Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Doom and Gloom

Doom and Gloom
April 07, 2012, 04:27:29 PM
I often talk about what would be required to prevent modern society from self-destruction.  

In reality I don't believe that anything will prevent a gradual decay into ruin.  People have talked about this for 100 years and nothing has slowed the onset of internal decay, humans have succumbed to a terminal ideological cancer.  Eventually something will destabilize this situation triggering either total annihilation or rebirth, or regression into a primitive state where we may be outstripped by apes in evolution and become an endangered species.  This doesn't really affect my spirits, as I don't place an absolute value on the continued physical existence of any species, the order of nature will continue.  There is no reason not to try to implement good ideas, just know that work must be performed for its own sake and not for its fruits as the Hindus would say.  The definition of heroism is to do something because it is right even when the situation is completely hopeless, that time is now.

This was my attempt at a motivational speech, I guess I don't have an aptitude for it.

Re: Doom and Gloom
April 07, 2012, 04:32:45 PM
No, it was good.

April 07, 2012, 05:32:49 PM
In reality I don't believe that anything will prevent a gradual decay into ruin.

That was a good speech. A bit short -- do you have visual AIDS? I mean aids. Visual aids. Right.

I don't agree.

In fact, I think starting in 2009 there has been a world revolt against liberalism, which is the intermediate cause of our decay.

That in turn is spurring interest in reviving the intelligent ways of life.

Will everyone come along? Do we want all of them? We should think carefully here. It's not a mission to save the world; it's a mission to save the good people, who are probably 1/5 to 2/5 of the population.

The rest are chaff and if we drown them in swamps or they die of bad heroin is irrelevant.

April 07, 2012, 05:51:38 PM
Free heroin, to anyone who wants it.
With one proviso:
Consumption must take place within the gated walls of a comfortable institution.
A honey-pot.

April 07, 2012, 07:55:13 PM
Perfect. Sort of like the original Planned Parenthood idea but more effective.

Phoenix

April 07, 2012, 09:40:02 PM
Free heroin, to anyone who wants it.
With one proviso:
Consumption must take place within the gated walls of a comfortable institution.
A honey-pot.

We're already giving people plenty of sugar and junk food, the trouble is we're paying for their medical bills as well.

April 07, 2012, 10:02:46 PM
Do you pay taxes?

Phoenix

April 07, 2012, 10:32:10 PM
Do you pay taxes?

Yes, that's one of the ways we pay for their medical bills, as I just said.. the other way is that they increase the cost of private healthcare coverage...

April 07, 2012, 10:56:07 PM
I think that's the first response you've made that hasn't been either some obvious attack, or a veiled one.
I like it more than your others.
It contains information.
That's what a conversation is.
Information exchange.

Phoenix

April 07, 2012, 11:39:45 PM
SURELY you jest. Do I pay taxes? Of course I pay taxes. And of course I was attacking you in my reply. Why would you ask if I pay taxes?!

You know what I detest, it's when a group of people mean to have a discussion and it proceeds as follows: the topic is a complex one, say spirituality or politics, and by the end each person has managed to convey their unique perspective to the group. They've shared their ideas, and understand more-or-less where each other is coming from. How quaint. How daintily quaint. Of course, everyone's views were respected throughout the discussion, oh yes. And now everyone knows that Marcy is a Wiccan, Rob follows Zen, Lisa is a Christian and Brett is Pagan. There's a sense of community now that each person has had this pigeon-hole glimpse of everyone else. There's been real human-to-human interaction.

April 07, 2012, 11:42:00 PM
You prefer pistols at dawn?
You can die like that, you know.
Really die.

Phoenix

April 07, 2012, 11:43:52 PM
Oh yeah I forgot, knowledge is dangerous. Argument, discourse and evolution of ideas is stagnating. Surface-level conversation is where it's at. Silly me.

April 07, 2012, 11:50:23 PM
My goodness.
Your whole tone has changed, since you first got a hard-on for me.
You started from a position of assumed superiority, talking down to a child.
Now you grovel in the gutter, like a petulant child.
It's not fair, is it?
No. It's not fair.
It's real.

Phoenix

April 08, 2012, 12:02:51 AM
Actually you haven't been on this forum very long so there's no way you could have known--I post in a variety of personalities, it's all over the place, even trickster-esque. Sort of depends on the state of awareness I'm in at the time.

April 08, 2012, 12:07:13 AM
Well silly me.
And here I was expecting honesty.
All is explained.