Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Morbid Angel: Covenant thoughts....

Re: Morbid Angel: Covenant thoughts....
December 23, 2006, 04:46:44 PM
Covenant was more in the vein of Altars of Madness than Blessed are the Sick but not as powerfull as the former and not as adventurous as the latter. Its still very good, but i dont listen to it as much.

The copy of AOM i have came with a dvd of them playing live in 1989. so fucking amazing...

December 29, 2006, 06:20:37 PM
Covenant was more in the vein of Altars of Madness than Blessed are the Sick but not as powerfull as the former and not as adventurous as the latter.

"Altars of Madness" was almost a concept album about death metal, although it was songs put together with an intro and not a "true" concept album. "Blessed Are the Sick" was much more like a true concept album. Covenant is a collection of songs, but isn't as powerful as either. Yet there's still some good stuff on there.

Nile577

January 30, 2007, 12:23:11 PM
I found this today:

"Hi...I wanted to tell you some news regarding Sterling Von Scarborough

For 6 years he was my roommate and sometimes lover. On November 9th, 2006, at about 7pm when I came home form work, I found him dead in my closet. He had committed suicide during the day by hanging himself with the expensive wool scarf I bought him 5 years ago. I told the management of Morbid Angel, and they said they would forward the news to Trey and the rest of the band. Sterling was cremated on November 16th, and his ashes were cast off the sea cliffs at the Marin Headlands above the Bonita Lighthouse by the Golden Gate where he and I used to spend many hours alone together. I'm going up there again to do my on ritual and to give my final goodbyes to him this Saturday. He leaves behind his mom, stepdad, younger bother (Greg), and sister (Sonia), along with a number of nieces and nephews who adored their uncle Sterling, the musician. There's a void in my heart that no one else could begin to fill. I loved him more than anymore before, and I'll never love anyone as much as I did him ever again. "

http://www.morbidboard.com/mabb/viewtopic.php?t=22445

(source = David Vincent?)

January 31, 2007, 04:11:09 PM
What was that?

childrengrinder-br

January 31, 2007, 11:03:55 PM
wonderful record from morbid angel

have ya listened centurian? i guess ya will aprecciate it

February 01, 2007, 11:11:32 PM
I found this today:

"Hi...I wanted to tell you some news regarding Sterling Von Scarborough

For 6 years he was my roommate and sometimes lover. On November 9th, 2006, at about 7pm when I came home form work, I found him dead in my closet. He had committed suicide during the day by hanging himself with the expensive wool scarf I bought him 5 years ago. I told the management of Morbid Angel, and they said they would forward the news to Trey and the rest of the band. Sterling was cremated on November 16th, and his ashes were cast off the sea cliffs at the Marin Headlands above the Bonita Lighthouse by the Golden Gate where he and I used to spend many hours alone together. I'm going up there again to do my on ritual and to give my final goodbyes to him this Saturday. He leaves behind his mom, stepdad, younger bother (Greg), and sister (Sonia), along with a number of nieces and nephews who adored their uncle Sterling, the musician. There's a void in my heart that no one else could begin to fill. I loved him more than anymore before, and I'll never love anyone as much as I did him ever again. "

http://www.morbidboard.com/mabb/viewtopic.php?t=22445

Haven't rumors of Vincent's sexuality floated about for years? After that stint in "Genitorturers" or whatever they were called...who knows. That would be distressing news, that is certain.

February 01, 2007, 11:59:30 PM

Nope.

ICONEGRO

February 02, 2007, 12:18:35 AM
As long as the man is a top (as opposed to a bottom) he's okay with me.

Wolfbane

February 02, 2007, 12:18:38 AM
By the way David Vincent is married and probably his "roommate" is his wife.  this seems like a joke.

February 04, 2007, 05:32:19 PM
'Covenant' is an excellent example of metal music betraying a pop aesthetic. Far more accessible then the prior three albums, it works extremely well on many levels; not least being extremely catchy and simplistic yet also complex (oh, the paradox of a good metal album, eh?) at other points.

Lyrically it also works well, which is no great surprise, Morbid Angel providing some of the better lyrics within metal IMO. 'God of Emptiness' may be easier to get to grips with than their earlier material, but this simplicity exhudes a grandeur in keeping with the satanic philosophy of the lyrics underpinning the piece. Lovely stuff.  

A "fast" album that never loses it's impact much like 'Transylvanian Hunger' and the Thorns album.

February 17, 2007, 01:34:47 PM
Something that struck me recently with this album, aesthetically, is the wonderful detail given to the drum sound; the kit is tuned (and accordingly mixed) in such a way to give the music a rolling, heavily martial feel (see "Pain Divine" for a great example), which works great as an underlying theme.  It all rests heavily on Sandoval's abilities to transcribe the melody and melodic rhythm appropriately, something I think he probably does better than almost anybody ever has in metal.  One of the few who managed to transcend mere "rhythm" and move (death metal) drumming to a more highly expressive role.

February 17, 2007, 08:36:43 PM
By the way David Vincent is married and probably his "roommate" is his wife.  this seems like a joke.

David Vincent is notorious in the "old" underground for his homosexual/bisexual tendencies. His being "married" doesn't change any of that.

July 01, 2007, 03:26:38 PM
This was a good album, and would have been a great one if some of the filler dropped out and they'd spent more time reworking those songs. There are plenty of hasty spaces where you can tell the usual degree of thinking and focus didn't occur. Obviously, it was even worse on Domination.

Divus_de_Mortuus

July 01, 2007, 11:42:38 PM
The militaristic feel is caused by a metronome the band used on the album providing a ridged backbone to build the songs around, which at the same time gives it the limited feel others have alluded to.

For the record, God of Emptiness was a song that existed since the days of Altars of Madness. Here is a rehearsal from 1990 where a snippet of God of Emptiness is played.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dl9zP1kj5Dw

GS

July 01, 2007, 11:55:59 PM
This is stupidly over-analizing but it actually sounds like the little di-di-do-di-do~~ bit from GOE and then riff from Caesars Palace.