Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Morbid Angel: Covenant thoughts....

Adventure_Man

Morbid Angel: Covenant thoughts....
December 13, 2006, 07:44:06 PM
Hey guys wonderful forums!  Just wanted to hear opinions on this (constructive...or destructive lol).  In '93 I listened to Morbid Angels song Rapture for the first time (it was on Mtv head bangers ball).  Completely blown away, I went to the record store (ah..before the mp3) and bought the cassette "Morbid Angel : Covenant".  At the time I loved it, but as the years went by the tape melted in my glove compartment.  
Well recently I had the pleasure of listening to it again!  And it is only now that I realize what a landmark album it was.  Completely underrated and mostly misunderstood (probably because of the death metal/satan stuff inherent in it).  
I think to myself also, damn this album came out during the dark ages of metal (the dreaded 90's), and it's a masterpiece.  Beautiful caucophony of sounds!  But unlike other death metal albums it just worked, the beats were there, the vocals came in and hit it. The dysphony of the guitar solos, sometimes giving one the sense of being out of tune, just hit the fu@kin spot dead on! IMHO this album ranks up there with some of the great metal albums of all time.  Anyhoo, just wondering what peoples opinions on this album are.  

Annihilaytorr

Re: Morbid Angel: Covenant thoughts....
December 13, 2006, 08:00:23 PM
This album, like the two before it, is a classic by most accounts in the metal world, and for good reason.  The real underrated Morbid Angel album is Formula's Fatal to the Flesh.

Adventure_Man

December 13, 2006, 08:30:35 PM
thanks wolf.  I think what turned me off from Morbid Angel was not backtracking their previous albums.  Also I remember when Domination was released I was really upset, it just didn't live up to my expectations.  So I sorta let Morbid Angel die.  I'm definitely gonna check out some of their older material now.  I'm not a huge death metal fan, but this album just grabbed me by the balls and drew me in.  I honestly feel Covenant is an album that could bring alot of main stream metal heads in and show them what Death metal is all about.  There are far too many people that just blow off death M., after a few seconds of listening to it.  There is so much potential in the death metal genre,  it just can't be denied.

December 13, 2006, 09:22:48 PM
each album was a step forward for them up to there pinnacle in blessed are the sick, from there though there works repeated themselves without the same thought that made the originally albums  and eventual they just became another band that tried to blow everyone with technical ability alone

December 14, 2006, 01:22:26 PM
Covenant was their pivot point, like And Justice for All or South of Heaven, when they both got the death metal part right and started to think mainstream metal but then they went after the lure of easy $$$ and we know how easy that takes a nigga down.

December 14, 2006, 01:44:03 PM
This album, like the two before it, is a classic by most accounts in the metal world, and for good reason.  The real underrated Morbid Angel album is Formula's Fatal to the Flesh.

FFF is truly an underrated album. The last three tracks are out of place or crap, I won't contest that. The rest of the album, however, is very good and borders on great.

Adventure_Man

December 14, 2006, 03:48:36 PM

Get the candles lit, close the shades, Brother Vincent will be with us in a few moments.

December 14, 2006, 05:08:56 PM
Personally ... Covenant is my favorite ablum by MA - Beginning to end its killer - God Of Emptiness is one of there best tracks ever.

Adventure_Man

December 14, 2006, 10:08:36 PM
"Yeah we sold out.....WE SOLD OUT EVERY NIGHT!"

- Lars Ulrich

December 15, 2006, 05:41:51 AM
"Yeah we sold out.....WE SOLD OUT EVERY NIGHT!"

- Lars Ulrich

Leave it to this guy to judged everything on profit.

Annihilaytorr

December 15, 2006, 10:19:38 AM
God of Emptiness would fit right in on any obscure European Death/doom album of the same period with no problem.

For the record, Beavis and Butt panned it.

Adventure_Man

December 15, 2006, 09:30:02 PM
hu hu you said peeriod.

December 17, 2006, 12:57:57 PM
God of Emptiness would fit right in on any obscure European Death/doom album of the same period with no problem.

It seems very chorus heavy to me, which makes it sound like a pop song. "Rapture" was an obvious attempt to capture Slayer's audience but it worked. That song is killer.

TC

December 20, 2006, 04:56:50 AM
sooo.... the '90's were "the dark ages of metal"?  news to me.

December 20, 2006, 02:26:33 PM
Covenant is my favorite morbid angel album, saw them live a few months ago at Wacken, so great