Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Post-rock roots of metal

Re: Post-rock roots of metal
January 10, 2007, 09:41:16 AM
those styles of music when they were created were not meant to be marketed and as such no one really owned a tune like people do today,
as buckets of rain said " taking it and adding your own touch to it and passing it on"

Right.  It was music that had nothing to do with commerce.  Such a thing can't barely thrive now.

January 10, 2007, 02:27:58 PM
Not in 1962 and not in music when those songs were first performed and no one that wasn't a fan of Bob Dylan did it throughout the rest of 60s.

You're full of shit. Dylan stole his entire act from country musicians, some of whom had been performing since the 1930s. Stop repeating here what you read in Rolling Stone.

January 10, 2007, 02:28:40 PM
those styles of music when they were created were not meant to be marketed and as such no one really owned a tune like people do today,
as buckets of rain said " taking it and adding your own touch to it and passing it on"

But we don't know those styles, only what was recorded as a commercial product.

January 10, 2007, 03:10:18 PM
not entirely true, there are some folk songs that exist that no one owns and are ages old that still get sung today

http://www.contemplator.com/folk.html

January 10, 2007, 06:56:03 PM

You're full of shit. Dylan stole his entire act from country musicians, some of whom had been performing since the 1930s. Stop repeating here what you read in Rolling Stone.

For the 90th time I told you I don't read that magazine.  You apparently can't read anything.  You seem to just argue with whatever I say and never read any actual responses.

Yes, the first 4 years of his career, the music was based on music that had been around for many years.  That doesn't mean he stole it.  And the message he sang about had nothing to do with the music anyway.  Substance over form.

And as you claim I take everything in Rolling Stone to be truth, even though I never read it, I believe that you take everything Prozak writes to be truth as you quote from his history page everytime you are trying to prove a point.  Please don't start up with me about re-writing history as if you have such a strong hold on it yourself.  Argue with me again when you actually read the arguments that you are responding to.

January 12, 2007, 02:49:36 PM
Yes, the first 4 years of his career, the music was based on music that had been around for many years.

Then it makes little sense to claim him as a root influence if there were more abundant other sources.

January 12, 2007, 02:53:01 PM

Then it makes little sense to claim him as a root influence if there were more abundant other sources.

I only meant that his lyrics were a large inspiration on Sabbath.  I was not claiming them as a stepping stone in the Hard Rock music as the 70s.  Only a slight hint of the lyrical concept of the lyrics Geezer Butler wrote for the first three Sabbath albums.  It's only one of many.

January 16, 2007, 09:41:54 AM
They took things a lot further than Dylan did, and were more accurate. Still, I prefer my knowledge to come from authors of genius I respect. I'm more Eliot than Butler and Dyland, you know?