Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

India

India
April 27, 2012, 02:09:51 AM
But, whereas in America heavy metal has distinctly working class connotations, in India the music is accessible only to the privileged few.

Chloe Coventry is a doctoral candidate in the field of ethnomusicology at University of California, Los Angeles and is writing her dissertation on rock music performance in India’s globalized post-liberalization culture. She sees the music as a kind of rite of passage for many of India’s educated youth. “While a few of the older metal musicians I met critiqued the consumer culture [they believed] India was becoming, the younger kids were planning on becoming the engineers and doctors,” Ms. Coventry says. “Rock is still an upper middle-class pursuit here.”

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/11/indias-heavy-metal-scene-from-underground-to-mainstream/

Re: India
April 28, 2012, 02:09:44 AM
How is music in India accessible ONLY to the privileged few when kirtan chanting is kvlture to them? Also Indian public air of dance/techno/party music is played at clubs accessible and affordable to anyone of working status there.
"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

Re: India
April 29, 2012, 03:47:59 PM
Rudra is singaporean metal band comprising of memebers of Tamil descent( South india) ...miles better anything metal  from india