Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Behave like neurotypicals

May 09, 2012, 12:33:11 AM
How is it neoclassically styled?

May 09, 2012, 01:07:23 AM
find an example of a band that doesn't echo neoclassicism, or hasn't a shred of classical orchestration and/or dynamic technique

How about, all of them? What the fuck are you smoking? Where do you get off on this shit being "neoclassical"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV-xnzbZ_ks

May 09, 2012, 01:13:46 AM
"Neoclassicism is a trend in which composers sought to return to aesthetic precepts associated with the broadly defined concept of "classicism", namely order, balance, clarity, economy, and emotional restraint. As such, neoclassicism was a reaction against the unrestrained emotionalism and perceived formlessness of late romanticism, as well as a "call to order" after the experimental ferment of the first two decades of the twentieth century. Although in many ways neoclassical music returned to the forms and emotional restraint of eighteenth century music, works by these composers are nonetheless distinctly twentieth century."

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Neoclassical_Music

That should have been Ildjarn's biography.

Uhh... huh. Oooooh. I get it now.

May 09, 2012, 02:48:30 AM
The least you could do when trying to prove your point is to link to a non-shitty webcomic.

May 09, 2012, 06:05:37 AM
And the least you could do when talking about "neoclassical metal" is to actually refer to metal that is like classical music. Not some typical, musically illiterate double bass extravaganza for the kiddies to bang their heads to.

P.S. If you think there's a better webcomic than SMBC, let's see it.

May 09, 2012, 01:32:24 PM
And the least you could do when talking about "neoclassical metal" is to actually refer to metal that is like classical music. Not some typical, musically illiterate double bass extravaganza for the kiddies to bang their heads to.

P.S. If you think there's a better webcomic than SMBC, let's see it.

Actually choked on my tea when I saw what the first link in this post went to.

Seriously, you an idiot?

I think this is one of those occasions when you're just not arguing at the same level. 

Go away and do some more reading, you might learn something. Or go away troll somewhere else if that sounds too hard.

May 09, 2012, 03:16:59 PM
Cool ad hominem, bro.

Yet you didn't actually listen to or analyze to any of the music? Nice knee jerk reaction. If you would have you might have noticed that, unlike what you misappropriate as "neoclassical", this actually has something in common with classical music.

Also, telling someone to "do some more reading" (when the subject is music!) = "I can't provide a defense for my irrational, yet ingrained views." Seen this a lot with creationists and stormfront users.

May 09, 2012, 06:46:53 PM
Cool ad hominem, bro.

Yet you didn't actually listen to or analyze to any of the music? Nice knee jerk reaction. If you would have you might have noticed that, unlike what you misappropriate as "neoclassical", this actually has something in common with classical music.

Also, telling someone to "do some more reading" (when the subject is music!) = "I can't provide a defense for my irrational, yet ingrained views." Seen this a lot with creationists and stormfront users.

OK, enough browbeating.

The reason I told you to do some more reading is because joining this forum and engaging in the dialogue requires that you at least have an idea as to where this website is coming from in terms of ideals. This forum isn't perfect, but it's the best of its kind. You clearly haven't done even the most basic research, so I recommend you take a look at some of the key articles on the ANUS homepage like the history and FAQ. No, this isn't me ducking the question. But we're clearly talking past each other because of this, and those articles will explain things far more eloquently than I will.

Once you've done that you'll realise the different ways that we're using the terms classical and neo-classical and how these terms have been manipulated over time to apply not just to aesthetics like your little youtube link, but to form, technique and structure as well.

If you're just another troll then no doubt you'll be fucking off about now, but if you're actually willing to learn then do a little bit of research in order to have a more civilised discussion on this forum.

Yes, it is elitist, and no, that's actually a good thing.   

May 09, 2012, 09:01:29 PM
Once you've done that you'll realise the different ways that we're using the terms classical and neo-classical and how these terms have been manipulated over time to apply not just to aesthetics like your little youtube link, but to form, technique and structure as well.

Hahaha, oh wow. That link I posted is more "neoclassical" in technique, form and structure, not to mention composition, than anything you can cough up from your "ANUS approved" playlist. Don't kid yourself. Since you're stuck on aesthetics, if you played just a MIDI of that it would sound a million times closer to Beethoven, Mozart or Vivaldi than a competing MIDI of Emperor or whatever horseshit is of your choosing.

