Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Why do people put weird photos of themselves on Facebook?

Phoenix

This is an honest question that I'm curious about.

Why do people fill their Facebook albums with photos of themselves making funny faces, making exaggerated sexual faces / kissing a platonic friend, or being drunk / high? And why do some women (especially younger girls) post photos of themselves distorted with image editing software to make their faces / bodies look cooky?

Furthermore, I wonder what percentage of the population is curious about this as I am. I wonder what percentage of the people posting these photos of themselves actually realize others may think it strange of them to do so?

Oh and I guess I might as well ask, are you one of those people who post weird photos of yourself on Facebook?

I've wondered about this. It's a real bonding thing nowasays to pout your lips with someone else or to strike a ghetto pose and generally be foolish for a photo. God works in mysterious ways!

Spotting DRD4 self-expressionists is nearly as revelatory as actively sorting them with Auster's Litmus Test.

Because this is an age of solipsism. People worship the self to ridiculous degrees of superficiality.

Inherently, posting a few pictures online of gatherings with friends or whatnot is not a bad idea, provided that one takes care to ensure that the pictures don't contain anything TOO sketchy (bad time to show off your new meth pipe). But people are dumb enough to do just that, and judges have been accepting facebook photos as evidence to help convict people.

It may seem to you, OP, that posting pictures of that kind is foolish and the decision to do so is obviously poor, but you must remember that most people don't think in those kinds of terms. Its all MEMEME.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

I am really fascinated by the process of a female's ego when she takes a picture of herself.. when she is alone in the bathroom or bedroom making some stupid face, then uploads it from her camera, edits the contrast and brightness and loads it to Facebook. For girls it's a way to revel in their natural exhibitionism and narcissism and take it to 1000. They want to get as much attention as possible while they are genetically viable.

Social networking sites have a way of revealing a person's intent. People on there are dying to reveal something in those photos and vague statuses. Underneath the manipulated online persona, there is a kind of raw truth about a person's psychology.

The proccess is the same for all... I was just looking myself in the mirror today after shaving, and with a great black shirt that made a great combination. I remembered how obsessed I always was with appearence and how I still am. I thought that I would not say anything when I arrive in college, but I know the people are going to notice that I'm prettier, because the black shirt really matches me and I rarely appear shaven. Some healthier people may enter the classroom and make comments about their looks, in this same situation. It's just that I don't want to say anything, due to shyness, not many friends, solidified preconceptions, etc... But I do care. On the other hand, a more deluded person than I may even lie to himself that he does not care he is looking better today, go to the place where people are, act like if nothing is different, and if somebody says something, act flattered and like if you did not even know you were different.

Now, the above was about appearence, vanity. But there is a more esoteric side to transicx's question and it is deeply related to the way reality is presented to us in this world, to our minds and, dare I say, to the embodiment of spirit in this world.

This issue has haunted me for years. It is also related to the inability of some group of socially awkward people to recognize irony, among other things. It has to do with details and essence.

Note that transcix gave specific examples: They were not just show-off photos of hot bodies, prestigious situations (receiving prize, etc.) and money. There are preconceived notions, pre-fabricated faces, archetypes. The lips the girl makes, pointing to your friend on the picutre, exaggerating extremely the face and other stuff to imply one is drunk/high, etc... Often in a way almost like a caricature.

Sadly, I can only describe my feelings by giving examples. And the example I give is, this is also related to spectacle. Like when I was a kid I did not understand at all why other kids were so fascinated with movies with car chases, car races, etc... and did not understand their pleasure when telling something they saw, like a guy going real high in a bike jump or something. I just could never picture it. Later, when I discovered marijuana, I got to understand it a little better.

This is also related to sitcoms: I have seen moments in sitcoms that weren't even funny. But they put that damn laugh there anyway and make a funny situation.

I remember an episode of Seinfeld when Elaine is worried about something and tells her boyfriend Puddy, and he says: "Talk to me, babe." I mean, that's not even funny. But they put the laughs anyway. Yes, I know this is a pre-fabricated line in america, so the fact that puddy decided to use it confirms the fact that he is an average guy or something and this is funny, but still...

