Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Averse Sefira Breakup!?

Averse Sefira Breakup!?
May 03, 2012, 09:22:32 PM
Dammit.

http://aversesefira.blogspot.com/

IMPERFECT BANISHMENT
Here we are at the End of Things.
We're shutting down the power, but leaving the Pilot Light on.
In our Passing, we leave some Albums that defined how we
Received this Transmission
how we
Interpreted this Transmission
and how we
Wanted it Broadcast.
To those of You that enjoyed the Work we did, Thank You.

Some thoughts from the Terminvs:
There is no One Escape in One
The End is the Beginning is the End
Decay begets Life,
Scrolls unfurling
Void
Blood
Soil
Flesh, Death, Earth expanding into coherence.
Dissipating constellation
Terminal Infinite
Ashes between the Stars
Alive remains, from afar.
"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

Re: Averse Sefira Breakup!?
May 03, 2012, 10:12:35 PM
At least they acknowledged that they probably didn't have anything relevant left to say musically so they decided not to continue.  They could have probably gone the Motorhead route and made the same album for the next 20 years but at least this doesn't give them the option of putting out an llud Divinum Insanus.

May 03, 2012, 10:44:04 PM
Honestly, it's hard not to feel a bit bummed about this. Waiting for Tetragrammatical Astygmata and later Advent Parallax to come out are some of my more notable early Hessian memories, and I think there was definitely space left for their sound to evolve.

Cue the flood of idiotic comments concerning how they were never good, sucked, were hipsters, didn't love Jesus enough, etc.

May 04, 2012, 12:03:02 AM
I don't know if I agree, Undermind. I definitely think they had an album or 2 left in them. Possibly could've expanded on their Voivod influence, maybe bring in influence from good industrial music, or maybe even simplified their approach with an increased punk influence.

Point - this blows. They crushed live, I wanted to see them again (it's been like 5 years). Oh well, I suppose ending on a good note is best than releasing I'llDive InAMans Anus. (credit for the name goes to Nightspirit).
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

May 04, 2012, 12:28:21 AM
Metal could be open to people with life-long interests, like Speckmann or Holocausto, but most can't keep focused on the ideal. They see only the social context. Thus they are forever trapped in youth-culture...

No band better illustrated the foil like Averse Sefira, and It was fuckin' good while it lasted.

...some of my more notable early Hessian memories...

Same here. I had been into Black Metal before those albums came out but I was also very young, and there was so much anticipation, then AFTER they were released it was like Laurence Olivier yelled "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!"

If there was no drive to continue or nothing more to contribute, then it was a good call to end it here. It was solid career with no stupid curve balls or retro-influence albums. They should get an award for being the most artistic Black Metal band of our time, and not taking the lyric of the occult into the realms of foolery.
"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

May 04, 2012, 03:49:08 AM
This is sad news insofar as A-S  being one of very few functioning Black Metal bands I honestly cared about all that much about any longer. At the same time, the news is joyous that they maintain integrity to the end, and bow out gracefully and with honor!  I shudder to even imagine A-S devolving into something akin to the excrutiatingly persistent dullardry of Darkthrone or some such - perish the thought!!!     

In many ways, for me, this is like unto the final(if overdue) nail in the Black Metal coffin - but it was an intersting ride.

May 04, 2012, 04:55:18 AM
I don't know if I agree, Undermind. I definitely think they had an album or 2 left in them. Possibly could've expanded on their Voivod influence, maybe bring in influence from good industrial music, or maybe even simplified their approach with an increased punk influence.

Point - this blows. They crushed live, I wanted to see them again (it's been like 5 years). Oh well, I suppose ending on a good note is best than releasing I'llDive InAMans Anus. (credit for the name goes to Nightspirit).

I would have thought so too but apparently they thought otherwise:

Quote from: http://aversesefira.blogspot.com/
The simplest explanation is that our collaboration no longer had the momentum required to create something that would have the grandeur and conviction of our most recent work. It would be a terrible mistake to force the issue in the name of pleasing others. This was never our mission. In many cases, it was quite the opposite.

