Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Philosophy classes

Philosophy classes
April 25, 2012, 09:55:18 PM
I think I will start a philosophy class. All you need to do is to bring all your philosophy books with you. We will have a nice fire with them. After that, all we will do is to sit around a tree in silence for 3 hours. No tests, no exams except the experience of real life. There's even no need of a teacher.

What do you think of that. Will you join this class?

Re: Philosophy classes
April 25, 2012, 10:25:39 PM
Apart from the book burning bit, I've done this a few times.  I sat in a circle of mushrooms (not the magic kind) after eating some mushrooms (the magic kind) once.  Couldn't tell you if it was three minutes, hours, days, or eternities.

April 26, 2012, 12:53:03 AM
The greatest way of learning philosophy is to experience prolonged silence.

April 26, 2012, 01:16:41 AM
I'm all in favor of meditation; that's a solo activity.

As far as philosophy, you need some rigorous state of mind or you end up in hipster territory.

April 26, 2012, 02:19:14 AM
As far as philosophy, you need some rigorous state of mind or you end up in hipster territory.

Oh, you mean like a leftist (vegan feminist) Nietzschean? (I know one)

April 26, 2012, 09:45:53 AM
There are so many of that kind of person in the UK's Universities that it has ceased to be amusing.

April 27, 2012, 04:23:35 PM

Indeed, it seems the consumer culture has infiltrated even philosophy (as if academic philosophy did not already have enough problems).

Now we have hordes of people taking up philosophy as a means to aggrandize the self and justify a lifestyle.

Truth exploring is passe. Idea shopping is in.

April 27, 2012, 04:38:15 PM
From the north, from the south
From the west, from the east

I summon you, gods of the pit
Come to us, infernal legions

Satan, father of men, god of gods
Take a look at your children
Tonight, they give you their souls