Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Winglord - The Chosen One

April 20, 2012, 11:26:40 PM

"The Winglord style of ambient neofolk combines the infectious power of old industrial and synthpop, the ideas of black metal, the atmosphere of neofolk and the grandeur of movie soundtracks. If a Vangelis or Poledouris soundtrack ever took your breath away, you have an idea of the kind of emotional surge that this music imparts on a regular basis."

http://www.winglord.com/

Relevant to fans of: Danzig - Black Aria, Beherit - Electric Doom Synthesis, Burzum - Hlidskjalf, Dead Can Dance, Tangerine Dream, Arcana, Blood Axis, Ildjarn - Landscapes & Hardanger-series, Basil Poledouris, Vangelis, Howard Shore, Kreuzweg Ost, Summoning, Ice Ages.

Full reviews:

Re: Winglord - The Chosen One
April 22, 2012, 12:29:11 AM
I do not see it. There were a couple times it could have offered potential, but I mainly had the impression was of something being forced through an upbeat filter. Inauthentic. I had the sensation of watching a commercial or riding an elevator.

Disclaimer: I only had the opportunity to listen to the Youtube samples.

(Sorry, didn't update the thread and edited my original post before seeing the below)

April 22, 2012, 12:42:05 AM
The secret to this band is that it's basically Ministry. It's EBM. They've grafted onto it some ancient Dead Can Dance-y stuff. It's designed for a wide audience, like the kind that would like Metallica and Slayer but maybe not "get" Beherit. That doesn't mean it's crap. The samples do not do it justice. However (warning) this doesn't apply to the first album, which struck me as garbled and hasty.

August 13, 2012, 04:23:59 PM
A few listens of the full album have shown the quality. As you stated, the limited quality Youtube clips certainly don't do it justice. I think they chose the least appealing track on the album for the preview, but it does seem to benefit from an in-context listen as part of the whole. There are some good parts that remind me of Vangelis.

(p.s. Blade Runner Soundtrack > All. KEEP ASKING.)