Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Racist hate laws returning

Racist hate laws returning
June 04, 2012, 02:40:26 PM
“Trust us: when the Congressional Black Caucus tells you that a voter ID law will be detrimental to black empowerment — black political empowerment — we know what we are talking about and it is for real,” Butterfield continued, before contradicting himself (with respect to the alleged goals of the “right-wing conspiracy” trying to return to 1900. “What they want to do is not take away the right to vote, but if black voter participation can be diminished even by ten percent it will make that critical difference all across the country. President Obama won my state, in the last election, by 14,000 votes. Had we had a voter ID law in North Carolina he would not have won the state of NC and probably could not have won the presidency.”

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/dem-scotus-part-racist-right-wing-conspiracy/570266

(What leadership under a liberal democracy does with your time.)

Re: Racist hate laws returning
June 05, 2012, 10:06:31 PM
“Trust us: when the Congressional Black Caucus tells you that a voter ID law will be detrimental to black empowerment — black political empowerment — we know what we are talking about and it is for real,” Butterfield continued, before contradicting himself (with respect to the alleged goals of the “right-wing conspiracy” trying to return to 1900. “What they want to do is not take away the right to vote, but if black voter participation can be diminished even by ten percent it will make that critical difference all across the country. President Obama won my state, in the last election, by 14,000 votes. Had we had a voter ID law in North Carolina he would not have won the state of NC and probably could not have won the presidency.”

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/dem-scotus-part-racist-right-wing-conspiracy/570266

(What leadership under a liberal democracy does with your time.)

It's a classic illustration of the ways in which our politicians love to address issues that don't matter to the exclusion of those that do.  There's not enough vote fraud in the US to justify spending a second of legislative time on laws to prevent it, nor will requiring voters to show photo identification disenfranchise any substantial number of minorities.  These are laws that aren't needed, but have no real negative impact, either.  Which, I suppose, makes them perfect bones for contention: no one has to risk losing anything important..

June 10, 2012, 01:54:57 AM
It's insane how much the left-wing is a pity party, even when they're nothing to get upset over. The most racist people you'll find are on the left.

June 10, 2012, 02:04:59 AM
nor will requiring voters to show photo identification disenfranchise any substantial number of minorities.  

You're wrong there. It definitely will, as minority groups tend to have higher rates of crime in the USA, and so have a higher chance of being prohibted from carrying common state issued ID's like drivers licenses or trade licenses. Of course, the standard issue regular "state ID" which just says one's name, DOB, and what state they're from in addition to personal characteristics can be obtained, but not many people have them or know about them to my knowledge.

But, that just highlights problems inherent to those respective minority groups, not these laws. Ultimately I agree that these laws are just a distraction from the real problems.

June 10, 2012, 02:34:30 AM
nor will requiring voters to show photo identification disenfranchise any substantial number of minorities.  

You're wrong there. It definitely will, as minority groups tend to have higher rates of crime in the USA, and so have a higher chance of being prohibted from carrying common state issued ID's like drivers licenses or trade licenses. Of course, the standard issue regular "state ID" which just says one's name, DOB, and what state they're from in addition to personal characteristics can be obtained, but not many people have them or know about them to my knowledge.

But, that just highlights problems inherent to those respective minority groups, not these laws. Ultimately I agree that these laws are just a distraction from the real problems.

When you look at who actually shows up to vote in the first place, it's clear that laws like this don't really result in much of the way of actual vote suppression: the people who end up being impacted by ID requirements are people who wouldn't have turned out to vote in any event.  Vote fraud and vote suppression are non-issues masquerading as significant.

June 10, 2012, 09:22:35 PM

In my experience these criminal people of which you speak do know about state issued ID cards. Criminals who aren't able to have driver's licenses are probably more likely to know about these IDs than an average productive person who has his life together.  If you travel by plane, train and sometimes bus, you have to show a valid ID. Employers often want to see your ID when you are hired. Unless you have a bank account and direct deposit, you'll need an ID to cash your paycheck. These street people get stopped by police often too, and are usually asked to show an ID. People who don't have driver's licenses will quickly become aware of the state ID.

I agree.

June 10, 2012, 09:27:41 PM

When you look at who actually shows up to vote in the first place, it's clear that laws like this don't really result in much of the way of actual vote suppression: the people who end up being impacted by ID requirements are people who wouldn't have turned out to vote in any event.  Vote fraud and vote suppression are non-issues masquerading as significant.

I agree that most people who don't have an ID are not going to vote anyway. This applies if irresponsibility or if contempt for the government is the cause. In any case, if a person values his right to vote , he should find it worthy of the $25 price of an ID.

June 10, 2012, 10:03:07 PM
They would not normally vote unless the liberal party needed voters, hence their outcry against requiring eligibility of voters. Also, the liberals had at one point, although I'm unsure if they still do, helped mentally retarded people register to vote as their right to do so as adults. Their leftist caregivers would instruct these handicapped people on who to vote for so some controversy came about over the issue.