Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Proud to be an American

Proud to be an American
June 12, 2012, 09:59:07 PM
I know I said I was leaving but I haven't said my last word yet. I wanted to make a thread on this subject for a long time, but put it off because I couldn't find the exact right way to put it, but fuck it, this needs to be said. It might be a little sloppy because of that but hopefully the point will get across.

I've noticed a disturbing trend of smart American kids identifying more with their long severed Euro ancestry (Often German but also Italians, English, Poles etc) despite usually heavy admixture with other European tribes aside from the one they identify with. I'm guessing this comes out of the bullshit assumption that America is somehow "less cultured" than Europeans. They also often have plans to move to somewhere in Europe, usually the place of their most substantial ancestry, under the assumption the people there are more traditional. That's a stupid assumption because it's pretty much the same situation there with traditionalists, big cities generally have liberal non-culture and the rural areas hold the true culture of the nation. Also, for a substantial period of time, Americans were often considered more conservative (probably a happy side effect of our religious roots) but I digress.

I'm going to say something I would think is obvious, but American cultures are still in genesis, some have made more progress than others, such as for example Texas, Argentina, and Quebec which are fairly solid ethnic groups. Some areas like the mid-western US don't have much of a culture to speak of yet, and many are in between having something of a culture but not a very concrete ethnic group yet (The Southwestern US, Cascadia, Alaska etc.)

Our ancestors came to these continents expecting to build new nations, if you want to turn your back on all your ancestors hard work then go ahead retreat back to the old world but I think that's an anti-traditionalist and cowardly way of looking at things. It's about time traditionalists in the US, and elsewhere in the Americas for that matter, to start being proud of their land, quit being nostalgic for the old world and begin building beautiful new cultures. We have the unique opportunity to shape and form what will be the basis of American culture for thousands of years.

And before some smug euro or self hating american pussy starts calling Americans mongrels or what not, every European nation that exists now is made up of a mix of previously existing European tribes, dumbass.

Re: Proud to be an American
June 12, 2012, 11:31:23 PM
And before some smug euro or self hating american pussy starts calling Americans mongrels or what not, every European nation that exists now is made up of a mix of previously existing European tribes, dumbass.

And all those tribes originally came from Africa!!!1

June 13, 2012, 01:37:36 AM
That's a wise note to part company on. In essence, assertiveness is superior to withdrawal, retreat, or surrender, any of which are pathetic passive reactions. Cultures and their transformation thereof are inevitable and for the foreseeable future, permanent. Those cultures of North America are no exception.

End of history in the form of a final liberal democratic world order on the other hand is the secularized equivalent of Jesus returning when you read up to the last portion of Revelations. Progressivism is by and large Messianic hokum that sways the great democratic mass of ill informed, unobservant dullards, our equals.

June 13, 2012, 01:57:38 AM
This phenomenon could have a lot to do with the fact that America is becoming more and more cosmopolitan. What you are seeing may be a negative reaction to this shift, of which Obama is so emblematic.

For myself I identify as ethnically German. I am the first born here in the country so the line is relatively fresh. Having not grown up in the fatherland, I could never consider myself a member of it. I am up for inheriting some land after it has passed down to my father from his uncle and then to myself so it is possible that I may be destined to head over that way.

I am an American at heart and in spirit.

June 13, 2012, 02:42:07 PM
And it all ends with the last statement: "We have the unique opportunity to shape and form what will be the basis of American culture for thousands of years."

Even while purporting to birth something new, i.e. cultural identity, Amerikans simply cannot get beyond being "Amerikans."

NHA

June 13, 2012, 04:33:47 PM
I've noticed a disturbing trend of smart American kids identifying more with their long severed Euro ancestry (Often German but also Italians, English, Poles etc) despite usually heavy admixture with other European tribes aside from the one they identify with. I'm guessing this comes out of the bullshit assumption that America is somehow "less cultured" than Europeans.

Not surprising considering how America has increasingly less to offer in terms of qualify of life and a culture that's based on minority resentment against them.

Signs of paradox: irony, resentment, and other mimetic structures -
Eric Lawrence Gans
---------------------------------------------

"Today minority resentment is no longer merely the underlying source
of american pop culture; it has become its principal theme... This
suggests a model of postmodern culture in which the status of a
persecuted minority has become the sole source of cultural
legitimacy."

"The postmodern era is a turning point in cultural evolution. The
worldwide triumph of american popular culture based on the double
minority configuration suggests that culture is produced by and for
victims; victimage is the prior guarantee of its appeal to the general
population."

"Unlike postmodern high culture, which operates in an ironic,
citational mode, mass culture cannot function without figures on which
desire and resentment can focus"

They also often have plans to move to somewhere in Europe, usually the place of their most substantial ancestry, under the assumption the people there are more traditional.
Is that your assumption or theirs? I think its safe to say most of the population has no clue what Traditionalism is or who Evola is and that the ones who do are mostly stupid cheerleaders. Evola has the same problem as Nietzsche regarding his fan base.

Also, for a substantial period of time, Americans were often considered more conservative (probably a happy side effect of our religious roots) but I digress.
You can still see the puritan roots in large parts of the legal system. Sexuality in America has this weird dynamic with complete polar opposites being superimposed.

Our ancestors came to these continents expecting to build new nations...
Or they thought: "Fuck it! This place sucks i'm going somewhere else". Its a mixed bag of criminals, outcasts, hustlers and adventurers.

We have the unique opportunity to shape and form what will be the basis of American culture for thousands of years.
Nevermind the fact that we can't even shape Metal culture into a halfway decent place.

June 14, 2012, 04:47:10 AM
America is more like a place that started out doing great things and was home to some great people who achieved much, then just started plummeting downwards with little relief from the descent.

