Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Why extrovert socializers are stupid

Why extrovert socializers are stupid
June 02, 2012, 03:37:00 AM
'You may joke about how committee meetings make you feel brain dead, but our findings suggest that they may make you act brain dead as well,' said Read Montague the study leader at Virginia Tech.

Groups of volunteers showed measurable drops in IQ when asked to perform intelligence tests socially, with the results broadcast to the group.

Some people performed well in the 'social' tests, but others were affected badly - and overall, performance dropped.

Women appear to feel this pressure more than men - only three out of 13 female volunteers performed well in a social environment, with 10 out of 13 finding that their peformance dropped.

The researchers used a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanner to monitor how people's brains responded - and found that bad peformers tended to show activity in parts of their brain that dealt with emotions and anxiety.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2097737/Meetings-cause-measurable-drop-peoples-IQs-say-researchers.html
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

Re: Why extrovert socializers are stupid
June 02, 2012, 06:34:36 AM
Some volunteers got anxious taking a test in a group, so being sociable is stupid? How far up your ass did you find that conclusion? If anything I'd say people these days aren't extroverted enough, nobody communicates, they would rather be left alone in their own little microcosm.

Why do some here seem to be on a crusade against extroversion? I thought we were all for organic communities where everyone knows each other and talk with their neighbors on a regular basis? I wouldn't want to live in a society full of asocial people, that wouldn't even be a society at all. It would probably look kind of like this one with neighborhoods full of walled in houses and people with no relationship to one another.

I love socializing and getting to know the people around me, if you don't then I say you're missing out on a lot in life.

June 02, 2012, 03:01:11 PM
A better approach among (true) equals is to independently come up with good ideas, then share to discuss potential faults. Political and social correctness jails must be completely destroyed.

However: Many small brains < One large brain

Oh shit, I think you just disproved Democracy.
I don't know about you guys, but I love my under-120s. They're so cute and funny. Just yesterday one stole my GPS unit and another one took a dump in my yard. Ha ha, they're such cards.

June 02, 2012, 06:21:23 PM
A large brain is not much use if there is nothing in it.
Then again, maybe emptiness is more useful than we think...
Squawk!

July 13, 2012, 01:46:05 AM
Insecurity/underconfidence causes one of the phenotypic extrovert typologies to manifest. Extroverts are most likely subjected to abusive or controlling parenting from their formative years or prior. Sometimes the parents, themselves insecure, were just clinging and overly attentive. This type of person is on a lifelong quest for validation, not for acquiring understanding.

Introverts on the other hand usually start out early not necessarily abusively neglected but often left on their own for extended periods of time. These tend to have confident parents, sometimes overly confident to the extent of occasional neglect where the child might need attention. Extreme cases might be those who shear off the norm into full blown autistic types.

What drives extroverts is not whether they are right, but if someone will agree with them which actually has nothing to do with being accurate and so it all follows from the preceding article. This is why socialization primarily (including defensive outbursts, emotive protestations, etc.), instead of solitary study or introspection or observation then afterward sometimes bothering to communicate with others, is extroverted contrasted against introverted behaviour.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

July 14, 2012, 07:11:12 AM
Can this entire discussion be summed up in a few sentences?

Intelligence is the ability to be sensitive to distinctions. To carry out effective plans is a mark of high intelligence and wisdom.

Extroverts make and seek social distinction. This is useful in a world full of people.

Introverts make and seek object distinctions via dissociation/objectification. This is useful when applied to objects, but makes non-introverts uncomfortable as they cannot/will not see themselves as objects. Enter political conversation, etc.

In a world devoid of interaction, one is more useful. In a society dependent on effective interaction, one is more useful. Thus both can claim to be properly basic. To argue either exclusively is the realm of the clowns in RAW's Illuminatus: a false distinction useful for dialectics.

July 15, 2012, 11:22:45 AM
What drives extroverts is not whether they are right, but if someone will agree with them which actually has nothing to do with being accurate and so it all follows from the preceding article. This is why socialization primarily (including defensive outbursts, emotive protestations, etc.), instead of solitary study or introspection or observation then afterward sometimes bothering to communicate with others, is extroverted contrasted against introverted behaviour.

I  didn't originally see where you were going with this in the first post, but that's an interesting perspective.  

This turned out to be a problem at the place I worked at while they trained me in.  All they wanted was a lot of nodding and smiling, even though their way of doing things didn't make much sense to me.  Luckily I was able to seize a few opportunities to tinker with some ideas alone - failing a few times but learning why it didn't work instead of apologizing to someone for it - and now I'm the most productive guy they have even though I never bothered going through most of their hoops.

At that same job I never bothered pretending to like everyone.  Instead I made genuine connections with a few other good workers, and if I'm in a jam I can count on them to give me a hand and get the job done quickly and correctly because we actually respect each other and enjoy being around one another - we're not just trying to put on a show for others to seem popular,  which some six figure salary guys at this place actually do, strange as it is.

But I know it's possible to be extroverted/outgoing while also managing to be productive and thoughtful (not that anyone denied it, but it was also never brought up), so it would be a mistake to write that quality off entirely.

July 15, 2012, 12:47:37 PM
How do we solve this attention seeking, extroverted narcissist question?

Answer: Throw all celebrities into the grinder.

July 15, 2012, 01:21:54 PM
I don't know about that, but the people who buy into it need to burn.

The Oscars and everything like it?  It's not like there will ever be a year where they'll go "we didn't have any good actors this time around, so the entire ceremony
has been called off."  It's always on regardless of how stupid and unnecessary the shit they turn out is.  They have their own PR team built
into their operation, so why anyone would take it seriously is beyond me.

Saying that feels unnecessary but it also applies to advertising, prescription drugs, fashion - basically all of pop culture.  Anything lowbrow people can think of to kill time from using or earn money by creating.

July 15, 2012, 06:20:36 PM
The same goes for http://stanfordreview.org/article/obamas-nobel-peace-prize-sparks-controversy/

But that all falls under Nashnal Lowerd Stdandards day doesn't it.

July 15, 2012, 07:03:48 PM
The Nobel Peace Prize has become a joke. I want to see someone of note who actually accomplishes things, is nominated and wins the award, and then just turns it down and denounces the whole shebang as a fraud. That'd be a hoot.

No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

July 23, 2012, 03:26:09 AM
Studies by the author have demonstrated many significant relationships between these personality traits and ADHD symptoms.  Indeed, virtually all of the variance in ADHD symptoms reported by parents is explained by brief parental estimates of low I.Q. and three of  these personality traits (Emotional stability, Extroversion and Agreeableness).  Children with low intelligence, low emotional stability, high extroversion and low agreeableness are perceived by their parents as being “inattentive” and “hyperactive”.

In a psychotherapy application the author once found Big Five personality trait scores very helpful in counseling a depressed middle-aged male.  This man had a college degree and was working nights as a janitor in a public school.  One week he came to his counseling session in a noticeably happy mood.  He had worked days that week to fill in for a janitor on vacation.  The client explained that he was happy because he’d gotten to talk to children and teachers frequently while working.  Testing revealed a high score on Extroversion.

http://www.funeducation.com/tests/personalitytest/Manual.aspx