Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

"NWN bands"

"NWN bands"
April 11, 2012, 03:43:18 AM
fucking NWN band

This meme sort of left me behind. Does it mean (a) bands on the NWN label or (b) bands that the loudest posters in the NWN forum seem to like?

I'd rather not insult NWN; it's a great label.

The post-FMP666 people in that forum should inherit any criticism they've brought on themselves, but please don't tar the regular users with this idiocy.

Re: "NWN bands"
April 11, 2012, 06:04:23 AM
I didn't know this was a meme. NWN is a good label, but when I think of a "NWN band" in a negative context, I think of one of those more boring "war metal" bands, the ones with names like Abominatortank or Deth Machinez or Ejaculator A.I.D.S. Projectile. Blasphemy/Conqueror rip-off shit, you know? Seems like way too much focus on aesthetics (bullet belts, leather, weird pseudonyms, "offensive" lyrics, "primitive" riffs) and not enough on actual songwriting or originality.

I'm not discounting the style entirely: Blasphemy is one of my favorites; I might not care for Conqueror, but I can appreciate their music for being pretty well-written; Beherit is of course classic, and bands like Diocletian and Sacramentary Abolishment/Axis of Advance show that there is certainly a lot of interesting potential in the style. I'd say that there is a parallel between the "NWN band" situation and a lot of other dismissive mimetic labels. I dig Crypticus, Decrepitaph, Hooded Menace, and Claws (and the first Acid Witch album, but for different reasons; it's like a death-metal-ized version of the best of N.W.O.B.H.M.), but there's a lot of bands on Razorback that try too hard to fit into the horror movies/old school death metal mold and completely fail at doing anything interesting musically, which might be one of the reasons that people discount that label's stuff.

April 11, 2012, 07:15:46 AM
Nice to see this meme shut down. There are some suck ass bands on the label but also there are many of the better bands going right now as well.

April 11, 2012, 11:00:13 AM
I didn't know this was a meme. NWN is a good label, but when I think of a "NWN band" in a negative context, I think of one of those more boring "war metal" bands, the ones with names like Abominatortank or Deth Machinez or Ejaculator A.I.D.S. Projectile. Blasphemy/Conqueror rip-off shit, you know? Seems like way too much focus on aesthetics (bullet belts, leather, weird pseudonyms, "offensive" lyrics, "primitive" riffs) and not enough on actual songwriting or originality.

I'm not discounting the style entirely: Blasphemy is one of my favorites; I might not care for Conqueror, but I can appreciate their music for being pretty well-written; Beherit is of course classic, and bands like Diocletian and Sacramentary Abolishment/Axis of Advance show that there is certainly a lot of interesting potential in the style. I'd say that there is a parallel between the "NWN band" situation and a lot of other dismissive mimetic labels.

Seconded.

I may be a bit more aggressive in my displeasure for War Metal but I don't think I ever become abusive. I freely admit that I to used to enjoy it very much. The NWN *forum culture* may dominate the market-demograph and encourage some things like myopia and materialism in Hessiandom. Even I read the forum. I like and own *some* NWN releases. All of these things should not create a dilemma that prevents me from voicing my opinion about certain bands that I feel are overrated, or over-invested in. To hone in on the proper grievances would serve best for specification's sake, so....

I'd rather not insult NWN; it's a great label.

The post-FMP666 people in that forum should inherit any criticism they've brought on themselves, but please don't tar the regular users with this idiocy.

I like this, and honestly, I can think of eight-hundred slurs off the top of my head that would seem befitting for *some*-not all, of their users, aside from the marginal "NWN Acolyte."

April 11, 2012, 01:14:35 PM
NWN bands are bands that are really liked by people on the NWN forum. Kult fanbois. It's all war metal and Blasphemy clones.

April 11, 2012, 01:23:13 PM
NWN bands are bands that are really liked by people on the NWN forum. Kult fanbois. It's all war metal and Blasphemy clones.

And Mgla. Don't forget them.

Dude, Dead Congregation and Ignivomous are on NWN. Case already closed. The label rules.

April 11, 2012, 01:56:23 PM

And Mgla. Don't forget them.

Dude, Dead Congregation and Ignivomous are on NWN. Case already closed. The label rules.

Also  they repress some great old stuff like ATG "Gardens of Grief" on Vinyl. One of the best examples of Death Metal mastercraft.

THIS beautiful piece of material, http://www.nwnprod.com/?p=1631, is a treasure. Herein, I acclimate to the materialism I'm talking about in my previous post. Though, this release deserves a great format and presentation.

I don't think taste is an issue, but whoever runs the label probably understands the market, and for War Metal, there must be a market.

April 11, 2012, 06:48:52 PM
Ejaculator A.I.D.S. Projectile

Thanks for the new band name.

As others said, I appreciate NWN as a distro. Yosuke knows his clients and he's a true lifer in my eyes. Does it for the experience and because he loves metal; the money seems to be a secondary concern for him.

The roster, however, has its fair share of duds. Most of them are retro-for-the-sake of it crap or dime a dozen "war metal". It seems hilarious to me that the concept of "war" could be rendered boring.

April 11, 2012, 08:28:12 PM
I'm.... 60/40 on his stuff probably which is an amazing ratio for me, for Profound Lore or HHR it's probably 10/90 or some comperable ratio... he runs a great distro too....

As for the forum, I'm a regular there and it's got it's share of dreamers and sillyhearts, but at least the focus is music.... can't say that about too many places these days.

April 13, 2012, 10:14:46 AM

Also  they repress some great old stuff like ATG "Gardens of Grief" on Vinyl. One of the best examples of Death Metal mastercraft.

That was released by Century Media; NWN just got the green version.

As to the label, it's fucking fantastic regardless of the somewhat frequent Blasphemy-clone release. I've recently been digging Yog-Sothots http://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandcamp.com/album/black-power-metal