Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Goreaphobia

Re: Goreaphobia
April 07, 2012, 11:39:01 PM
I saw these guys live with Master a few years back.

They were energetic and their songs were fairly straightforward.

I wouldn't mind seeing them live again, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

April 08, 2012, 05:34:09 AM
Guys, what the fuck, this is dull!  Why is this being defended! it is worthless! Absolute plain old boring mall deth! This is dullsville!!
He who fears the dark, shall never see the light
http://www.last.fm/user/Beastofsodom

April 08, 2012, 05:47:27 AM
Guys, what the fuck, this is dull!  Why is this being defended! it is worthless! Absolute plain old boring mall deth! This is dullsville!!

Your AIDS is part of why this is a grave plagued planet.
Lettin' nillas know.

I hope our aryan overlords will emerge form their l secret base below antartica and wipe all of those under 500 of IQ And don't have the ability to mindtravel into the Xerces Galaxy.

April 08, 2012, 05:55:47 AM
Parasite's exaggerates, but I basically agree.  I listened to a few songs off Mortal Repulsion, don't hear the appeal at all.  The track linked by Humanicide was decent though, sounds to me like they decided to go for a dumbed down approach on the new stuff to cash in on their old school status, obviously this is pure speculation but it's hardly an uncommon phenomenon in metal.

April 08, 2012, 06:03:25 AM
Parasite's exaggerates, but I basically agree.  I listened to a few songs off Mortal Repulsion, don't hear the appeal at all.  The track linked by Humanicide was decent though, sounds to me like they decided to go for a dumbed down approach on the new stuff to cash in on their old school status, obviously this is pure speculation but it's hardly an uncommon phenomenon in metal.

I don't hear that at all. I agree with the second posters assessment they are truly honest old school hessians.
Lettin' nillas know.

I hope our aryan overlords will emerge form their l secret base below antartica and wipe all of those under 500 of IQ And don't have the ability to mindtravel into the Xerces Galaxy.

April 08, 2012, 06:06:41 AM
Since I respect your opinion, I will listen to the whole album when I have time and confirm/revise my statement afterwards.

April 08, 2012, 08:46:12 AM
to the detractors: listen to the song "Poltergeist Entrapment" a couple of times and let it sink in...the new stuff is basically just a cooler version of Bloodbath.

April 08, 2012, 02:36:13 PM
Not liking them is one thing. Calling them mall metal is another.

If you don't like 'em, fine. But this group is anything but mall metal.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

April 10, 2012, 07:36:19 PM
They sound like garbage to my ears. Kind of mall metal-ish, or something similar to Bloodsoaked(also mall metal).  The vocals are just terrible and the overall sound isn't foreboding like classic death metal.

Mall-metal...Goreaphobia...

Listen to Mortal Repulsion all the way through. You're selling yourself short. There is nothing mall about it.

I think Parasite is referring to Apocalyptic Necromancy, in which there's SOME Therion (Symphony Masses...) and Samael (Ceremony...) elements present. Non-standard, but hearkens back to a time when underground, extreme metal bands were working hard artistically to carve a niche for themselves. Different, but NOT mall-metal at all. Someone (Parasite) maybe needs to revisit those two aforementioned albums...
"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

April 11, 2012, 02:23:37 AM
Damn im getting NAILED for my Goreaphobia commments! 

Maybe Mall Metal was a bit out of line.  I actually looked into listening to some of their older material, one of the singles actually.  Very dark and cryptic atmosphere, still nothing fantastic but far more interesting than their full lengths.  The vocals are really quite terrible and there is just a general lack of dooming, crushing power coming from their instruments.  I don't know, i just think this band is mediocre compared to most bands that get praise around here. 

February 17, 2013, 01:47:24 AM
I would like to take back my slandering of this band.  I was a complete DOUCHE for saying this band was crap.  That video really did, and still does turn me off big time but Mortal Repulsion is a fucking solid album.  Finally gave it a proper listen today because I needed to hear some new death metal.

July 22, 2013, 11:21:42 PM
So, what was the deal with the second Goreaphobia full-length, anyway? I've had that demo compilation of theirs since it came out, but I just got around to giving their two albums a listen today. The first one was a bit surprising with the doom and black metal parts, but once I got used to that, it seemed like a logical extension of the first four songs off of Demented Omen. Pretty decent old school reunion album, I'd say. Certainly better than that second post-reunion Asphyx debacle or the Vallenfyre stuff (which I initially liked but ended up selling after six months).

But yeah, that second album... It's like black/thrash/punk or something meets Heartwork, complete with simple song structures and ample breathing room for the guitar solos. Listen to this if you don't believe me. I don't know if I hate it, but it definitely doesn't grab me like their prior stuff does. I certainly was caught off guard by the style change, if that's what they were going for. The starts out sounding like Mortal Repulsion, but it takes a left turn about halfway through the first track and never looks back, almost like they're fucking with the listener's expectations on purpose. They may have re-broken up at the right time if this is the direction they were heading in. Did Alex Bouks take all of his real Goreaphobia-sounding stuff to Incantation when he joined or something?

The goofiest thing is that the whole oldschool death metal (tm) crowd appears not to have even noticed the massive style shift between the two albums. These people just keep on praising everything that reminds them of what they think old Incantation or Entombed sound like. The distinction here is important: not stuff that actually sounds like old school death metal, but rather, stuff that approximates what the funderground thinks made the elder classics great. In the case of the last Goreaphobia album, the new school old schoolers didn't even really acknowledge the change.

I'm kind of perversely impressed with Gorephobia in a way, for so utterly pulling the wool over the NWN/Dark Descent crowd's eyes. I mean, look at this Metal-Archives review:
Their entire discography is possessed with old-school dirt that chomps like a hungry shark, and thankfully none of the group's horrific habits were dropped during this excellent slab of maggot-infested death metal. "Apocalyptic Necromancy" is a fantastic dive into Goreaphobia if you've never experienced the spell of these American monsters, or you can listen to some fake death metal from the likes of The Black Dahlia Murder or Whitechapel, because real death metal isn't for everyone. Those of you with brain cells and knowledge, take note of this wonderful exhibition.
"Real death metal isn't for everyone." Apparently a very true statement, as evidenced by the author's inability to tell the real stuff from something that just kind of vaguely approximates the aesthetic. Emperor's new clothes and all that.

Demented Omen of Masochism and Morbidious Pathology are still pretty cool, though.

July 24, 2013, 10:25:52 AM
Metal-Archives reviews are almost all status-signalling at this stage, note also the attempt at emulating the grammar and vocabulary of the "professional online metal reviewer" for additional cred ("excellent slab of maggot-infested death metal", "spell of these American monsters" etc.). I don't believe these people are able to listen to extreme metal at all. At best they enjoy or can tolerate the aesthetic, they can't actually hear what is going on except in fragments. I usually put the blame on popular music, which one can appreciate with such passivity that the thought that there is anything else may not occur. A more horrible interpretation is possible; most people are tin-eared and can never appreciate music beyond the utterly simple. The truth is probably a bit of both.

July 25, 2013, 01:33:00 AM
I just stopped by to say damn this is some interesting music. Thanks for whoever originally took the pains to share.