Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Mgla

Mgla
April 09, 2012, 10:23:59 PM
What is the low low on this band?

Re: Mgla
April 10, 2012, 03:23:56 PM
Zis band, she stinks!

April 10, 2012, 03:45:59 PM
The 2012 release was quite impressive honestly. I pay almost no mind to anything in Black Metal since 2000, so maybe that is part of why I like it, but was perfect at blending classic black metal elements into expansive and powerful neoclassical compositions. There was no repetition or reliance on cliche, it developed and flowed quite organically. I listened to this album three times in a row before feeling like I needed to hear something else. Where as bands like Xasthur and the like I can pretty readily identify what they're ripping off and what they're trying to do and failing at, this Mgla stood out as unique. Most of the time I hate anything remotely new in black metal, but this drew and kept my attention as soon as I heard it. The form is familiar, but not the function.

I am not nearly as devout a Black Metal listener as I am Death Metal, so maybe it is easier for me to be deceived. What is this band doing wrong? What bands does this mirror?

April 10, 2012, 06:45:54 PM
fucking NWN band

April 11, 2012, 06:11:13 AM
They're on Northern Hertiage, you cunt. They don't even sound like a NWN band.

Mgła is honestly one of the better currently active black metal bands. They started out as some pretty good semi-melodic harsh black metal in the traditional Polish vein, but by the time their first full-length dropped, they were well into their characteristic fusion of neoclassical melody and Burzumesque ambiance. Their best is undoubtedly their new one, which is like Baroque Bach black metal: it's basically a series of very in-depth, subtle variations on a core set of themes. I like how they don't name any of their songs, gets rid of aesthetic distractions. I've heard some people say their melodies are overly "emotional," but they never really struck me that way: their themes (as in musical themes, not lyrical stuff) are generally pretty stoic for black metal. They're one of those bands that seem simple at first, but reveal layers of complexity when you listen more closely. Also, they're pretty catchy!

April 11, 2012, 06:35:27 AM
They're on Northern Hertiage, you cunt. They don't even sound like a NWN band.

Mgła is honestly one of the better currently active black metal bands. They started out as some pretty good semi-melodic harsh black metal in the traditional Polish vein, but by the time their first full-length dropped, they were well into their characteristic fusion of neoclassical melody and Burzumesque ambiance. Their best is undoubtedly their new one, which is like Baroque Bach black metal: it's basically a series of very in-depth, subtle variations on a core set of themes. I like how they don't name any of their songs, gets rid of aesthetic distractions. I've heard some people say their melodies are overly "emotional," but they never really struck me that way: their themes (as in musical themes, not lyrical stuff) are generally pretty stoic for black metal. They're one of those bands that seem simple at first, but reveal layers of complexity when you listen more closely. Also, they're pretty catchy!

I generally don't like weepy melodramatic stuff, and this is nothing like that at all. These compositions were quite powerful. Baroque Bach black metal is exactly what I was thinking. I cant think of a better way to describe this album. In this mode, what else would you point me toward?

April 11, 2012, 01:28:18 PM

April 20, 2012, 03:41:03 PM
It contains emotionality, which can be found elsewhere in modern music, with better expression, while, which is absent also on this recording, metal individualism and emotionality is (almost) nowhere to be found outside of genre. Composition isn't anything exceptional and is, also on level of particular riffs (why they are so weak?), outright effete - like everything else from Twilight to Drudkh. So what's left? It isn't presented in proper way, as I think, that such way, in order to achieve precise goal arbitrarily exist, or at least there were much better attempts in the past. What is presented is not what should be to be relevant, nor even for what it is, if such was its goal, is particularly absorbing. More of a drag und dregs than sturm und drang. It doesn't take enough time to look into what made idea of metal great, while took too much time to look inside modern effete individual and it's "problems", assuming that metal can be what such feminized, deviated and apathetic (not stoic!) individuals wants it to be and that it's theirs to serve their purposes. Their values are different and alien, hence their music must have same traits.

I really don't know how you still get caught by such music, while most of you are clearly familiar with what it's used to, or should be. However, relation of quality of metal to condition of culture is parallel to that of canaries in mines. Metal simply cannot sound differently now.

April 20, 2012, 05:54:49 PM
Metal can be quite feminized, ITNE is a grandiose example of that.

April 21, 2012, 09:06:19 PM
Maybe it could be described as such. Because feminity isn't inherently bad, it just shouldn't be carried into some areas of life as it's poisonous there. While ITNE has got soft and beautiful aesthetic, I still wouldn't call it feminized. What is important is still in place as in every other good metal. It has will and proceed in usual manly manner, while Mgła have on its place vanity, passiveness and psychoanalysis.