Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Context

Context
December 09, 2006, 05:16:09 AM
What many of you don't seem to realize, is that it is the context of a particular movement which cements its sincerity and importance. Too many of you are unwilling to accept the bleak truth and abandon metal; too craven to explore the unknown for something else. Consequently, we have people making idiots of themselves suggesting things like the creation of 'terror metal'. I think that post shows that some of you have hit rock-bottom.

Burzum, Darkthrone, Ildjarn etc. were created in a particular socio-cultural context: Churches were being burned, there was an escalating sense of purpose. Things like these are created rarely, and that is what makes them beautiful (Btw, I say this not in a teleological sense). The thing which annoys me most about metalheads is the stubborn refusal to acknowledge what empirical evidence screams in the form of Summoning's Stronghold and all other contemporary metal: METAL IS DEAD.

(As regards Summoning, there is a blatant tendency amongst contemporary efforts to cloak a latent heavy-metal element in the tried-and-tested aesthetic of the forefathers. When I first heard Summoning's vocalist repeatedly screeching the chorus "Take a ride, why not?, on your rotting horse on the deadly ground" I was in a caught in a paradox of laughter and embarrasment)

Those amongst you attempting to fabricate the next generation of metal ('What's next and who's doin' it?)- Your quest is ludicrous. No amount of deliberation will negate the fact that metal reached its saturation point long ago, that since the commercialization and popularization of the internet, it is increasingly futile to counter the indoctrination of the idiot-masses with music that isn't goal-orientated toward entertainment, that, in essence, the world is going to shit and metal isn't the answer. This is the context against which we attempt to forge another generation, and it clearly isn't conducive. The brief, conflagrant epoch of the early '90s which blessed us with Burzum and company should be infinitely appreciated, because it was the culmination of external factors that don't currently exist. (And that is not to deny the world's degeneration, but rather to say that things have changed such that a movement in a nature similar to that is both unnecessary and improbable, at least as regards its manifestation in the metal persuasion)

Technicality is discussed often us as well. I've heard such gems as (paraphrasing) grindcore never quite reached its full potential and can manifest the aesthetic of the new style of metal. In a word, ludicrous. A fool will interpret this as a call for inertia and complacency- Rather, I'm advocating that those with a mind toward pragmatic idealism will focus on accomplishing something other than fuelling their energies into hopeless endeavors.

My final point, is to consider yourselves as a cultural product, and integral to this is your race. You are born in a genetic context and it is inseperable to your existence. As an Indian, I might appreciate metal, but I'll never attempt to re-create it, for quite simply, there isn't a point; There are other things which need my attention. It was done (In Norway better than elsewhere), and now there are other paths cloaked in virginity. You can appreciate greatness, regardless of where it comes from and regardless of your race- But you're not an individual jESUS that the genre needs. Appreciate the paragons and strive elsewhere. A glance about determines that the world could use you elsewhere.

Re: Context
December 09, 2006, 01:48:58 PM
The socio-political context of metal is for the most part Europeans trying to rediscover a masculine form of Romanticism. That's not dead. The community is temporarily awash in carnies, hipsters, scenesters, crowdists, whatever you want to call them but - people who cannot contribute anything of importance. As a result, the music since 1996 has been dogshit garbage but as soon as this trend dies there will be room for good people to create again.

I suggest two courses of action:

1. Praise only the good, and scorn the OK, mediocre, acceptable and sort of good (and the bad).
2. Work toward higher standards in all things. This includes, if you're a musician, learning music well and aiming high in your work. No CD-R bands. Get good, get a demo out, and get signed or put out a full CD yourself.

December 09, 2006, 04:45:13 PM
I think that even though the newer metal is not good at all, I think perception among metal is getting better.  It's nice to hear that people are realizing that KoRn and Guns and Roses are NOT metal, and that metalcore is crap.  This, of course, only applies to non-metal fans.

In that sense, it's the metal community that needs to shape up.  I could imagine in the future, the word metal and art being put in the same sentence by the general public, but not if metal is going to drift into some kind of mediocre imitation game.  There really hasn't been anything to interesting in metal since the early 90s.  That needs to change, and I guess me typing paragraphs on how it needs to change isn't making it happen any sooner.

I must be out of the loop.  I have never heard of "Terror Metal", but seeing the name gave me that feeling of embarrassment and laughter that you mentioned.  I guess there is too much preasure on naming the new metal movement.  Of course, there needs to be a new movement before you can name it.

December 09, 2006, 08:32:27 PM
people like to impress there friends by knowing stupid trivia questions so theres literally a new genre for every single modern band, if you say to your friend this band is some obscure genre and you tell them the exact date they formed and the original line up they are going to be impressed.

I think i term Hessian was used for people like us so we don't get confused with the cannibal corpse or cradle fans. Its a word to show we know the difference between immortal and trivium and we are aware of of the artistic value of metal. I also like the term because few people are aware of it so not every wannabe calls themselves it. IF we just use that term we don't have to worry about the public eye or the hipsters and can focus on works of importance as opposed to works of mediocre value

December 10, 2006, 12:30:04 AM
Well if people are looking for good metal, I would suggest not looking toward newly named genres.  While genres contain usually about 6-7 good bands each, they are well known for also carrying thousands (literally thousands) of crappy bands in addition.

Perhaps it would be a better idea to look toward bands who stray away from any genre.  Someone who shows originality.  The more alien it sounds, the better the chance that you aren't listening to a rehash of crap.  

