Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The Soul.

The Soul.
April 13, 2012, 07:42:36 PM
Soul is the CPU that runs the body.
A computer is so much junk without a CPU.
But a CPU needs to process something, to perform its function.
Reality is the program it processes.

Enter the virus.
The virus is a rogue program that emulates reality.
It can be inserted, and camouflaged to look like reality.
When it runs, it bypasses reality, while appearing to be reality.
Anything at all may be written into this rogue program.

The CPU is neutral.
Reality is neutral.
The virus is destructive.
And self-replicating.
It can be described as 'ego'.

Re: The Soul.
April 13, 2012, 09:34:28 PM
How is it that the 'CPU' is neutral? In order for the virus to be destructive, does that not necessarily mean something desirable is getting destroyed?

April 13, 2012, 10:32:03 PM
What gets destroyed is the purpose the machine was designed for:
Interaction with reality, resulting in contribution to the whole.

April 13, 2012, 11:03:59 PM
The big problem is that the concept of challenging one's own ego is totally foreign to the Western ethos. Hell, egotism is considered a virtue here, and that manifests on both the Right and the Left. We just don't have the cultural framework in place for it to probably ever become more than a fringe idea, which is depressing.

April 13, 2012, 11:44:59 PM
All things new begin as fringe ideas.
I don't think anybody has really zeroed in on it before.
Things were never this dysfunctional before.
Wars may come and go, but how often does a civilization deliberately wreck itself?

April 14, 2012, 01:26:29 AM
What gets destroyed is the purpose the machine was designed for:
Interaction with reality, resulting in contribution to the whole.
Could it be said then that CPUs possess an inherently good quality? They are all designed for interaction with reality, which entails, as you say, making a contribution to the whole.

We just don't have the cultural framework in place for it to probably ever become more than a fringe idea, which is depressing.
What the hell are you talking about? Maybe in Europe, but in America, 80% of all people are religious. That means around 80% of all Americans have at the very least been exposed to self-denying philosophy, however crude or watered down it may be.

April 14, 2012, 02:06:51 AM
What the hell are you talking about? Maybe in Europe, but in America, 80% of all people are religious. That means around 80% of all Americans have at the very least been exposed to self-denying philosophy, however crude or watered down it may be.

In what ways are American-brand evangelical Christianity and, for example, Buddhism comparable in their attitudes towards the ego?

April 14, 2012, 02:34:38 AM
In what ways are American-brand evangelical Christianity and, for example, Buddhism comparable in their attitudes towards the ego?
Theoretically, if they were deriving their teachings from the Bible, then their attitudes would be similar.

"Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others." - Phillipians2:3-5

Unfortunately, I think many churches lose themselves to Christianity's greatest vice: Pride.

April 14, 2012, 02:39:46 AM
Christianity lost its claim to validity a long time ago.
Even so, its tenets remain true.
Interpretation is what finished it off.
Not the precept, itself.

April 14, 2012, 03:09:18 AM
Theoretically, if they were deriving their teachings from the Bible, then their attitudes would be similar.

"Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others." - Phillipians2:3-5

Unfortunately, I think many churches lose themselves to Christianity's greatest vice: Pride.

Point being that American McChristianity is a far cry from what the ideology was conceived to be.

Meister Eckhart was a good Christian, I think.

April 14, 2012, 04:22:15 AM
I'm not very familiar with the Buddhist approach to ego.
But it seems to me that ego is not nearly the problem, in the orient, that it is in the west.
Even taoism has little to say about it, and I presume that when taoism was born, there simply wasn't enough ego around to notice.
It is a very modern madness, in that now, it is everywhere. You don't need to be very perceptive to notice this.

It is, however, the subject of my own intense study.
I've tried, for years, to distill down what ails society, to its core components.
Ego is right there at its heart.
It's a hard thing to grasp, in that anybody who tries, must first be able to recognize his own ego.
It's like a mechanism looking for a reason to exist. When really there is no need.
It's only apparent function is to present itself as powerful, strong, wise, clever, attractive...
I can see no useful purpose for it, at all, other than as a temporary stand-in for the failings of youth.
Once it gets the limelight, it does a Stalin, and can never step down.
Only a determined and concerted coup can oust it.

Once it is shown the door, though, it's like a blind man being suddenly able to see.
There really is a world, out there, beyond the mind, and it provides a multitude of experience that the mind can not.
This new world feeds, clothes, provides shelter, satisfaction, purpose, and communication with everything that exists.
That is why I promote ego-discipline.
It cures the madness of modernity.
It renders men sane.

April 14, 2012, 12:15:00 PM

http://www.revrob.com/society-topmenu-49/152-the-number-one-religion-in-the-us-may-be-egonovism-not-christianity-

April 14, 2012, 02:41:25 PM

http://www.revrob.com/society-topmenu-49/152-the-number-one-religion-in-the-us-may-be-egonovism-not-christianity-

Thanks for the article. I think "egonovism" is my new favorite word.