Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Metal Hall: the musical

Re: Metal Hall: the musical
April 22, 2012, 08:13:19 PM
Yeah, basically. Shit's becoming more of an echo chamber here lately.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

April 22, 2012, 09:11:57 PM
http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/autism-the-musical/index.html

Was it really necessary to respond this way to your differences with other members here? It's quite passive-agressive, and you are not like that.

I try to be honest and direct against ideas that I disagree with. Specially, when I see good people being limited by them.

April 22, 2012, 11:45:27 PM
Was it really necessary to respond this way to your differences with other members here? It's quite passive-agressive, and you are not like that.

You're right -- I'm not like that, and I fear my motives have been misinterpreted. They are twofold:

(1) I find it funny that this forum has a fascination with autism and thought this might be funny.
(2) It's a good documentary, according to someone close to me who is watching it.

It's not directed at anyone with whom I have differences with, here or other places. I have a new concept for the internet, which is that I can disagree with people without having to hate them or mock them. True total idiots will burn me out, but we haven't had any of those for some time. Just misguided libertarians, liberals in conservative clothing, and people who secretly like the new Morbid Angel.

May 01, 2012, 04:59:44 PM
Autism has a strong genetic basis, but so far efforts to identify the responsible genes have had mixed results. The reason for this is that autism is influenced by many different genes, and different genes are involved in different individuals, making it hard to find the common genetic ground between patients.

Now, research conducted at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem has shown that despite this fact, the different genes involved in autism tend to be involved in specific processes in the brain. This can explain, on the one hand, similarities in the behavioral symptoms of different autistics, but also the large spectrum of behaviors observed in different autistic individuals.

{ snip }

Instead of testing individual genes, the researchers chose to study gene collections, in an attempt to understand general pathways involved in autism.

To that end the scientists constructed a network based on the expression pattern of genes across different brain areas. This allowed them to discover groups of genes with shared function in the brain. Next, based on genetic data from thousands of families with autistic children, the researchers studied the contribution of different groups of genes to autism.

To their surprise, they found -- when looking at mutations found in autism as well as thousands of common gene variants that are more frequently seen in autistics -- that these mutations and variations are located in specific functional groups.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-05-genetic-disrupted-autistic-brain.html