And you, an elitist? Excuse me? Never in a million years would I have thought of applying that term to you. Patting yourself on the back for thinking you belong to some "elitist" club that oddly enough has no entry requirements is almost as idiotic as thinking I disagree with you because I don't know anything about the nonsensical central dogmas of this site. Speaking of which, as far as metal is concerned, "neoclassical" here boils down to either a) any extreme metal that Prozak grew up with that has unconventional ("narrative") song structures or b) any extreme metal that Prozak grew up with that he arbitrarily chooses to call neoclassical because it "sounds powerful". Clearly, both are just wrong.

How about thinking for yourself for a change? If you're going to convince me that this "neoclassical" metal of yours is "100% derived from classical music", where's your proof? Where are your examples?

May 09, 2012, 09:23:32 PM
And I'm not very surprised that Bathory, Emperor and Morbid Angel among others were directly inspired by classical composers. Of course, what these fellows say they're inspired by may not prove anything about their actual music. I, too, can tell people I'm inspired by Beethoven and then record a lousy pop record. But, as I said, their inspirations come as no surprise to me.

I'm actually more surprised at Morbid Angel claiming inspiration from Mozart than from Sailor Moon, Chun-Li and Quake 3 Arena. You're right about "inspirations" meaning shit all in this case, though. I'd put more faith in Avril Lavigne's claims to being influenced by David Bowie and Black Sabbath. The Mozart on Blessed Are the Sick is pretty lacking.

"It's not your usual MTV rock 'n' roll, think of the experience more like a metal band playing folk melodies with all the drama and adventure of a classical music piece".

I read this and the first thing that comes to mind is Power Metal or Folk Metal.

May 09, 2012, 10:02:04 PM
It is clear, Necro, that you have joined this forum to stir things up and share your view. And while this may be an internet forum, I am surprised by the lack of respect or manners you seem to display.

I will tell you something of myself and not be afraid. I was born and raised in a small Italian town and came to America 20 years or so ago. I am 31 and have been a metalhead since age 15. I have worked hard everyday of my life to enjoy the things I love most: biking, weightlifting, craft beer, metal music. I am physically in shape and also am a musician since 14, classically trained as well. While none of this makes me special or better, it does give you an insight into just one of the Hessians here.

I see where you come from in bashing us, because it has taken me years to understand the breadth of what this forum offers. You have an ideal that we are idiots and stupid for believing in what we do. But we have said we are not perfect and that is one step closer to being a better man, and even more so a better human.

What I would like to know is what you believe in, what your life has taught you, and with this respect and honor can be understand between us.

And if this is a troll then hey I let some steam off for the day!

Cheers with a Weyerbacher Tiny Imperial Stout!

Re: Behave like neurotypicals
May 10, 2012, 01:16:34 AM
Necrosopher is clearly NegruVoda in disguise.

May 10, 2012, 03:11:17 AM
Yeah, it's him. No doubt about it.

But anyway, this is a silly argument. Yes, SOME metal resembles SOME classical in form and in content. Yes, SOME metal is directly influenced by SOME classical. No, not all metal derives from classical, and obviously metal involves its own unique innovations.

The relationship isn't even that important. There's nothing intrinsically good about the classical form. Metal can (and probably should) be assessed on its own merits.

This is what matters:

a.) Metal explores the human state in its most remote extremes... those parts of the psyche and imagination that are typically regarded as inhuman or inaccessible, alien, dangerous, etc, etc. Death, magic, warfare, and raw formless power, etc, etc.
b.) Metal takes all of that ugly darkness and wilderness and makes something orderly and beautiful out of it.

May 10, 2012, 03:35:22 AM
I believe the correct term is neoclassicism rather than a branch of music in the neoclassical tradition. The origins of metal lie within neoclassicism: an attempt to resuscitate prominent, non-musical elements from classical antiquity and the Gothic era in music form.

NHA

May 10, 2012, 02:27:12 PM
Someone wanna explain the dave picture to me? haha.

Daaaavvves not herrrre maaan.