Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The cyclical nature of time

The cyclical nature of time
June 26, 2012, 09:45:16 PM
I'm not well versed in lots of specifics, but broadly speaking we can look to different mythologies and see a recurring theme of time as cyclical and this idea of different ages - Bronze Age, Silver Age, Gold Age, the Yugas of Hindu philosophy, Oswald Spengler, etc.  I think Evola uses this as well.  I think I take exception with certain aspects of strict Traditionalism when, in roundabout ways, they basically indict entire eras, including their geniuses.  It gets ridiculous when Beethoven or Romantic music in general is written off as basically too boisterous or fiery, not even-tempered enough.  I've seen this line of thinking floated in various places in the "Orthosphere."  The whole idea is that a mad-era produces Beethoven, a musical mad-man.  Of course people are products of their eras to a large extent and aberrant eras produce aberrant geniuses, but I think this is too reductive and there are other things at play. 

First of all, if there are such things as "time cycles," then it must be a number of cycles running at once.  Big cycles, small cycles, cycles within cycles, and cycles running concurrently.  Perhaps one could say individual Western countries run on their own cycle, but at the same time, there is a larger cycle in motion for the entire West, in general.  Furthermore, you can't completely fault the "linear view."  When we think of teaching young people, or transmitting culture to the next era we do it with the idea that we are actively shaping the future and that our work will be carried on, as we carried on our ancestors work.  We can also talk about the realms of genius.  If you chart how artistic or scientific "progress" is made throughout large swaths of time, you can understand how there are aspects of linearity still at play when one talks about time.  There must be aspects of time that are cyclical and other aspects that are linear. 

Furthermore, can we talk about aspects of existence that are impervious to time?  I like the idea of a mission, that can't exactly be put into words, that has been transmitted throughout the ages although expressed differently by the rare geniuses and wise leaders throughout history.  This mission is our Destiny, and the era we live in is our Fate.

Musings from my ANUS.

Re: The cyclical nature of time
July 07, 2012, 12:19:27 AM
In Dante's Comedy, he summons the muses at each book and calls forth the old gods, Apollo in Paradiso. His Christianity is a meld of the old. He clearly holds the old Romans and other great societies of the past in high regard. Virgil is barred from Paradise though he alone leads Dante to it.

Re: The cyclical nature of time
July 07, 2012, 01:46:40 PM
I also meant to mention the Isaac Newton quote about "standing on the shoulders of giants."  This implies a sense of carrying on the work of the past rather than starting all over again.  Genius is not simply a product of its era, it is also a product and continuation of genius of the past.  With this in mind, I think it's an overreaction to write off entire eras.