Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Death metal from Africa

aimanirrajim

Re: Death metal from Africa
February 19, 2007, 04:00:36 AM
wow, the sample had some great transcendent neoclassical riffing that resembles the echoing voice of a bygone era that longs for emergence in the paradigm of a decaying, decadent society.

I'll be looking for more CRACKDUST in the future.  I wonder if they'll cover Ildjarn?
What? why would they want to cover Ildjarn?

February 19, 2007, 06:50:08 AM
i spotted sarcasm  ;)

February 19, 2007, 05:02:33 PM
why would they want to cover Ildjarn?

Why wouldn't they want to cover Ildjarn?

June 30, 2009, 12:19:00 AM
You are having a laugh, right?  

This simple distinction between 'black' and 'white' is ludicrous. Literally millennia before black metal, the Hindu mythological literature expressed a reverence and appreciation for nature, and a holistic conception of the world nearly fascist in its emphasis on the communal life. It was a culture of heroism and strife- However, according to you, the dark pigmentation of their skin excludes them from appreciating a congruence of values manifested in Burzum etc.

Burzum is music for Odin, not Shiva. You're completely missing my point: those Hindus would have their own music. Why should they need Burzum?

You say ludicrous? Imagine this: you're walking through the rainforest. Suddenly you find a tribe that still lives by the ways of their ancient traditions and customs. Well... except for the sony discmans they are carrying while they listen to Graveland and Burzum. I would call that ludicrous.

Obviously this Crackdust band is transient entertainment, but this idea that the values of metal are 'white' is incorrect.

Compare the values of metal to those of rap, both these forms of music emerged around the same time so there's nothing wrong with using them as examples of cultural expression. Look at the majority of listeners and creators in metal: they are white. I would even dare say that most of the Brazilian bands are of white heritage. White people are naturally attracted to metal, as blacks are naturally attracted to hiphop, soul, etc. Any person who is conscious of his/her race and culture will want to hear music which correlates to those.

Hmm....i guess that i must be a freak of nature. I   have been into heavy music since i was 10, i can't take rap or any type of mainstream music seriously because its just too stupid. The demographics have changed anyway, blacks are not the only ones who listen to metal and if you want to see a south american band with members of black origin check out Mystifier. Personally i think its quite stupid to put boundaries on an art form such as music, especially if its good.

June 30, 2009, 12:26:43 AM
Quite the fail and totally embarrassing.

July 16, 2009, 01:40:19 AM
You're kidding right? Asia and Australia have produced metal bands since metal began! Ever heard of AC/DC? And there won't be another metal revolution! Most of what could ever be done has already been done, are the albums that exist already not good enough for you?

One more thing: I personally think Africans should stick to rap or reggae or other black music. Rap is for blacks, metal is for whites, anything in between is a travesty. Excuse me, but why the fuck would anyone want Africans to make metal anyway? So they can be more like whites? It seems to me only bad things can come from this. Let them stick to their own culture, and let us stick to ours.

Someone posted a thread about a death metal band from Africa, a place not usually associated with metal. The first thing you could bring up was the color of their skin. What the fuck does that have to do with wanting to play the kind of music you love?! It's like your saying it's a crime to be black and wanting to like/play metal. I hope you know that instruments like the guitar and especially drums were all invented in Africa, meaning that they come from no other than...that's right, blacks! So if you wanna go really really REALLY way back concerning metals origins, then it came from none other than...that's right, Africa! Metal should be about freedom, and not setting boundaries and being supportive of each other as a subculture.

P.S. This band is actually pretty good, even though they don't really bring anything new to the plate, but that wasn't supposed to be the point in this thread anyway.

July 16, 2009, 03:41:35 AM
You're kidding right? Asia and Australia have produced metal bands since metal began! Ever heard of AC/DC? And there won't be another metal revolution! Most of what could ever be done has already been done, are the albums that exist already not good enough for you?

One more thing: I personally think Africans should stick to rap or reggae or other black music. Rap is for blacks, metal is for whites, anything in between is a travesty. Excuse me, but why the fuck would anyone want Africans to make metal anyway? So they can be more like whites? It seems to me only bad things can come from this. Let them stick to their own culture, and let us stick to ours.

Someone posted a thread about a death metal band from Africa, a place not usually associated with metal. The first thing you could bring up was the color of their skin. What the fuck does that have to do with wanting to play the kind of music you love?! It's like your saying it's a crime to be black and wanting to like/play metal. I hope you know that instruments like the guitar and especially drums were all invented in Africa, meaning that they come from no other than...that's right, blacks! So if you wanna go really really REALLY way back concerning metals origins, then it came from none other than...that's right, Africa! Metal should be about freedom, and not setting boundaries and being supportive of each other as a subculture.

P.S. This band is actually pretty good, even though they don't really bring anything new to the plate, but that wasn't supposed to be the point in this thread anyway.

The guitar, as usually defined, refers to a set of closely related stringed instruments created and used across Europe since the medieval period, making it a truly European instrument. The defining developments of the guitar occurred where it was especially popular during the modern era, in Latin Europe, namely Spain, Italy and France. Precursors of the guitar can be traced back as much as 4000 years to an Indo-European origin of stringed instruments once known in central Asia and India. For this reason guitars are distantly related to contemporary instruments from these regions, including the tanbur, setar and sitar, among others. The oldest known iconographic representation of an instrument displaying the essential features of a guitar is a 3,300 year old stone carving of a Hittite bard.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar

I'm not going to comment on the rest of your post, but saying that metal is from Africa because the guitar and drums come from Africa is a really weak argument. Firstly, the guitar clearly has its roots in Europe, and secondly, drums are arguably the simplest and most ubiquitous musical instrument on the planet. Saying drums originate from Africa is like saying humans originate from Africa. In other words, duh.

edit: Concerning the band, I think Crackdust is alright. I found them to have their own kind of sound, relatively speaking as they're clearly influenced by a lot of older bands. They certainly have some personal drive apparent in their music compared to modern death metal bands that seem to just be regurgitating old ideas in a highly technical, almost masturbatory fashion. Also, the vocals suck.