Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Is metal timeless?

Is metal timeless?
January 09, 2007, 12:55:00 PM
Black Sabbath were part of this movement in bands like later Beatles, the Doors, Jethro Tull, Jade Warrior and King Crimson who were not "pop" in that they were art rock, and heavy art rock, being the children after the generation of literature which chronicled the death of the west. So they were in many ways a response to the rock of the time, and to the culture of the time.

But is that all that metal had to say? Maybe it was just those thirty years, 1969-1999, where it had something to say, and after that, there's no point because the decay has gone on so long that no one is left to care. Or maybe it just does not have the timeless aspect and only fit into that time. Either way, it's possible it's simply obsolete.

Re: Is metal timeless?
January 09, 2007, 01:53:24 PM
im not sure how well metal will be remembered in one hundred years time, it could still retain a small following and remain and art form

but it would be more likely that people don't remember any of the artistic measure of the genre and only remember the larger artists, as such it would eventual be faded out until it no longer exists

January 09, 2007, 06:15:42 PM
Of course some metal will be timeless, those that had textual integrity. Im sure Burzums philosophy will be still relevant in 100 years because society is evolutionary and will continue to be so until it collapses under its own weight. The only reason i see metal becoming utterly extinct is that society does fall in on itself, like the PONZI scheme and we are left without technology to source metal.

January 09, 2007, 08:32:53 PM
I don't know how it will fair hundreds of years from now, but a lot of Black Sabbath's material has survived the test of time so far.  

I find Burzum's third album to be timeless, and see it as more of a syphony made of achieving ambience through ugliness rather than constant melodies and chords.  I think it would be just as meaningful in the future no matter how far the form goes out of existance.

January 09, 2007, 11:07:18 PM
but a meaningful work wont always be remembered, the church during Bach's time through out all the work of their hired composer when he died and nothing was left, the only reason we have any of his music now is because some of his relatives (who were also composers) saved as much as they could

So i don't see it as impossible for burzum to be forgotten completely, but hopefully his musically exploits will be remembered

January 10, 2007, 03:59:52 AM
In my view i think that if society dous fall in on itself then the metal gates that keep us locked in the realms of obscurity will be smashed and metal will be unleashed upon the world like we have never seen before ;D
Yes metal is timeless i dont think its reached its pinacle yet.
Ok some bands have had their day but there will always be someone waiting in the wings to pick up the metal batton and run with it ;)

January 10, 2007, 05:27:45 AM
 Metal is almost obsolete now because of the constant saturation of half ass shitty trend bands. The genre is almost dry of all originality.

I'd have to say that it's the artists who will remain timeless. Slayer and such.

January 10, 2007, 07:33:40 AM
Well, for the bulk of the human race bands like Burzum simply don't exist, cos they are relativerly obscure. When i thought of timeless songs, i did think of Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, but also Bathory's blood fire death, (the title track in particular) sprung to mind. The last track on the album has timeless quality to it. But then i thought, because relativerly few people have heard it will just dissapear, whether it sounds timeless or not.

But if everyone on this forum were to spread metal to other people it could be passed down. I think the fact that black sabbath has survived this long is something. I mean, i was only just born extreme metal was hitting it's peek in the late 80s, and i found out about it, it could travel through word of mouth or through the internet.

January 10, 2007, 09:47:05 AM
As long as there is horror in life, there is a place for metal.  The problem is people are dulling the parts of their conciousness that pay attention to the bad stuff.  So humanity is turning into effeminate macaca.  There's nobody left to revel in insanity, which you have to face to fight (which is what metal is about).

January 10, 2007, 01:18:50 PM
negativity has existed with and without metal, just because its ideals live on does not mean the music will

January 10, 2007, 05:07:25 PM
Any form which expresses eternal truth is necessarily, metaphysically speaking, actually a means for expression by that truth. If we say then that metal is a historical reality, and understand it as being a vector of that which IS timeless, then it follows naturally that it has transformed itself to the level of symbol--in the Jungian or Traditional sense--that is to say, not merely a sign pointing to something else, but a portal by which what is eternal is manifested.

STS

January 10, 2007, 08:12:18 PM
Any form which expresses eternal truth is necessarily, metaphysically speaking, actually a means for expression by that truth. If we say then that metal is a historical reality, and understand it as being a vector of that which IS timeless, then it follows naturally that it has transformed itself to the level of symbol--in the Jungian or Traditional sense--that is to say, not merely a sign pointing to something else, but a portal by which what is eternal is manifested.

Very good response!  :)

January 12, 2007, 08:10:50 AM
Im going to say yes, though perhaps not in the form we would like.

It has become rather obvious that the purveyors of media have honed their ability to resurect trends at precisely the correct time as not to be remembered or to hold some nostalgic or ironic connotations.

childrengrinder-br

January 13, 2007, 12:16:35 PM
yes, 'cause it's will be a treasure in the future, and some people will pay a fortune for one cd from 80's... think, in 2100 the next generation will make a museum of metal, take note mother fucker.

January 13, 2007, 11:43:46 PM
If metal was played to someone living in an ideal society say, 10,000 years from now would it really have an impact on them? Metal expresses dissatisfaction with current state of society and I don't think you can say that metal would be relevant outside our societal context. This is what it means to be timeless.