December 10, 2006, 04:28:39 AM
if you take that idea you will shun the originals of the genre and not learn anything... "no immortal suck because they sound like boring black metal"

but i suggest not bothering with new genres at all, you can listen to the bands from them but don't think of them as some obscure genre but rather a variation on the main genres

December 10, 2006, 02:07:58 PM
I meant it purely in a jaded way.  The way genres are today, you are better off not wasting your time with them.  It's not the 80s anymore.  It's not like there are all those artists constantly breaking ground and a need to define it.  Now you have artists just mixing up the same slop and giving new names to it.  

December 10, 2006, 07:46:06 PM
We need to revive a scene so that people will be interested in joining, rally around things like growing multiculturalism, overpopulation, indiscriminate breeding, pollution, pop culture, and pop spirituality.

There are no musical scenes or movements anymore, now it's all involving black people, east coast/west coast rap rivalries, the Game vs. Dr. Dre, this vapid stupidity is the only musical scene happening anymore.

There will be musicians who will be leaders of the scene but not all of us are skilled or interested in playing instruments. So we need ideas on what the rest of us can do as part of the scene besides going to shows, supporting the musicians we like, sharing music online. I suggest possibly hacking into websites run by the mainstream media, kidnapping famous politicians, setting houses on fire that are part of expanding subdivisions encroaching on what was once land of the wild, human sacrifices (fake ones but make people think they're real), and vandalizing churches.

The original poster is right, remember your culture and your race and as a white man I am damn embarassed of what has passed for white music the past 10 years. Let the revolution begin!

December 10, 2006, 07:52:08 PM
uh, yes I am certainly embarrassed by white people lately and am one.  

I think scenes are the problem though.  They are what invite commercialization.  Finding that common bond between bands and then exploiting it.   Also, as far as getting people to join, there is certainly no shortage of people wanting to play heavy metal music.  What is needed is original artists who transend scenes.  I know that is very unlikely to happen.

I think anyone who reads that History of Metal page that was posted earlier in this thread will see that making new scenes is the whole problem.

December 10, 2006, 08:37:40 PM
the idea of a scene is not needed anymore, it was when the internet was new or simply wasn't there you needed to know people and have connections in order to get the tapes you wanted and you also had to participate (trading your own tapes) in order for it to work. Since the internet came about we can use that to easily can information and no scene ever since has been needed

December 11, 2006, 12:31:55 AM
Yes. The Internet has changed everything. I think the future for now is we will only connect ourselves musically through online interaction. It follows that we also need to end the practice of speech and face to face interactions with the exception of our loved ones. I already do this now, and people mock me saying I am avoidant or schizoid. They don't know I have evolved to what future society shall be. I will laugh one day when they feel left behind and lonely.

December 11, 2006, 01:49:54 AM
Yes. The Internet has changed everything. I think the future for now is we will only connect ourselves musically through online interaction. It follows that we also need to end the practice of speech and face to face interactions with the exception of our loved ones. I already do this now, and people mock me saying I am avoidant or schizoid. They don't know I have evolved to what future society shall be. I will laugh one day when they feel left behind and lonely.

End face to face interactions?  If you want to give yourself over to modernity, then go ahead and do so and leave the rest of us who are trying to maintain a connection to the real world and nature.  I don't see why you think becoming reliant on technology is going help you any.  But by all means, build your crutch and join the modern world in it's need to connect the world.

December 11, 2006, 03:05:24 AM
rwja that is a stupid idea. What makes you think that human interaction is negative? Certainly some people are stupid and should be avoided, but would you deny the worthwhile people because of the dregs. Post 1996 metal is crap, has that made you avoid the greats? Your missing the holistic implications of black metal; romanticist love of live.  If the future lies in  hiding in our rooms and only talking to family or immediate friends, then what value does anus.com have? You advocate the denial of will to power by being shackled by the ugly parts of society. The website is devoted to changing society to something better, yet you posit that we should abandon society and cease interaction.

The norwegian second wave was strong because they operated as a healthy society. The band members were friends, they practiced eugenics by disallowing inferior bands to progress in the scene (fenriz mentions this in an interview) and they all shared a common goal.  This model lead to great acheivments, your vision will only lead to another shitty myspace/cd-r band.
Rise Arjuna

December 11, 2006, 04:07:01 AM
An Observation:

I've witnessed that speculation on future metal is being strangled by rhetoric pertaining to 'scenes' and other mechanisms of the now dead era. My normative suggestion is to abandon the idea of the next manifestation of (what I'll call for the sake of cohesion amongst various schools of erudite thought) ANUS values through something which is explicitly metal as per its categorization. If people have the wisdom and pragmatic inclination to preserve these values in music, it might not be metal in which it is manifested, but rather something else, which will retain sanity only through contextual understanding.

It is the case that people are focusing on metal itself, rather than the values of metal, and this is partially the cause of stagnancy, even amongst the better. I say again, it is my conviction that the traditional module for metal is finished, and that to preserve its message, an alternate form of communication is necessary. Today's metal is lifeless entertainment, and introducing minor disturbances to aesthetic will not halt this, merely poorly disguise it.

In response to Metalist:

I am not a staff writer for this site, though perhaps I should be pleased at the suggestion.

December 11, 2006, 12:00:52 PM
Has anyone here got a sense of humour, or maybe just their wits close at hand?

rwja was obviously joking about surviving only on the internet in retort to the assumption that no metal scene exists today because of technology.