Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Punk and metal don't mix

Punk and metal don't mix
April 24, 2012, 01:43:19 PM
I used to smoke with this guy I know who likes metal. But you can't leave if the metal sucks, it's rude. Bone awl. For forty minutes. Punk and metal don't mix.

Re: Punk and metal don't mix
April 24, 2012, 01:58:21 PM
Bathory were a d-beat band that decided to go ultra heavy.  Punk and Metal CAN mix, you just have to get it right.

April 24, 2012, 03:18:34 PM
Punk and Metal CAN mix, you just have to get it right.

Damn right. When it's mixed properly (grindcore) it's some of my favorite music.

Overarching statements like the one in the OP are obviously false. Bone Awl may be mediocre, but I'd much rather listen to that than the various plethora of "ganja smoke" white boy reggae or dubstep.

April 24, 2012, 05:23:20 PM
If punk and metal didn't mix, Black Sabbath would still be the only metal band.

April 24, 2012, 06:09:59 PM
This is basically what thrash and early black metal are.

April 24, 2012, 06:12:26 PM
Discharge.

April 25, 2012, 10:50:48 PM
Perhaps modern punk and metal don't mix. Because punk has effectively been neutered since the 80's and metal castrated since the late 90's, and it is these worst aspects that seem to dominate in the music of bands like Bone Awl.

April 26, 2012, 10:09:42 PM
Bathory were a d-beat band that decided to go ultra heavy.  Punk and Metal CAN mix, you just have to get it right.

Right on. The pace and fury of early Bathory reminds me of Hardcore Punk, going so far as to be able to call certain movements "breakdowns" in the original sense. Crust Punks love to trumpet that Quorthon was highly influenced by Amebix, and I could understand that to a degree concerning the vocals of the Baron and being similar in sound, but pace-wise I'd say Discharge. It's important to note that these are mere influences though, as Bathory is identifiably METAL, and furthermore a pioneer in Metal history.

I think that the more popular, slower-paced Punk bands with ear-friendly singing would have done well to follow in the footsteps of the Hammerheart-and-on era. It would have made an interesting fusion.

April 27, 2012, 12:30:54 AM
Right on. The pace and fury of early Bathory reminds me of Hardcore Punk, going so far as to be able to call certain movements "breakdowns" in the original sense. Crust Punks love to trumpet that Quorthon was highly influenced by Amebix, and I could understand that to a degree concerning the vocals of the Baron and being similar in sound, but pace-wise I'd say Discharge. It's important to note that these are mere influences though, as Bathory is identifiably METAL, and furthermore a pioneer in Metal history.
Bathorys self titled sounds more like GBH than anything else to me.

April 27, 2012, 12:43:26 AM
I remember hearing one band older than Scandinavian Metal Attack that distinctly put me in mind of Bathory, but I can't remember who it was.

April 27, 2012, 11:11:32 PM
Perhaps modern punk and metal don't mix. Because punk has effectively been neutered since the 80's and metal castrated since the late 90's, and it is these worst aspects that seem to dominate in the music of bands like Bone Awl.

I agree.

April 28, 2012, 07:47:32 AM
Hardcore punk was critically important in helping metal develop its own unique rhythmic language. Black/death/thrash would not be around today without the intensity that hardcore punk found.  

I think the path foreword for metal lies in abandoning this influence though. Take Burzum for instance, HLTO and Filosofem basically uses Kraftwerk style drumming to create a very unique rhythmic platform that brings to the forefront the cerebral instead of the visceral elements of the music.

April 29, 2012, 03:45:38 PM
Punk and metal do mix.. venom,slayer,early metallica,hellhammer,bathory,master ,slaughter,repulsion,napalmcarcass   all show the confluence of hardcore punk bands Discharge,GBH,dead kennedys,black flag and  the heavy metal of sabbath,motorhead
A fact known by any true metal head