Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Post-rock roots of metal

Post-rock roots of metal
January 05, 2007, 06:53:32 PM
I was talking with some homies about this and we all agreed that there was a group of rock bands who got sick of rock around 1967 and started making "post-rock," before that was even a term people used.

I'm talking about bands like the Doors, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Greenslade, Jade Warrior, Yes, MC5, Iggy Pop.

That's all part of metal, too, isn't it, but less the hard rock kind than the underground metal kind.

Re: Post-rock roots of metal
January 05, 2007, 07:37:12 PM
the Doors and King Crimson certainly had a lot to offer. the Doors especially as the one rock band that actually read Nietzsche. Wasn't Tony Iommi in Jethro Tull early on?

January 06, 2007, 01:33:31 AM
Someday people will make the connection that Black Sabbath's "dark side" lyrics were inspired by Bob Dylan songs like "Masters of War" and "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding).  

Not on this website though.  Bob Dylan is a sandle wearer as you call them.

January 06, 2007, 04:15:34 AM
I would've thought these were closer to progressive rock rather than post-rock, though post-rock doesn't really have a clear definition anyway.

I'll name Led Zeppelin, but I just know I'm going to get "OVERRATED" screamed at me.

January 07, 2007, 01:44:13 AM
hardly overrated, i think black sabbath have fame beyond there worth, led zeppelin are my replacement for sabbath, although black sabbath have historical importance beyond led zeppelin (towards metal) they are musically very bland and boring

January 07, 2007, 05:37:56 AM
hardly overrated, i think black sabbath have fame beyond there worth, led zeppelin are my replacement for sabbath, although black sabbath have historical importance beyond led zeppelin (towards metal) they are musically very bland and boring

As I've always thought, though simultaneously I think that was the point -- to make music that was monotonous and emotionally dead. I must confess I've never given them much more than a few glances, though. Led Zeppelin I've given much more attention to due to the complexity in their music (when compared to Sabbath, at least).

January 07, 2007, 07:52:38 PM
As I've always thought, though simultaneously I think that was the point -- to make music that was monotonous and emotionally dead.

A parallel with ildjarn?  People don't get that music either.

Free your spirit rise with the breeze
Now from darkness there springs light

Tony was only in Jethro Tull for a week or two.
powers which mankind refuses to condone or conceive
beware what curiosity and ignorance breed
for what is not believed
may turn out to be your destiny

January 07, 2007, 09:30:46 PM
Someday people will make the connection that Black Sabbath's "dark side" lyrics were inspired by Bob Dylan songs like "Masters of War" and "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding).

There were more credible voices than Dylan expressing similar sentiments.

Azazel

January 10, 2007, 02:48:26 AM
I was told by someone that Led Zeppelin ripped off whole blues riffs in their songs. What do you say ;D

January 10, 2007, 04:29:49 AM

There were more credible voices than Dylan expressing similar sentiments.

Not in 1962 and not in music when those songs were first performed and no one that wasn't a fan of Bob Dylan did it throughout the rest of 60s.

Jim Morrison himself took his whole act from Mr. Dylan, not that I enjoy when either artists acts.

January 10, 2007, 04:30:32 AM
I was told by someone that Led Zeppelin ripped off whole blues riffs in their songs. What do you say ;D

No one can rip off a style of music.  That's like saying anyone who plays metal is ripping of the metal genre because they are metal musicians.

Azazel

January 10, 2007, 05:04:22 AM

No one can rip off a style of music.  That's like saying anyone who plays metal is ripping of the metal genre because they are metal musicians.

A style no, but whole riffs?

January 10, 2007, 05:31:48 AM

A style no, but whole riffs?

Well there's the conflict right there.  Blues isn't about riffs.  It's about working within the penatonic scale.  While Led Zeppelin did take a lot from blues, I don't think many of their riffs were un-original, as far as being taken from other riffs.

And blues music has always been based on taking it and adding your own touch to it and passing it on.  Anyone who says that someone is stealing from blues, folk or country music, knows nothing of the craft.

January 10, 2007, 07:03:02 AM
those styles of music when they were created were not meant to be marketed and as such no one really owned a tune like people do today,
as buckets of rain said " taking it and adding your own touch to it and passing it on"

Azazel

January 10, 2007, 12:39:33 PM
Excellent replies, thank you