Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The icy winds of black metal's logic

Phoenix

The icy winds of black metal's logic
May 27, 2012, 10:34:49 PM
On the path to enlightenment, when negative thoughts or emotions arise one must acknowledge them, accept them and let them pass, without clinging to them, without associating one’s identity with them. Here often arises inner conflict. “Am I willing to let this go?” “Is this really what I want?” “Is it fair that I have to make this choice?” “Do I really need to surrender?” Etc. These excuses disgust me, because they presuppose that I must admit a weakness, confess a wrong or otherwise cut a part of myself off. I have fully recognized how I am in my mortal coil and I have fully calculated and planned how I will become hereafter.

Essentially, where the LHPer (left-hand path-er) guided by logic considers their being solely as that which allows negative thoughts and emotions to pass without clinging, the RHPer (right-hand pather-er) guided by faith considers their being  as that which is constantly sublimated by and guided by that which allows negative thoughts and emotions to pass without clinging. In both cases the ‘furthest-back observer’ or ‘higher self’ is never completely one’s true identity in this world’s physical existence, as the act of identifying one’s being towards it, the act of labeling the labeler, whether by logic or by faith, exemplifies the ‘conscious control agency’ or ‘ego’.

Where devotion to logic insists that clinging to negative thoughts and emotions is utterly unhealthy and inefficient, devotion to faith implores that clinging to negative thoughts and emotions is wholly sinful and banished. The LHPer’s devotion to logic is not like a hot ray but rather like a cold wind, an ally not striking down that which is condemned but rather an ally purging that which is already purged. Where for the LHPer who has realized a self-sufficient internal integrity that which is already purged is already purged because the choice is already chosen, the logic already realized and unflinching, for the RHPer who has realized self-transcendent external surrender that which is condemned is struck down because they are willing to let that piece of their personality be cut off and reincarnated as impersonal divine consciousness.

For the LHPer affirmation towards the light is affirmation that one is not already the light in the first place and is a poor way to pursue spiritual growth. Move thus ever towards the darkness, seeking always opportunity to do that which is the natural way of light, to shine. The thing about logic is that it cuts through all the self-pity and self-doubt like a hot knife through butter, it can freeze even the most darkly burning hearts into catatonia. What defines the LHP master is not the poses they strike or the actions they take, but the over-arching personality and character of the actor and the knowledge that every act is but a tiny piece of their masterfully-laid plan.

The cold winds of black metal logic are personal, “egocentric” if you want, but impeccably calibrated to an enlightened vector as the LHP master retains their personality in the self-sufficient internal integrity of their reality paradigm. Ah but as with occult things this is not easy to achieve, and as a result the underachiever is far more pitiful on the LHP than on the RHP, which may explain the horrendous dichotomy between that black metal which expresses a sound of wisdom, exaltation and warrior spirit and that other black metal which expresses a sound of horror, wretchedness and despair.

It can be difficult to distinguish between the two types of black metal, however. The coldness of logic, subverting the blissful ignorance of innate sinfulness’ exaggerated humility, bears a brunt like no other, and its frostbitten stillness reaps havoc on the world of convention. Perhaps the only real difference, as the LHP is the razor’s edge, is that the lesser type of black metal only attempts to bear a brunt like no other and only attempts to reap havoc on the world of convention, and its failure to do so echoes louder than its effort. It is a good thing, then, that this text speaks in polarized, analogical extremes for the sake of making a point, and that in reality the middle way, along which LHPers and RHPers both essentially must walk, is somewhat forgiving towards failure after all.

Perhaps in its extremity this text will fail to connect with certain readers, but for others I hope it will be most insightful—it’s a necessary trade-off, indeed, not everybody can truly appreciate good black metal, either. The way of enlightenment on the LHP is not devoid of warmth, but the icy winds of logic are a potent and majestic treasure through which the fire of wisdom may be realized.

Re: The icy winds of black metal's logic
May 28, 2012, 07:22:37 AM
I don't understand your comparison of LHP and RHP. What is your contention? If i know this I might be able to understand the argument

Phoenix

May 29, 2012, 03:10:42 AM
I don't understand your comparison of LHP and RHP. What is your contention? If i know this I might be able to understand the argument

This is funny, I don't understand what you mean when you're asking what my contention is.

I wasn't really making any arguments--to do so I would have had to elaborate the issues more clearly and provide supporting evidence--rather I was just elaborating my views a la gloss / commentary. Perhaps it was intended for a specific audience, not only in the sense that it speaks about advanced concepts but also in the sense that it employs particular kinds of terminologies and references. This type of subject matter is discussed so little, I find it's difficult to broach, especially considering my preferred writing style!

May 29, 2012, 03:22:58 AM
That's alright I might have missed the point. I thought you were making comparisons between LHP and RHP, i just didn't get it, and i wanted to.

May 29, 2012, 02:48:33 PM
Interesting! I think you could elaborate each paragraph into its own article.
I don't know about you guys, but I love my under-120s. They're so cute and funny. Just yesterday one stole my GPS unit and another one took a dump in my yard. Ha ha, they're such cards.

June 04, 2012, 02:43:17 AM

I am in full agreement with the brunt of your post. An external encouragement, an ally of distance. The Sun no longer rises, etc.

Often negative thoughts are truth, and the negativity is due to an incompatibility to an previously undoubted aspect of ourselves. However, a maze can occur, so fixation on a distant object or knowledge of a worthy goal will provide guidance, hence the ultimate blurring of both RHP and LHP despite methedological differences. Your post seems to rely heavily on this distinction, and while it disctinction is the essence of information, at one level this will break down. I have seen your previous posts and know that you are fully aware of keeping the map and territory seperate, just wanted to introduce a possible further [lesser?] distinction.

