Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

How to save wildlife

How to save wildlife
April 25, 2012, 03:16:04 AM
How to save wildlife:

Before Polynesian settlers arrived here hundreds of years ago in their outrigger canoes, Hawaii had more than 120 species of birds — and no mammals to eat them. Land birds flourished in the absence of land predators, and seabirds flew in from all over the world to nest undisturbed on the ground.

All of that changed with the arrival of humans — and the dogs, cats, rats and mongooses that came with them. Hawaii became the extinction capital of the world; all but a few species of land birds disappeared or diminished to tiny numbers, and many seabirds avoided extinction only by flying to other islands.

But here on this wild, windswept point just 30 miles from Waikiki’s crowded beaches, the first predator-proof fence in the United States, built last year by Xcluder, a New Zealand company, is helping to restore the land to a pristine state and proving a boon for scientists and bird-watchers.

“The fence is doing its job,” said Eric VanderWerf, a biologist who, with his wife, Lindsay C. Young, is studying populations of albatrosses and shearwaters on a grant from the Packard Foundation. “The cats and mongooses were killing 15 percent of the chicks every year, and now they’re all gone.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/17/science/birds-of-kaena-point-hawaii-enjoy-a-revival-thanks-to-a-fence.html?ref=science

Isolated it.
Keep us out.
Let it manage itself.

GREEN POWER!

Re: How to save wildlife
April 25, 2012, 03:36:17 AM
Yeah.
How to save wildlife? Stay the hell away from it.
Or become wildlife, yourself.

April 25, 2012, 12:27:36 PM
We can't become wildlife; we can give it a place. Ideally more space than we give ourselves, since we are one (1) species and the flora and fauna are many.

April 25, 2012, 04:40:10 PM
I become wildlife every day.
The local wildlife doesn't know where it ends and I begin.
This state does take practice, though.
One the other hand, it requires comparatively little real estate to realize.

April 25, 2012, 06:35:42 PM
I wish to become one of the wild. Then to make space for myself and thus save the wildlife.

Erase all mankind.

April 25, 2012, 06:39:45 PM
I wish to become one of the wild. Then to make space for myself and thus save the wildlife.

Erase all mankind.

You should mean "Mind-Kind"

April 25, 2012, 06:48:12 PM
Mankind will erase itself, by and by.
It always does.
Wildlife always comes back.
Everything does.
Nature moves in circles, and like a cyclone, is unstoppable.

April 25, 2012, 09:09:18 PM
I find it insane how modern man seems to gravitate towards noise and chaos within cities. The hustle and bustle of city life is conflated with 'excitement', while suburbs are often seen as breeding grounds of tedium and weariness. Is this a genuine preference for the city (and thus an aversion to the solitude of the unrefined and organic), or have we brainwashed ourselves to prefer it? Perhaps it is because when in a forest, we fear that we would be forced to face our true selves?

April 25, 2012, 09:16:03 PM
Humans do not have to stay away totally, we just have to have restrictions on building anything. A few trails and cabins here and there is fine.

April 25, 2012, 09:18:01 PM
This thread is going places :)
Good stuff, guys.

April 25, 2012, 09:37:38 PM
Mankind will erase itself, by and by.
It always does.
Wildlife always comes back.
Everything does.
Nature moves in circles, and like a cyclone, is unstoppable.

I had a conversation some years ago with a developer that bought an entire, previously unspoiled barrier island with and eye toward building a "golf course community" upon it.  I mentioned to him that, when I was a child, his "island" was essentially nothing more than a glorified sandbar reaching into the mouth of a tidal inlet.  He insisted that his "staff hydrologist" had studied the matter intensely, and that he could foresee no circumstances under which the accretion of sand was likely to be threatened.  I don't remember exactly what I said, but I'm sure it was something along the lines of, "Well, in my experience, where the ocean has been, the ocean will be again."  He had only succeeded in nearing completion on four or five 'units' before the collapse of the real estate market put him in bankruptcy and put an abrupt end to the project.  I ended up being in the area a couple of weekends back.  Apparently, he did manage to dredge out the main channel in the inlet.  Which, as any asshole who's ever lived at the beach can tell you, inevitably alters the flow of tidal currents.  The almost finished condo units are now about 75 yards into the surf at high tide.

April 25, 2012, 10:02:25 PM
There's a nest of baby bunnies in my backyard.
My friend and I were checking them out just now. They're getting big!
One of the bunnies hopped out of the nest and ran right into my fence. Idiot.
God knows where he is now.
I hope he finds his way home :(

April 25, 2012, 10:28:11 PM
*looks up from the stew pot over the fire*

I found your bunny.

May 04, 2012, 04:37:36 AM
Elect those who have the moral fortitude to set aside all the unnecessary people demands (read: right-wing extremist) for some nature instead.

When Lütke collects trash as a volunteer on an environmental action day, it's hard to tell which party he belongs to. "We don't bring an NPD banner with us when we participate," he says. Still, he isn't alone within the party with his efforts on behalf of the environment. The party regularly coopts the issue of environmentalism in an insidious attempt to make the party more acceptable in German society. Often, it's difficult to recognize the right-wing extremist ideologies behind these efforts.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,825564,00.html