Now we are going to get closer to the point: Another aspect I never got was how people, specially in songs, and this is important, and it happens a lot in rap songs, use some totally trivial thing in a way which makes it fit the spectacle and look cool. BUT, the thing must be in relation to something else that is happening, it must be a detail, like a tattoo. A tattoo does not make anyone mor alternative or badass. But if you have something of either of those two in ya, it is going to make you look more of it. So you got rap artists saying stuff like "Rolling trought the neighborhood all day long, starting to get cold so I put my jacket on!"

Putting a jacket on is not cool, but you're missing the point. As I said, saying these little details in the right way, at the right time captivates people. You will see that they like those parts of the song as much as less trivial ones. It is inseparable to them, as it should, because it indicated an unity.

Now considering the pre-made faces the girls make and other situations in photos, it is all about the body. the body is already here, it is divine, it is complete, it is beautiful. Most of it is inside, the essence, the mind, achievements, etc... That stuff cannot be all shown in photos. But the spirit seeks to express itself in all places, facial expressions, body, clothes, scenes, etc... So it is not enough, in a photo, to show you are drinking beer. Take a fucking photo of you and your friend with faces like maniacs and a refrigerator full of beer cans, or thousands of beer boxes. (Who has not seen one like this?).

This has to do with the mind expressing itself in the physical.

You may have a rapper who is muscled, with tattoos, diamond earings, harsh and famous. The fans can say look at that great tattoo, or those clothes... but this does not make the rapper. He would be viewed differently without those itens, but they do not make him. They are details. The mind, seeing the picture, focus on the details in order to better define.

And I'm only explaning 1% of what I feel, but this issue is very hard to talk about.

Another example is humor: See how much in stand up comedy is details. It gotta have substance, but the right detail said in the right way can take the crowd to delirium. Yet, the detail itself would be nothing (we still need bodies, nature, etc.. in the photos, not just the cute details mentioned).

Another example: A guy sings: "Rolling in the hood in my new bike, it's a (brand name) so it is fine, pass throught some kids outside that's playing, damn it's time for me to start slaying."

Don't nobody give a fuck about his new bike, and yet, this gives a new charm to the song.

There is a older person close to me that said that when you take off your shirt and put it in your soulder, it's "charming". That is another perfect example, but only people who live near the beach will understand because people at least here do this. Why should the fact that the person has the shirt on his shoulder, as opposed to being no-shirt but without shirt in shoulder, be more desirable? Because it has a great involvment with environment, people, conditions... It may be that once it was just a plain fact, in hot days, to do this. But due to repetition it becomes a "charm".

Here in anus, this thing I'm mentioning is present at the humorous texts: The writer makes use of all details available to him.

The key, for me, has to do with inversion, and the fact that we are tridimensional bodies looking outisde at effects.

I wrote the above without much care, but if someone begins to grasp what I'm talking about and wants to discuss, post here.

--

I hope I did not give the impression that it is all simulation and appearence: Most people who show exaggerated drunk photos really were drunk. The sexy girls really are sexy, etc... The details only confirm and enhance it, but they would do nothing by themselves. That's why it's nice to take a drunk picture at a dance club or party: It's genuine.
You're quite hostile.

I got a right to be hostile, man, my people been persecuted!

Phoenix

Note that transcix gave specific examples: They were not just show-off photos of hot bodies, prestigious situations (receiving prize, etc.) and money. There are preconceived notions, pre-fabricated faces, archetypes. The lips the girl makes, pointing to your friend on the picutre, exaggerating extremely the face and other stuff to imply one is drunk/high, etc... Often in a way almost like a caricature.

Bingo.

"Rolling trought the neighborhood all day long, starting to get cold so I put my jacket on!"

Hahahahaha!