Also, I wonder how much of black metal is projected. My musical tastes were very light [Soli Punk Gloria], but as I matured I realized that metal reflected a part of myself that I found useful. When attempting to share what I have found to be a superior musical form, unless they have had a previous affinity for a similar style of music, my attempts have fallen on deaf ears. I wonder if this style is not a time dependent form of truth where at certain stages it has a strong potency which dulls to nearly inert as the would-be listener ages. This may also explain the regular impulses towards classical I find on this site, as the message draped in different emotional clothes becomes attractive.

As always, thanks for the input. My apologies for not being able to deepen your post.

Phoenix

June 04, 2012, 04:26:28 AM
Often negative thoughts are truth, and the negativity is due to an incompatibility to an previously undoubted aspect of ourselves. However, a maze can occur, so fixation on a distant object or knowledge of a worthy goal will provide guidance, hence the ultimate blurring of both RHP and LHP despite methedological differences.

I don't see how it blurs the LHP / RHP dichotomy. In my post I was speaking in polarized LHP / RHP terms, but in my paradigm I believe both paths exist and I firmly walk the LHP. I believe the middle way is at the essence of both paths.

I wonder if this style is not a time dependent form of truth where at certain stages it has a strong potency which dulls to nearly inert as the would-be listener ages.

I know that I would listen to very, very little metal if I were to allow myself to be fully enlightened (as I have in the past), but as things stand currently I wish to remain in the thick of society and so I make a compromise of sorts; and it makes me very sad that metal isn't fully compatible with enlightenment. At the same time, I hope that in enlightenment I could push the envelope and find a way to incorporate metal... I'm hopeful that it's possible, but I'm not certain. At worst certain black metal is an excellent path towards LHP enlightenment. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm sure metal could be enlightenment-compatible, if I could actually make the music myself, but that would require great sums of money!

My apologies for not being able to deepen your post.

Come now, that's quite enough of that.

June 04, 2012, 06:30:26 AM
You can not choose the terms of 'enlightenment'.
Nor which aspects of yourself to 'give up' to realize it.
Enlightenment is only possible when you give up everything.
Absolutely everything.

Unless 'enlightenment', to some, is just another word, like 'awesome', that can apply to anything at all.

Squawk!

Phoenix

June 04, 2012, 06:47:22 AM
You can not choose the terms of 'enlightenment'.
Nor which aspects of yourself to 'give up' to realize it.
Enlightenment is only possible when you give up everything.
Absolutely everything.

Unless 'enlightenment', to some, is just another word, like 'awesome', that can apply to anything at all.

It's true, the surrender necessary to realize enlightenment should not be underestimated.

At the same time, all enlightened persons are not exact clones of one another.

Furthermore, can one transform one's inner-most essence?

June 04, 2012, 07:06:17 AM
One's innermost essence is tasteless, colourless and odourless.
One never imagines it is even there, until one gives oneself up and simply exists, in silence.
Then, suddenly, it becomes all there is, and then you know what 'you' is, without the identity.
Squawk!

Phoenix

June 04, 2012, 05:35:21 PM
One's innermost essence is tasteless, colourless and odourless.
One never imagines it is even there, until one gives oneself up and simply exists, in silence.
Then, suddenly, it becomes all there is, and then you know what 'you' is, without the identity.

Sound like a homogeneous blog to me. As the adage goes, a unity is only truly a unity with a healthy variety to unify.

June 04, 2012, 05:49:13 PM
"Colours blind the eye", so says Lao Tzu.
What is "healthy variety", anyway?
Truth is uniform and dazzling, along with its paradoxical inverse.

Squawk!

Phoenix

June 04, 2012, 07:25:58 PM

June 04, 2012, 11:50:59 PM
I don't see how it blurs the LHP / RHP dichotomy. In my post I was speaking in polarized LHP / RHP terms, but in my paradigm I believe both paths exist and I firmly walk the LHP. I believe the middle way is at the essence of both paths.

I believe they differ in methodology alone: while the LHP disregards the external in trying to acheive Non-Serviam, they end up creating a Servitor of the self, which ends up playing an identical role as the RHP's external Deity.

I know that I would listen to very, very little metal if I were to allow myself to be fully enlightened (as I have in the past), but as things stand currently I wish to remain in the thick of society and so I make a compromise of sorts; and it makes me very sad that metal isn't fully compatible with enlightenment. At the same time, I hope that in enlightenment I could push the envelope and find a way to incorporate metal... I'm hopeful that it's possible, but I'm not certain. At worst certain black metal is an excellent path towards LHP enlightenment. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm sure metal could be enlightenment-compatible, if I could actually make the music myself, but that would require great sums of money!

Under my definition of enlightenment things such as music, sex, food etc. need not be purged. I personally take enlightenment to mean a state where things are seen for what they are, to observe and not add. Granted this is not a simple task if one wants to perpetually exist in this state, but it can and does happen to nearly anybody at any time, often with no effort or even desire to see things this way, and it is possible that one could see things this way and disregard or even squelch it as nonsense. I highly recommend Marcus Aurelius's Meditation for some daily inspiration. A bit harder read is the Zhuangzi as it requires cultural knowledge for some parts, although the brunt of the early chapters can be grokked by any 120+.

June 04, 2012, 11:53:52 PM
That definition sounds more like conservatism than enlightenment.
I figured we were all using the same word for entirely different things.
Squawk!