Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Lord Wind - Atlantean Monument

Lord Wind - Atlantean Monument
December 29, 2006, 12:33:53 PM
Just finished the first listen to this: wow. This is everything the second and third Lord Wind albums wanted to be. (The first Lord Wind was guitar-based, and sounded like Woodtemple done punk.)

It's got the subtlety and beauty he always wanted without the excessive metal-isms of being so martial and drum-heavy. This is easily as good as any soundtracks from open-footwear Hollywood.

Myrrdin

Re: Lord Wind - Atlantean Monument
December 29, 2006, 01:29:25 PM
Yeah, very good this.  You could tell from Rites of the Valkyries where he was attempting to take the Lord Wind sound, but didn't quite get there.

Atlantean Monuments does. The tracks have much more individual quality than Rites, and there is much less uniformity of instrumentation.

I think the percussion is still a little over-done myself; half the tracks would be improved by leaving the drum track out as the melodic development speaks for itself.  But the percussion  seems intent on hurrying on to the next track, for the same war drum/tambourine arrangement to tap away.

Very enjoyable though.

January 03, 2007, 09:54:50 AM
This is also my pick of '06, alongside the Celtic Frost, Sorcier des Glaces and Summoning.

January 04, 2007, 04:18:37 PM
I will give it a few more listens, but I really don't see the big deal of this album.  

January 04, 2007, 05:42:44 PM
I will give it a few more listens, but I really don't see the big deal of this album.  

Same here. I enjoy the earlier releases more.

January 04, 2007, 07:26:37 PM
The thing about it is the same with Graveland.  Rather than drift further on artistically, he feels that he should be perfecting one album over and over again.  This gives fans what they want I suppose, but it both destroys the original statement and does not allow for true growth.

That being said, there isn't much else good in the genres these days, and even if I don't like this album, it's certainly refreshing compared to most other "acts" that are around these days.

January 05, 2007, 11:29:14 AM
The thing about it is the same with Graveland.  Rather than drift further on artistically, he feels that he should be perfecting one album over and over again.  

This is true, and it's emblematic of where black metal is these days: cycling between the past and present, with the future unknown.

But it's better than all previous works and as it "includes" them, is my favorite from Lord Wind as well.

January 06, 2007, 11:53:18 PM
How can you say this is the same as Graveland? Harmonic, textural and rhythmic differences abound. And yes, this is the best Lord Wind yet.

January 07, 2007, 07:16:18 PM
How can you say this is the same as Graveland? Harmonic, textural and rhythmic differences abound. And yes, this is the best Lord Wind yet.

Please re-read what I wrote.  Lord Wind is not musically the same as what I wrote.  The two bands are the same in that all of their albums are just an attempt to recreate and perfect the previous album, rather than going in a different directoin artistically.

This isn't so bad, as the man has several projects.  If each one kept perfecting one album over and over, he'd still probably have more albums than Burzum had before Varg Vikernes was forced to stop.  A lot of great bands only have a handful of albums.