Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Context

Re: Context
December 13, 2006, 02:57:32 AM
What was this thread about again. The original topic stimulated discussion, this petty argument has turned into compost.

December 13, 2006, 09:07:25 AM
While I tend to agree with the idea that art that outlives its context ceases to be relevant, I don't see this as a particular problem for metal.  The social milieu of Western society hasn't changed substantially since the late 1960s, and I don't see it changing radically any time soon.  In that environment, metal remains just as relevant as the day the opening chord of "Black Sabbath" first wafted through a Birmingham dive.

December 13, 2006, 09:33:48 AM
blitzkrieg:

1)  I'm gay

2) You're beautiful

3) I have little to no friends, and play an online RPG for most of the day

4) I am 16 years old

5) You're right about everything, I'm a dick.

December 13, 2006, 12:31:03 PM
While I tend to agree with the idea that art that outlives its context ceases to be relevant, I don't see this as a particular problem for metal.  The social milieu of Western society hasn't changed substantially since the late 1960s, and I don't see it changing radically any time soon.  In that environment, metal remains just as relevant as the day the opening chord of "Black Sabbath" first wafted through a Birmingham dive.

I know what you mean.  When Black Sabbath wrote Into the Void and War Pigs, they thought they were writing politically based music, and didn't even realize that they were actually also writing phylosophical music as well, since the things they spoke of are eternal and unchanging and just a sign of human nature.

Annihilaytorr

December 13, 2006, 01:18:56 PM

All very true, but I see the house of cards crashing down in a dramatic fashion very soon, within our life time for sure.  Although our interests come this point will shift away from music, I still wonder what that will bring for Metal.

December 13, 2006, 09:36:52 PM
metal (in all forms) will remain relevant until this superficial world we live in collapses, then metal will no longer be with us but since it served its purpose it will gladly fade into (more) obscurity

December 13, 2006, 11:37:06 PM
To be completely honest, Josef K's ideas are generally solid, but the pompous, over decorated way that he turns a basic, and completely obvious, two line idea into three or four drawn out paragraphs is reminiscent of a those he is so offended by - profligate bandwidth users (there is an apt analogy of the modern man buried behind that phrase somewhere...). It is almost satirical, I can hardly take him seriously.

Although he is quite the unintentional comedian - fancy such a man calling another arrogant!

Why he wastes his times spewing out such tripe is beyond me. There is so much timeless music out there that I am not particularly concerned if no more rises. It would be excellent if it did, of course. It seems that the desperation that "something must be done" is holding a lot of people back, turned useful ideas into forced artistic expressions. Have patience instead of rushing towards the gate like a mad bull at a red piece of torn material. Did we not learn anything at all from the Ancients?

Annihilaytorr

December 14, 2006, 07:10:56 AM
99% of this forum wasn't there for the golden ages of Death and Black metal, but wishes they were. That is the impetus behind this.

December 14, 2006, 07:42:07 AM

All very true, but I see the house of cards crashing down in a dramatic fashion very soon, within our life time for sure.  Although our interests come this point will shift away from music, I still wonder what that will bring for Metal.

I think we'll see the world move toward a tipping point in the next 25-40 years, but I don't think we'll reach a breaking point until agriculture starts to fail globally.

Annihilaytorr

December 14, 2006, 02:40:29 PM
A food shortage would certainly do it, but that could happen relatively soon with the specter of a super pest impervious to pesticides looming. I think a more likely scenario will revolve around an economic depression and fuel crisis (think the food lines of the 1930s). The majority of non-Europeans and undesirables in the West rely wholly on the Welfare State for survival. The resulting decrease of social handouts following a depression will cause riotous outrage in the proletariat. Social unrest, class warfare, and more importantly race and cultural divides will widen enormously.

There has been genocide of one form or another in Europe for thousands of years - with WW II being some abstract event in history books at that stage, don't look for things to be dramatically different there...