I'd be more proud of America if we actually had anything in the modern time to be proud of, and not just rely on the legacy of great men/women to bolster our collective confidence (seriously, if I have to hear some ignorant shithead overpraise George Washington's legacy without even realizing half of what the guy did, I'm going to explode).

This country needs to die so it can live again.

June 16, 2012, 11:55:19 PM
We should be romanticizing both America and Europe.  I believe the winning strategy at this point in history is a “stay put and defend your backyard” strategy.  The losing strategy is to be scattered and “roaming around” to find your home.  In this sense I agree with an attempt to romanticize what we can about America, especially if you were born in America.  America is your home.  But at the same time connecting to your European past and keeping that in mind is integral, I believe.  I believe it’s important for Americans to have a “European Awakening.”  If that means a journey into radical "Europeanism" for several years, so be it.   I could almost say of myself that, metaphorically speaking, my “intellectual journey” began in America, traveled back to Europe and returned to America.  It actually helped me re-romanticize America.  I think it's up to Americans to integrate their European past into their collective psyche.

I have also had the thought that American culture could be in more of a “genesis” stage than we might typically think.  So an interesting alternative to romanticizing America in general is to romanticize on more regional or local levels.  But there’s a European “background” to this whole dynamic.  An interesting idiosyncrasy where I live is a large population of German Catholics for instance.  There are several towns around where I live that still specifically play up the fact that they are Norwegian or Swiss for example.  If you really want to know a region, it’s inevitable that you’ll have to know about its European essence.

I also have to mention my 2 favorite populations:  the Cajuns in the deep bayous down south who hunt alligators all day and the Norwegian contingent that kick started the fishing industry in the Northwest and crab fishing in Alaska.  Romanticizing these rugged lifestyles is a healthy idea for our culture.  They are both also tied inextricably to the region and the physical terrain in which they exist.  If I were to imagine a Cascadian culture, surely there would be a romanticizing of fishing, fisherman, boats, and monuments erected to the Crab Gods and the Salmon Gods.

Ultimately I like the idea of romanticizing America by way of romanticizing more specific regions.  Fuck it, I am proud to be an American and I am especially proud to be from the state that I’m from.  I’m also proud of my European blood.  I think this is the attitude an American should have.

June 19, 2012, 03:40:16 AM
Quote from: Dinaric Leather
I've noticed a disturbing trend of smart American kids identifying more with their long severed Euro ancestry (Often German but also Italians, English, Poles etc) despite usually heavy admixture with other European tribes aside from the one they identify with. I'm guessing this comes out of the bullshit assumption that America is somehow "less cultured" than Europeans. They also often have plans to move to somewhere in Europe, usually the place of their most substantial ancestry, under the assumption the people there are more traditional. That's a stupid assumption because it's pretty much the same situation there with traditionalists, big cities generally have liberal non-culture and the rural areas hold the true culture of the nation. Also, for a substantial period of time, Americans were often considered more conservative (probably a happy side effect of our religious roots) but I digress.

A lot of these people are exposed to ideas of cultural and ethnic pride through the education system.  Through being educated into believing that a "white" identity is not good, they have started to develop an interest in their ethnic origins.  The White American identity is also stronger in areas of the country where mixture is common and the barriers between people were not as strong as in the Northeast, for example.  They are also less likely to have immigrant ancestors after a certain period of time because of the amount of time it would take to take part in an exodus from New York, Pennsylvania, etc. for the Midwest, American South, or the Mountains region.  Ultimately, we will develop into a few distinct nations: a White, a Black, and a Hispanic as inter-ethnic boundaries erode.  The Black nationality already exists, the White one is in the process of formation, and the Hispanic one may be formed.

Having been to Europe, they live the same global lifestyle in most of the cities and claiming to be anti-globalist or anti-American, live the same lifestyle as most urban dwellers on Earth.  It is not just curious custom and language which forge a nation, but values, ways of life, and a connection to a living tradition.

I'm going to say something I would think is obvious, but American cultures are still in genesis, some have made more progress than others, such as for example Texas, Argentina, and Quebec which are fairly solid ethnic groups. Some areas like the mid-western US don't have much of a culture to speak of yet, and many are in between having something of a culture but not a very concrete ethnic group yet (The Southwestern US, Cascadia, Alaska etc.)

I am in agreement, but also believe that the process of heavy immigration and of an increase in consumerism during the later half of the 20th century disrupted the process of a national culture--and local cultures--being formed.

It is easy to pine for a land far away.  Working and fighting in one's homeland is a task hard for many people.  It takes will, determination, and contempt of death.  Europeans will learn this as well as the lower-class detritus of the Middle East continue to proliferate.  We have the brain drain, you (Europe) are the sewer drain.

Quote from: NHA
You can still see the puritan roots in large parts of the legal system. Sexuality in America has this weird dynamic with complete polar opposites being superimposed.

The outcome of the Sexual Revolution not being able to completely unseat Puritanism.  This dynamic, however, is part of who we are and should be channeled into our identity.  It should be used to develop a pragmatic, if conservative, view of sexuality and a strong family.

Or they thought: "Fuck it! This place sucks i'm going somewhere else". Its a mixed bag of criminals, outcasts, hustlers and adventurers.

Again, this is too simplistic.  Many of the people who immigrated in the first place were freemen, nobles without an inheritance, venture capitalists, merchants, and so on.  The criminals, hustlers, and adventurers would follow in due course, but these people are part of every society and at least one group is useful (adventurers).

Nevermind the fact that we can't even shape Metal culture into a halfway decent place.

Development takes time, will, patronage, and an appeal to crafting art against the masses craving the next Wolverine Blues.