Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Fandom

Fandom
May 13, 2012, 04:53:45 PM
I'm not entirely sure when the regiments became obscured, but if I'd guess I'd say early on and the oversaturation of Black Metal and Death Metal bands being problematic is only accelerating with future generations growing up in a less rigid, unpoliced culture. This is common, which is the most disturbing, because Black Metal and Death Metal have always been exclusive things in the way I've come to appreciate them.

I think it begins like this. I will use a comedic plan of action, in a fictional scenario:
Step 1: Buy a Burzum album.
Step 2: I can do this too.
Step 3: Fender purchase
Step 4: Record Burzum/Darkthrone riffs
Step 5: I have a band and it's called Ennightenskop, and my album demo is called "Igriffenskrig Mordus"
Step 5: I cease to enjoy Black Metal and Death Metal, I just make music with a sense of artistic license entitlement.
Step 6: My "band" goes nowhere
Step 7: Apply political angle: Ennightenskop are Totalitarian Theocrats who endorse theoretic Commune-Utopia.
Step 8: 10 people think you matter, repeat steps 4 and 5.
Step 9 (optional): If all else fails, do something immoral or legally compromising. Now Ennightenskop rapes turtles, as a standard thing. KVLT.

Being a fan is so underrated and under appreciated. There are innumerable boons that people never EVER seem to pick up on. For example as a fan, you don't work for metal; metal works for you. You're allowed to be as critical as you can, and this only pushes everything to increase in quality. You're judged significantly less negatively by your actions, accomplishment and/or failures- you're not living out a character that *some* people have applied to your being. You have the ability to use thought and voice as representations of the metal population, not the bamblings of a sore artist, and that is a very important component of the Hessian culture. Sweet collections, a variety of live programs to enjoy, parties, whatever...

Yes I have a band, but I view it as a hobby more than an organic symbol that contributes anything of importance. I accomplish personal goals through engagement with it and that's it. I much prefer spending 90% of the year being a fan.

What's wrong with being a fan?

"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

Re: Fandom
May 13, 2012, 06:10:50 PM
When it is no longer strictly about the art and turns into a tweemale mancrush centered on band members as celebrities, fandom is then dysfunctional for its reducing art to entertainment product. In a way, what was gold in value the moron crowd transforms into lead.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793