What are your thoughts?

December 15, 2006, 03:58:37 AM
Jozef K,

While parts of what you say are true, the conclusion that Metal is dead is somehow short sighted.  
Metal is old would be a better view.  The albums are still available in the stores, the good old days or not completely gone.
In my short experience with Metal, I've done no more then discoverring old bands.  It's not some new, fake band that got me in, it's the veterans.  The real thing is still there, it's just not on the frontrow anymore.  You have to search for it, if you are new.  

Basically, what we experience with the new bands is a thrive to the exteme.  Just like in the electronic music, people are, in the accoustic genre, trying to go for harder, louder, extremer.  That results in metalcore and it's derives.  
Instead of being different, we are now "harder".  The best way to express yourself as a Headbanger these days is by wearing the right clothes.  That's a commercial image of wich we have to get rid off.  Only if we get back to originality, metal will revive.  Until then, it's just asleep.  

December 15, 2006, 02:50:32 PM
A food shortage would certainly do it, but that could happen relatively soon with the specter of a super pest impervious to pesticides looming. I think a more likely scenario will revolve around an economic depression and fuel crisis (think the food lines of the 1930s). The majority of non-Europeans and undesirables in the West rely wholly on the Welfare State for survival. The resulting decrease of social handouts following a depression will cause riotous outrage in the proletariat. Social unrest, class warfare, and more importantly race and cultural divides will widen enormously.

There has been genocide of one form or another in Europe for thousands of years - with WW II being some abstract event in history books at that stage, don't look for things to be dramatically different there...

What are your thoughts?

i always thought overpopulation would get to a point where food is scarce and resources are stretched beyond what they can normally provide, our ideas are completely the same but the coarse for as seems to be different (and my ideas would take a hundred or so more years and years could happen in the next twenty)

December 26, 2006, 10:37:45 PM
Originally posted by Thamuz:
"There is so much timeless music out there that I am not particularly concerned if no more rises. It would be excellent if it did, of course. It seems that the desperation that "something must be done" is holding a lot of people back, turned useful ideas into forced artistic expressions. Have patience instead of rushing towards the gate like a mad bull at a red piece of torn material. Did we not learn anything at all from the Ancients? "

Beautifully put.  I couldn't agree more.

December 26, 2006, 11:02:01 PM
I have to agree with basically everything that Josef said.  Only a totally insecure dipshit would be offended by the "tone" of someone's post or the words they use to express their ideas.  Who gives a shit about Josef as long as his ideas are right on point?  

Anyway, all bullshit aside, i share the belief that its useless for this new generation of metal fans to try and express themselves in the same tongue as Burzum, early Deicide, early Morbid Angel, early Suffocation, Seance, etc.  Even though metal was significant in pointing out the insanity of society and humanity as a whole, most people in society have not woken up to the fact that they're being controlled by the same central force from which those above mentioned vital bands separated themselves from.  The current metal scene has caved in and accepted social pressure like a cornered child.  I hope im correct when i say that i think Josef is saying that metal's only real future is to address these philosophical/political/cultural issues that are relevant to our day and age (however similar they may be to the view of the conditions under which former great bands existed) in a different musical language....and consequently under a style that isn't "metal" in the sense that we understand it.  

April 25, 2015, 04:12:07 AM
(As regards Summoning, there is a blatant tendency amongst contemporary efforts to cloak a latent heavy-metal element in the tried-and-tested aesthetic of the forefathers. When I first heard Summoning's vocalist repeatedly screeching the chorus "Take a ride, why not?, on your rotting horse on the deadly ground" I was in a caught in a paradox of laughter and embarrasment)

No truer words have been spoken.  ;D

But actually it isn't all that bad, the first couple of tracks at least left pheromonal traces of vir in their wake. It's almost worth it just for that. So without experimenting and taking the risk on Stronghold, I doubt they could have achieved what they did on those last two albums with such mastery.