Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Traditionalism and Metal

Traditionalism and Metal
April 17, 2012, 04:07:27 AM
Metal potentially fits the role, at least for people who can appreciate the music:

Campbell believed that if myths are to continue to fulfill their vital functions in our modern world, they must continually transform and evolve because the older mythologies, untransformed, simply do not address the realities of contemporary life, particularly with regard to the changing cosmological and sociological realities of each new era.

Slayer, Voivod, Demilich, Beherit and all the rest have contributed in their own manner already.

Traditionalism and Metal
April 17, 2012, 04:18:36 AM
Metal potentially fits the role, at least for people who can appreciate the music:

Campbell believed that if myths are to continue to fulfill their vital functions in our modern world, they must continually transform and evolve because the older mythologies, untransformed, simply do not address the realities of contemporary life, particularly with regard to the changing cosmological and sociological realities of each new era.

Slayer, Voivod, Demilich, Beherit and all the rest have contributed in their own manner already.

Good point. Metal's aesthetic and sociocultural proprties make it a modern and updated participant in certain psychological forms (some or all of traditionalism, nietzshcheanism, romanticism, vir) deemed admirable based on a certain understanding of reality (nihilism).

What I don't get about the traditionalism advanced by Nasr and celebrated by a poster like Eleison on this forum is it's rejection of *too much* of the modern. That seems to be conservatism to me, not traditionalism, and in fact opens the flood gates to destructive forces of change in it's dogmatic insitance on inessential outdated factors. Conservatives "breed contempt" in that they are against evolution, in a general (non-biological) sense.

There are valid reasons for abandoning a certain practice or view, and the introduction of new elements may be necessary for a tradition (western civilisation) to continue into the future. Sticking to such a fringe worldview as Nasr's 'metaphysics' which can't even accept evolution by natural selection which has been vindicated in numerous sperate areas of science means you will be left utterly behind (perhaps to wollow eternally on the internet).

Re: Traditionalism and Metal
April 17, 2012, 09:34:09 AM
What I don't get about the traditionalism advanced by Nasr and celebrated by a poster like Eleison on this forum is it's rejection of *too much* of the modern.

Really?  I don't see this at all.

The rejection of Evolutionism is based on the fact that whatever changes we might see in species over a long period of time are physical reflections of metaphysical (spiritual?) processes.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

April 17, 2012, 11:43:29 AM
I think evolution is descriptive, but what is forgotten is that the underlying order sets the targets and levels of evolution. It's not random. It's defined by the chaotic attractor, which is the conditions of life itself as a whole.

April 17, 2012, 01:00:43 PM

April 19, 2012, 04:02:04 AM
What I don't get about the traditionalism advanced by Nasr and celebrated by a poster like Eleison on this forum is it's rejection of *too much* of the modern.

Really?  I don't see this at all.

The rejection of Evolutionism is based on the fact that whatever changes we might see in species over a long period of time are physical reflections of metaphysical (spiritual?) processes.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It would not be entirely accurate to speak of 'metaphysical processes', as this implies change in a domain in which change does not occur.  The temporal framework is created by static possibilities which manifest themselves in successive mode within a particular degree of existence.

April 19, 2012, 01:11:12 PM
Again, "The past is alive." Once past Christianity there is a spiritualism that we can accept, which is good because 90% of all atheists are npr listening SWPLs.

April 20, 2012, 05:31:03 AM
Metal is just European Romanticism rediscovered. That's why it resembles Frankenstein, Dracula, HP Lovecraft, Poe, etc. These guys came out of the Euro-Romantic tradition, along with Blake (transcendentalist monist Christian), Swedenborg, Emerson (inspiration for Nietzsche), Wordsworth, Shelley(s), Byron, Keats, etc.

April 20, 2012, 01:10:30 PM
You might be reading too much into it. Metal is about history period. Why metal bands don't write lyrics about trends and what's hip right now. They're about the big picture. By itself that instead makes them really different from the average.

April 21, 2012, 05:04:19 PM
That's part of it, but Romanticism entails a worship of the ancient.

It's the viewpoint that doesn't look at individuals and right now, but at the bigger picture, that brings up reverence for the past.

That is also part of Romanticism.

April 22, 2012, 11:15:00 PM
ISTM metal is generally much more in tune with early modernism than musical romanticism