Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

THE SPIRIT OF BLACK METAL

THE SPIRIT OF BLACK METAL
April 16, 2012, 07:53:53 AM
WHY IS THE BEST BLACK METAL (PURE HOLOCAUST, STORMBLAST, ETC.) MORE "INNOCENT", "ADVENTUROUS", "MAJESTIC" AND "SUBLIME" THAN "REBELLIOUS", "DARK", "HEAVY", AND "EVIL"?

IS THERE A SECRET LIGHT HIDDEN DEEP WITHIN THE DARKNESS, A SECRET WORLD HIDDEN DEEP WITHIN THE VOID?

... APOLOGIES, I'M DRUNK.

Re: THE SPIRIT OF BLACK METAL
April 16, 2012, 11:01:47 AM
Yes.  Black Metal is Darkness looking towards the Light.  That's why this "trve kvlt euil blakk metvl" shit fails.

April 16, 2012, 01:09:14 PM
Because it's sensitive and still believes there's a purpose to life. It's nihilistic but it sees an order to the universe. It's not so enslaved to the idea of humans first that it can't see the beauty in nature.

April 16, 2012, 09:24:19 PM
Early Enslaved as well

April 16, 2012, 10:13:00 PM
Ok, hails to the OP for making the strangest drunk-post that makes complete sense. I think nearly every article on deathmetal.org points towards this ultimate question, and furthermore, how the Hessian can be defined away from the typical metalhead. Heavy Metal is easy to like, enjoy and even identify with; to take this one step further and allow the sound, lyric, image and all encompassing aesthetic aim one towards a transcendent existence, one of excellence, is a completely differrent case. Sure it's inclusive, and no, not everyone will get it - I think that can be relfected in the selectivity of quality outputs. It's an impersonal worldview, and therefore the social-benefits are never-present in it's genuine form; refer to the article about status in metal in that the largest chunks of the metal population abuse the culture for social gain.

What's quantifiable about the historic releases and individuals that seem to embody this ideal is that they last, whereas others do not, as they are just castes and imprints of what's leftover when something or someone meaniful has arisen. It (Metal and Hessiandom) lasts because it's strong, and the fans are comfortable with this strength.

April 16, 2012, 11:47:09 PM
Early Enslaved as well

Enslaved's early career is some of the most original, magical, well-written pieces of metal history. Strong, muscular composition that is offensive. A must for any fan of Black Metal. To miss out on...

Yggdrasil
Hordanes Land
Vikingligr Veldi
Frost
Eld

is just robbing oneself. Vikingligr Veldi and Frost of course get the most plays in my household, but I think all are must-haves. They take the thematic of Paganism into levels of the unconscious mind (it's power of influence is massive), whereas other bands use it in a clownish way.

April 17, 2012, 01:16:11 AM
On a related note, I have occasionally noticed a similarity of spirit between some of Schubert's more melancholic works and black metal.  Parts of his unfinished symphony particularly have that sense of spiritual isolation and adventure that is prevalent in the best black metal.  Has anyone else noticed this?

April 17, 2012, 04:33:14 AM
If death metal is about showing people the truth, black metal is about finding beauty in that truth. It is to metal what goth was to punk. Romantic revelry in the dark side of nature. Active participation in the sorrows of life.

April 17, 2012, 12:54:55 PM
Death metal is deconstruction, black metal is reconstruction.

April 17, 2012, 05:17:11 PM
The artificial rays of this modern world will be drowned out in Dark Medievalism in times to come.  I guess that's the message of Black Metal, after the Nihilism of Death Metal and Apocalypticism of Speed Metal.  Metal is chronicling the future of humanity: after mass global destruction, a new, more natural order will rise in the darkness, and lament the beauty that was lost.

Disclaimer: stoned.

April 17, 2012, 06:13:36 PM
Metal asks the big questions, could be what saves us.

April 17, 2012, 10:40:47 PM
those albums were made by people who were 100% focused on creating amazing and emotional art.

it's too bad that these same people generally lose that focus, and start to focus on other things (money, popularity)...things which absolutely destroy art.

April 17, 2012, 11:25:23 PM
Death metal is deconstruction, black metal is reconstruction.

As I've said before, if Death Metal = Only Death is Real, then Black Metal = Life is but a Dream

April 18, 2012, 01:16:04 PM
I always liked "The Past is Alive" for black metal

April 18, 2012, 03:06:55 PM
I like that too!