  
like minded people and helps them build a society, its just the morals our society use are flawed

December 11, 2006, 08:22:39 AM
i wouldn't say morality is any-power, humans need morality otherwise there would never be rest. It unites  
like minded people and helps them build a society, its just the morals our society use are flawed

I prefer values systems to unite people. Morality is about treating humans "well." Values systems are about getting great shit done.

And yeah, our society's morals are very cheesy.

December 11, 2006, 11:24:47 AM
morals and values are to different words for the same thing, morality isn't about treating people well but it means which values you choose to live by, its only modern society has adopted the caring and mother like way of life

December 15, 2006, 04:02:25 AM
What I find in Metal is sense of reality.  I don't know if there is any more of this theme in other genres, but what I do know is that metal looks deeper.  It looks under the surface and reveals how the world truly looks like.  It may be ugly, it may be frightning, but it's the truth and we admit it's there

December 19, 2006, 10:43:44 AM
there is a huge range of styles of music that achieve the same affect of try to reach the same goal, metal is just the most popular (among youth) and most recent effort

December 21, 2006, 05:36:41 AM
morals and values are to different words for the same thing, morality isn't about treating people well but it means which values you choose to live by, its only modern society has adopted the caring and mother like way of life

Thinking morally = how you treat others.

Thinking heroically = what is best to do by the whole.

Morality is the revenge of the herd. Metal is anti-herd, and as part of that, it likes danger, power and feared ideas.

December 21, 2006, 10:48:37 AM
however morals can also be the same as virtue, its not just an external thing, its also a way in which you treat internal problems

December 22, 2006, 08:08:33 AM
Maybe I'm using the word wrong, but as I know it, morals is a standard of acting that applies to dealing with other humans. It's also a way of controlling actions not outlook. Virtue is an outlook and doesn't need morality, because it is often amoral. Sometimes you have to kill people. That's not so popular, so it's not moral.

December 22, 2006, 04:22:15 PM
yes that seems to make a lot of sense to me, i like your one more because it has a clear definition and isn't as subjective as mine