May 06, 2012, 07:16:37 PM
Well Advent Parallax was a great ending.  It's one of those albums I had to listen to a thousand times to understand but once you figure it out, it's filled with godly riffs and some of the most unique guitar sound effects I've ever heard.  Godspeed! 
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

May 08, 2012, 01:51:03 AM
This is a special interest forum, if the website(s) didn't give that away for the past 30 some-odd  years. Trolololing your interests in styles that are diametrically opposed to neoclassically styled metal will get you nowhere. Of course I don't think anyone here is a mere dreg of the website, but one thing you don't see people doing [often] is pleading with others to change foundational principles that bind the community together in dialogue. It would be like me trying to sell the idea of IX Equilibrium to Scourge: ain't gonna happen.

May 08, 2012, 01:20:18 PM
Excellent band, and I do have fond memories when Wrath posted on the forum( same as Corey and Jason from Acerbus, and Antti from Demilich) 10 cycles ago! Knowing when to quit is better then hanging on to a thread and I would rather lose a great group then receive ten more in its place!

All Hail Averse Sefira!

May 09, 2012, 12:53:59 AM
How is it neoclassically styled?

The bigger question is how is it not? Glance at the DLA pages and find an example of a band that doesn't echo neoclassicism, or hasn't a shred of classical orchestration and/or dynamic technique. I'm not entirely convinced that you understand what Metal is, or at least the extreme Metal in the context of what we refer to it in. You're incapable of distinguishing the quality of a band that is popular amongst this community against one that is a "just because we can" outfit. I think your frame of reference needs some grunt work to be done.

May 09, 2012, 01:11:55 AM
Thanks for the fodder.

"Neoclassicism is a trend in which composers sought to return to aesthetic precepts associated with the broadly defined concept of "classicism", namely order, balance, clarity, economy, and emotional restraint. As such, neoclassicism was a reaction against the unrestrained emotionalism and perceived formlessness of late romanticism, as well as a "call to order" after the experimental ferment of the first two decades of the twentieth century. Although in many ways neoclassical music returned to the forms and emotional restraint of eighteenth century music, works by these composers are nonetheless distinctly twentieth century."

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Neoclassical_Music

That should have been Ildjarn's biography.

Uffe den tuffe

May 09, 2012, 05:25:42 PM
Is the classical connection so incredibly off though?

I listened through Vikingligr Veldi the other day and if someone asked me to describe it, I'd say something along the lines, "It's not your usual MTV rock 'n' roll, think of the experience more like a metal band playing folk melodies with all the drama and adventure of a classical music piece".

And I'm not very surprised that Bathory, Emperor and Morbid Angel among others were directly inspired by classical composers. Of course, what these fellows say they're inspired by may not prove anything about their actual music. I, too, can tell people I'm inspired by Beethoven and then record a lousy pop record. But, as I said, their inspirations come as no surprise to me.

E

May 15, 2012, 09:15:45 AM
"Neoclassicism is a trend in which composers sought to return to aesthetic precepts associated with the broadly defined concept of "classicism", namely order, balance, clarity, economy, and emotional restraint. As such, neoclassicism was a reaction against the unrestrained emotionalism and perceived formlessness of late romanticism, as well as a "call to order" after the experimental ferment of the first two decades of the twentieth century. Although in many ways neoclassical music returned to the forms and emotional restraint of eighteenth century music, works by these composers are nonetheless distinctly twentieth century."

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Neoclassical_Music

That should have been Ildjarn's biography.

I beg to differ. The call to order meant here is a call to return to formulaic paint-by-number tunes, to academic forms. This is the voice of modern-classical composers in the middle of the 20th century, incapable of touching the heights of Romanticism, in turn rationalizing their 'choice' to embrace mathematical constructions and avoid self-expression, lamenting 'Beethoven killed orderly music, boo hoo hoo.'

By the way: emotional restraint? In Ildjarn?