Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Question about metal as a multiculture

Question about metal as a multiculture
May 27, 2012, 09:32:40 AM
If metal is rooted in ancient European culture,then how could it be established as a multiculture?

This is a question I'd like to ask Conservationist or other the leaders of this forum.

Re: Question about metal as a multiculture
May 31, 2012, 05:35:08 AM
Well for starters, "European" is a very wide group. Finns and Spaniards have next to nothing in common but are both European.

May 31, 2012, 11:33:56 AM
Well for starters, "European" is a very wide group. Finns and Spaniards have next to nothing in common but are both European.

But what about Chinese or Koreans?

June 01, 2012, 03:01:42 PM
Death metal can be appreciated by a diverse group of species.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWhxCB0ndJE

June 01, 2012, 04:05:32 PM
Death metal can be appreciated by a diverse group of species.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWhxCB0ndJE

Sorry sir,appreciate is one thing,but values and goals can be shared among specific people,that is to say culture is another.

June 02, 2012, 03:13:34 PM
These guys are from Sri Lanka:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejSAnjs3KNo

June 03, 2012, 10:17:57 AM
These guys are from Sri Lanka:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejSAnjs3KNo

Repetitive three riff going-nowhere sub par Dismember clone.

E

June 03, 2012, 07:59:14 PM
Attempt to answer the question, which I think is an interesting one.

-From a genealogical point of view, metal as an art form is rooted in Europe.
-Content-wise, it has its obvious precursors in Antiquity and Romanticism.
-But in this regard, the typical warlike spirit of metal is an atavism, whose essence is probably found in any societies' cultural expression as well- at some point in time.
-Present day, the cultural relevance of metal probably extends to wherever society decayed to the point of self-destruction, a tendency to which metal is a reaction.

Indeed, in a pluralistic society I think elective cultures such as those that surround styles of music like heavy metal are, if anything, more legitimate than other forms.
They show our capacity to build our cultural frameworks out of the things that matter most to us rather than simply accept what has been foreordained as having value.
Article

So i'd say metal is not an 'established multiculture', but an elective culture (/second nature), in which participation isn't restricted by geography/ethnicity beforehand.

June 04, 2012, 05:37:01 AM
Attempt to answer the question, which I think is an interesting one.

-From a genealogical point of view, metal as an art form is rooted in Europe.
-Content-wise, it has its obvious precursors in Antiquity and Romanticism.
-But in this regard, the typical warlike spirit of metal is an atavism, whose essence is probably found in any societies' cultural expression as well- at some point in time.
-Present day, the cultural relevance of metal probably extends to wherever society decayed to the point of self-destruction, a tendency to which metal is a reaction.

Indeed, in a pluralistic society I think elective cultures such as those that surround styles of music like heavy metal are, if anything, more legitimate than other forms.
They show our capacity to build our cultural frameworks out of the things that matter most to us rather than simply accept what has been foreordained as having value.
Article

So i'd say metal is not an 'established multiculture', but an elective culture (/second nature), in which participation isn't restricted by geography/ethnicity beforehand.

Thank you so much,great post indeed.

June 04, 2012, 01:43:40 PM
Few here would have been able to answer the question as well as you E!