Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Post-1995 metal that doesn't suck

Post-1995 metal that doesn't suck
April 14, 2012, 04:15:10 PM
The playlist:

Immortal - Blizzard Beasts
Profanatica - Profanatitas de Domonatia
Beherit - Engram/Devil's Studio
Cianide - Gods of Death
Divine Eve - Vengeful & Obstinate
Blaspherian - Allegiance to the Will of Damnation/Infernal Warriors of Death
Demoncy - Enthroned is the Night
Terrorizer - Hordes of Zombies
Morbus 666 - Mortuus Cultus
Blotted Science - The Animation of Entomology
Bahimiron - Rebel Hymns of Left-Handed Terror
War Master - Pyramid of the Necropolis
Sorcier des Glaces - The Puressence of Primitive Forests
Skepticism - Alloy
Summoning - Oath Bound
Avzhia - The Key of Throne
Asphyx - Death... The Brutal Way
Ildjarn-Nidhogg - Ildjarn-Nidhogg
Immolation - Unholy Cult

A smaller list than what happened in 1984-1994, but some good stuff in there nonetheless. The difference: It's not genre-defining like the earlier stuff.

Re: Post-1995 metal doesn't suck anymore
April 14, 2012, 05:02:58 PM
Havohej - Kembatinan Premaster
Crimson Massacre - The Luster of Pandemonium

April 14, 2012, 05:48:24 PM
Apart from the fact that I frankly find most mentioned releases uninteresting in the long run, is the Anus/DLA "administration" actually of the opinion that every one of said releases is superior to:

(Only including material that has been frequently heralded by both site and forum)
Gorguts - Obscura, From Wisdom to Hate
Ildjarn - Forest Poetry, Strength and Anger
The Chasm - Everything after From the Lost Years
Deeds of Flesh - Everything after Gradually Melted
Immolation - Here in After, Failures for Gods
Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun
etc.

or is there some other reason for the exclusion of the above? I count 19 artists 21 releases total, so the reasons are clearly not numerical. Some of the exhibited are albums from long-standing groups, so this is neither a best of by post-1995 metal bands. Despite some justifiable interpretation through appearance thus far, this is not a passive-aggressive post by any means, I'm genuinely intrigued by these omissions (which I have witnessed take place in other similar "official" lists made by this site over the years). Am I missing something here?

Anyway, so as to counter-balance this possibly meaningless post, allow me to state something fairly obvious but which is in need of acknowledgment. Most of the mentioned fall into two categories and share one common characteristic. They're either continuations of unhonored musical experiments from previous years in depth and/or surface, usually concluding in coherent results worthy of some investigation (this is the case with Blizzard Beasts, Animation of Entomology, Alloy and Oath Bound among surely others), or exercises in clearly established compositional and aesthetic standards within Metal (some might refer to this as "genre worship"), often resulting in either an expansion of the borders or a competent slab at the genre of choice (Pyramid of Necropolis, Death... The Brutal Way, Rebel Hymns of Left-Handed Terror etc.). The only thing here which I can honestly deem as somewhat revolutionary is Engram, for it introduces a new direction, albeit using a fair share of previously founded and demonstrated ideas. Nonetheless, the thing all these share is that, being forged and unleashed at a time of mass-takeover in Metal, they are all, as of now at least, unfortunately drowned out in a sea of billions upon billions of contemporary, largely irrelevant Metal-related material (this is particularly true for the stuff that came into being after the turn of the millennial). If these are truly indicative of the spirit of Metal Music, then I suppose it goes to show how it can only ever be grasped by a hand numbered few or the extent to which it has been lost upon the genre's "inheritors" after the end of Black Metal with the death of Euronymous and the release of all the major BM opuses in 1994.

April 15, 2012, 08:09:03 AM

Fucking awful senseless music with metalcore-ish vocals to boot.

April 15, 2012, 08:27:54 AM

I recently bought this album but thus far the production has frustrated any attempts I've made to fully enjoy it.

April 15, 2012, 02:26:50 PM
Demoncy - Joined in darkness
Graveland
Vallenfyre - A fragile king

April 15, 2012, 03:11:39 PM
I think there has always been a steady trickle of good releases since the end of the classic era, with consistency improving slightly in the last 5 years.  The key differences are that underground metal has lacked any real unity and momentum since that era, whereas in the early nineties great metal was like a raging flood or forest fire, now great releases a like isolated outposts in the midst of a desolate wasteland.  The tide has started to turn somewhat, although the sheer volume of mediocre music being produced is still absurd.

I recently bought this album but thus far the production has frustrated any attempts I've made to fully enjoy it.

I would recommend those who find this album difficult because of the production and aesthetics to spend some more time with it.  The compositions are actually very intelligent and logical once you get past the sheer chaos of the aesthetic.  I found alot of beauty here.

April 15, 2012, 05:59:06 PM

It took me about a dozen attempts before I was able to penetrate it, but eventually I came to see as being something like Demilich's hyperactive little brother. As with Demilich, I never would've come to appreciate it if I went solely on initial impressions.

April 15, 2012, 06:17:13 PM
Good list. Though I would take Spastic Ink's "Ink Complete" over anything else Ron Jarzombek's done.

April 16, 2012, 01:11:37 PM

No, just no. Crimson Massacre sounds like a high school project. That Havohej CD reeks of burn-out.

April 19, 2012, 04:12:16 AM

No, just no. Crimson Massacre sounds like a high school project. That Havohej CD reeks of burn-out.

Interesting that there is some strong criticism for the Crimson Massare album.  I will be counted as one of its supporters, despite the fact that it is a little rough around the edges and the vision sometimes exceeds the technical capabilities of the band I think overall this is one of the strongest works in terms of artistic vision that metal has produced since the classic era.  All of the songs have clear direction, although they only begin to make sense as the narrative unfolds, and the rhythmic element creates coherence throughout.  This is one of the few albums that suggests that there is any potential in the field of technical death metal.  Not to mention the breathtakingly beautiful acoustic track.

Re: Post-1995 metal that doesn't suck
April 19, 2012, 01:15:51 PM
it's not bad but it's not good, feels empty