Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The good/freedom distinction

The good/freedom distinction
May 27, 2012, 03:08:45 AM
There is no end to the issues that the good/freedom distinction, a.k.a. the traditionalism/liberalism distinction (discussed here), can illuminate. In the linked entry, it illuminates the fallacious conservative belief in spreading democracy to Muslim nations.

For another example, it illuminates the repeated criticisms of me over the years that I want to be the pope of conservatives and dictate to everyone what conservatism is.

A conservative saying this to me shows that his highest principle is freedom. He doesnt believe in definitions and standards based on the true and the good, because such standards would interfere with everyones freedom to define conservatism as he likes.

If the conservatives criticizing me for my attempts to define conservatism were truly conservative, then they would say to me, Mr. Auster, I dont agree with your definition of conservatism. I think it is too narrow. In my understanding, conservatism means such and such. If they were to argue that way, it would show that they also believe in definitions and standards based on the true and the good, and we could have a discussion about what the best definition of conservatism is. But that is not what they say to me. Instead, without exception, they object to the very act of defining conservatism, an act they see as tyrannical.. By which these critics show that they are, at their intellectual core, liberals.

Posted by Lawrence Auster at May 26, 2012 02:50 PM

http://www.amnation.com/vfr/archives/022490.html
The Revolution ends by devouring its own children Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

Re: The good/freedom distinction
May 27, 2012, 06:05:20 AM
American conservatism is hilarious. It means nothing more than conserving classical liberalism. Which is why it fails. The right in all respects should drop the conservative label entirely. Instead embrace the positive and ancient/natural values/structure.

The south is the closest America ever got to it's own distinguishable culture. I would hold on to that and nothing else. However, that need not apply to Northern States, who never held this...aesthetic.
There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us

May 27, 2012, 02:34:20 PM
The south is the closest America ever got to it's own distinguishable culture.
Texas, New England, Utah (Deseret), Cascadia...

The only reason Europe appears to be more "cultured" than the US is it's older, they have prettier architecture without a doubt. The nations of the The United States (and the rest of the Americas for that matter) are still in genesis. It may be another 200 years or more before we see concrete ethnic lines.

In my experience your average western European is just as decadent and lost to their heritage as your average US American. You might be able to make an argument for southern and eastern Europe still having more of its culture intact but it seems to me this is only because they are one or two steps behind the rest of the western world.

May 27, 2012, 04:22:22 PM
The high cultures in Asia took a wrong turn as well. Prosperity for any of us simply accelerates the ascent to peak where afterward comes certain decline (no more need to struggle), a breaking apart and then a rejuvenation. China and Japan will have an edge for having maintained an explicit ethnic makeup within their own territories a little better. Their political considerations won't be subject to another constant variable which is resource distribution by biological group.

North America in particular will continue to struggle with this variable into breakup phase and beyond. My concern is the white multiculturalists will not in the future be taken to task for deliberately, smirkingly perpetrating this division and that the focus of conflict will shift solely to the Other, who once provided them control, then later providing the perpetrators camouflage to escape accountability.
The Revolution ends by devouring its own children Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

May 28, 2012, 07:24:41 AM
Even liberalism, when pushed hard, has to fall back on a conception of 'the good', or it makes no sense philosophically.

People who think you can dance around the task of taking a stand are playing post-modern games, (and on a practical level will eventually be rooted out by stronger groups who don't)

May 29, 2012, 02:46:46 PM
The south is the closest America ever got to it's own distinguishable culture.
Texas, New England, Utah (Deseret), Cascadia...

The only reason Europe appears to be more "cultured" than the US is it's older, they have prettier architecture without a doubt. The nations of the The United States (and the rest of the Americas for that matter) are still in genesis. It may be another 200 years or more before we see concrete ethnic lines.

In my experience your average western European is just as decadent and lost to their heritage as your average US American. You might be able to make an argument for southern and eastern Europe still having more of its culture intact but it seems to me this is only because they are one or two steps behind the rest of the western world.

I don't disagree with European decadence. I'm told there are 7 ages of humanity and we are the fifth.

The age of the aryan.

Are we witnessesing the slow death of this stage in the human cycle?
There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us

May 31, 2012, 09:36:47 PM
, ?