There's seems to be a point at which these simple actions, like a gangster guy stretching his shoulders and pumping himself up as he gets off the bus, becomes of a form of expression intended to a specific audience: the person doing the actions recognizes his exaggerated stretching will be cool to some, but to others it will be an obvious embellishment. It's sort of like art, some paintings don't appeal to me because of their style, but if I put some effort into it I can manage to appreciate the painting and I can understand why it would appeal to others. I wonder to what extent black gangster-type people realize that strange looks they receive are sometimes due to people finding their actions looney, not because of anything to do with racism; then if they get in your face for it and play the race card, are they aware of the situation's subtle complexities and just playing with you? Interestingly maybe it goes beyond just 'playing', maybe they mean to demand respect rather than asking for it, enforcing their unique social aesthetics onto others through intimidation. Hmmmm, it's a good thing I know how to walk a thin line, because I would never back down if others force their style onto my anti-style / no-style style (and I make it look good by the way).

I can manage to appreciate various acts of coolness or other types of egocentric indulgence, but I find weird Facebook photos very... weird indeed. What do the people making the funny faces think they're getting at? That they're goofy? Is it some sort of subversive statement towards who they are, who a fucked up society has molded them into being? A sort of braking out of the mold of normalcy? But can't they think of better ways of breaking out of the mold than by looking bewildered or mentally ill? For example they could pose with a knife or a gun and subvert the the normalcy of their being through a more aggressive way. Or they could make some sort of artsy surrealist photos that challenge conventional thinking. But the phenomenon of making stupid faces seems to be pretty consistent across many people, it's not just some random thing a few people do, so I have to wonder what it's really speaking to.

I remember an episode of Seinfeld when Elaine is worried about something and tells her boyfriend Puddy, and he says: "Talk to me, babe." I mean, that's not even funny. But they put the laughs anyway. Yes, I know this is a pre-fabricated line in america, so the fact that puddy decided to use it confirms the fact that he is an average guy or something and this is funny, but still...

I don't quite understand the rest of your post, but this _is_ funny. Why? It's not only the pre-fabricated, cheesy line which in itself is funny (but not very much). The comedic value also lies in Puddy's way of devilering this line, that is, his tonality and expression when saying it; all these things communicate that he's a bit of a simpleton. Feeling me, 'nilla?

For example they could pose with a knife or a gun and subvert the the normalcy of their being through a more aggressive way. Or they could make some sort of artsy surrealist photos that challenge conventional thinking. But the phenomenon of making stupid faces seems to be pretty consistent across many people, it's not just some random thing a few people do, so I have to wonder what it's really speaking to.
Have you looked into the phenomenon of hyperreality? It's the first thing that comes to my mind when I see the sort of thing you're talking about. Post-modern, high-tech (i.e. today's Western) culture seems to depend on it for sustenance. As for its cause(s), I don't know - I suspect it's akin to thinking fruit is bland since you've been eating refined sugar since you were three.

Zyklon B, that was a very good read. I think I understand what you're trying to express, but, like you, I have trouble putting it into words. It is interesting that talking about your bike, pouting your lips, and throwing your shirt over your shoulder can elicit completely differing reactions depending on your other traits, and on your audience. This suggests that the USA is indeed multicultural - not in the sense of the word that the leftist crowd loves, which is really monoculture, but in the sense of different sets of shared values. And this is, inevitably, an enormous source of conflict - I do not refer here to aggressive, physical conflict, but rather things as subtle not being able to understand what your compatriots are actually trying to communicate behind their spoken words. Ultimately, you can't ever respond to what a person is saying - you can only respond to your interpretation of what they're saying, and hope that your interpretation is fairly accurate. Even people who say they "celebrate cultural differences" in this country realize this on some intrinsic level; that's why everybody, regardless of origin, has to follow the same social codes. But you're allowed to open your very own unique Ethiopian restaurant, so your culture is preserved!
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

facebook is a social-networking site.

you're supposed to express yourself and your interests with others. some people like to express how retarded and goofy they are.

it's all a part of being on facebook.

There should be an alternate site for those kinds of people:
Assbook.
Squawk!