Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Death metal from Africa

Re: Death metal from Africa
December 26, 2006, 07:52:41 PM
I have a problem with things getting attention for the wrong reason, and I especially don't like it when metal is presented like this:

"Death metal band from Botswana!"

If the only reason to listen to this is because it's from Botswana you might as well watch the paralympics.

Congratulations BFB, this must be your worst post to this date. I hope you'll be a bit more critical of your own posts from now on and take the time to think things over for a few days before posting.

If there's anything special about this music (and I mean the music not the people who make it) why can't you just talk about that?

And let me try to make something clear to everyone who hasn't grasped this yet: if foreign styles of music are simply copied in other countries rather than made into a national variant it isn't a revolution, it's simply globalization taking place.

You're kidding right? Asia and Australia have produced metal bands since metal began! Ever heard of AC/DC? And there won't be another metal revolution! Most of what could ever be done has already been done, are the albums that exist already not good enough for you?

i must admit you are right, in fact their music is just a rip off of other death metal bands....

December 27, 2006, 07:25:54 PM
I downloaded deranged killer or whatever it's called.  Not too shabby...it's at least a serious effort.

I thought it was reasonable, not exceptional. I am uncertain of the etymology of this name. I did not think crack the drug was even an issue in Africa, so I'm guessing it's related to band names like Sevendust and -- ? Beyond conjecture. It will be interesting to see what comes of these guys.

December 28, 2006, 09:02:11 PM

Burzum is music for Odin, not Shiva. You're completely missing my point: those Hindus would have their own music. Why should they need Burzum?

You say ludicrous? Imagine this: you're walking through the rainforest. Suddenly you find a tribe that still lives by the ways of their ancient traditions and customs. Well... except for the sony discmans they are carrying while they listen to Graveland and Burzum. I would call that ludicrous.

Compare the values of metal to those of rap, both these forms of music emerged around the same time so there's nothing wrong with using them as examples of cultural expression. Look at the majority of listeners and creators in metal: they are white. I would even dare say that most of the Brazilian bands are of white heritage. White people are naturally attracted to metal, as blacks are naturally attracted to hiphop, soul, etc. Any person who is conscious of his/her race and culture will want to hear music which correlates to those.

Don't be ridiculous. You're suggesting that it's wrong for black people to break out of their herd mentality and listen to something not usually associated with black music. By your logic, it's not ludicrous to walk into an European village, and see an ordinary family which observes traditional Western behavior playing Immortal as they dine.

December 28, 2006, 10:09:55 PM
Don't be ridiculous. You're suggesting that it's wrong for black people to break out of their herd mentality and listen to something not usually associated with black music. By your logic, it's not ludicrous to walk into an European village, and see an ordinary family which observes traditional Western behavior playing Immortal as they dine.

I really have no idea what you are trying to say with this. Could you please elaborate on it? Especially the part about black people and herd mentality, I really don't know what you're trying to say with that. Honestly, I would like to hear more about that from you. By the way: are you black?

December 28, 2006, 10:27:57 PM
I am black, and I think what he is saying is true. Black metal is european music. To invent black people black metal, we will have to go to our roots.

PS - death to racists.

December 28, 2006, 11:26:13 PM

I really have no idea what you are trying to say with this. Could you please elaborate on it? Especially the part about black people and herd mentality, I really don't know what you're trying to say with that. Honestly, I would like to hear more about that from you. By the way: are you black?

I’m saying that I don’t see a problem with black people creating and listening to metal, instead of adhering to the kind of music traditionally associated with their culture or what everyone else listens to. If somehow these guys can comprehend how metal should be played, or can bring something new to the plate, or find metal as a medium of individualistic expression, they shouldn’t be denied the right to play simply because metal is not one of their cultural "memes". I also find your analogy of primitive tribesmen listening to metal irrational; Graveland and Burzum would seem inappropriate and “ludicrous” in most cultural settings.

I’m not black, and I’m not white either which is I suppose why I'm defending this issue.

December 30, 2006, 09:06:17 PM
In Egypt it has grown pretty huge, however someone needs to remove the power from the Islamic community because they are convinced that metalheads are satanists, it is very likely that you get arrested whilst at a concert.

February 05, 2007, 05:13:44 AM
And the original Hindus were a race of 'West Eurasian' (read: white) conquerors who called themselves 'Arayan'.  Your point?

Apologies for the late reply, I had forgetten about this thread:

Firstly, they called themselves 'Aryan'. And secondly, perhaps you can briefly educate me as regards the Dravidian influence to the Hindu culture? I'm certain they were not originally 'white'. However, I can't claim authority on the subject.

February 05, 2007, 09:54:04 AM
emo influenced rapcore from Africa

aimanirrajim

February 12, 2007, 06:17:27 AM
the issue of race doesn't have to arise here; the only thing we should be worried about is if the music is good or not! so stop your moaning you varg vikernes clones!

February 12, 2007, 06:36:57 AM
well considering i don't have a drop of German blood in me i wouldn't make a very good nazi

ive gotten to the stage where i can ignore something if it is only musical competent without any real grasp for some sense of reality, if it is musically competent but "spiritually" dead i wouldn't give it a second listen

aimanirrajim

February 18, 2007, 08:43:38 PM
One more thing: I personally think Africans should stick to rap or reggae or other black music. Rap is for blacks, metal is for whites, anything in between is a travesty. Excuse me, but why the fuck would anyone want Africans to make metal anyway? So they can be more like whites? It seems to me only bad things can come from this. Let them stick to their own culture, and let us stick to ours.

wow. can't believe the ingnorance. rock music grew out of black music in new orleans. albeit, metal was invented by whites, it still grew out of traditional rock, which was derived from black music.

February 19, 2007, 01:49:28 AM

wow. can't believe the ingnorance. rock music grew out of black music in new orleans. albeit, metal was invented by whites, it still grew out of traditional rock, which was derived from black music.

...which was derived from white, Anglo-Celtic folk, including the pentatonic scale.

EQUALCLAST

February 19, 2007, 07:28:37 AM
wow, the sample had some great transcendent neoclassical riffing that resembles the echoing voice of a bygone era that longs for emergence in the paradigm of a decaying, decadent society.

I'll be looking for more CRACKDUST in the future.  I wonder if they'll cover Ildjarn?