Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Blank cheque

Blank cheque
April 23, 2012, 10:46:27 AM
The report, This Sceptred Isle, shows that only 61 per cent of the English said they associated the St George’s Cross with pride and patriotism, compared to 84 per cent of Scots and 86 per cent of Welsh, when asked about, respectively, the St Andrew’s Cross and the Red Dragon.

Almost a quarter (24 per cent), of the English said they considered their flag to be racist, compared to 10 per cent of Scots and seven per cent of Welsh, when asked about their own flags.

The report blames the “extreme street hooligans of the English Defence League” for “toxifying” the St George’s Cross, although it says politicians should also take responsibility for failing to “speak up for the inclusive patriotism of the English majority”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9217620/St-Georges-flag-is-a-racist-symbol-says-a-quarter-of-the-English.html

Certain things represent blank cheques in this society: unequal rights, civil rights, gender rights.

I don't see these debates as being about their putative topics. Instead, they're about fragmentation in the name of the individual.

Your average person, unless non-white, doesn't give a shit about racism.

What they do want is no oversight, government handouts, and "equal validity" so they can do whatever they want without consequences, and with social subsidy.

Re: Blank cheque
April 23, 2012, 12:22:39 PM
Your average person, unless non-white, doesn't give a shit about racism.
In my experience the majority of non-whites don't either, of course I'd like to think the non-whites I tend to spend time with are above average intelligence though.