Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Is metal timeless?

Re: Is metal timeless?
January 18, 2007, 06:36:31 PM
If you tell people that all that matters is their own personal comfort and material well-being and political freedom, that leaves a lot out, doesn't it?

These are things that are largely pursued in the private sphere - with political freedom one can choose not to participate in the corporate state and reject material comforts. Would you rather people have no choice - machines following the commands of the authorities? It's that choice which defines our existence.

Rule "by the people" presupposes an equal placement of value on the votes of each individual, from which one must logically deduce that the ability of all individuals to make decisions is thereby also valued equally. Such is a system of values, is it not?

Mayhem-to-carnage wasn't talking about procedural values.

January 19, 2007, 02:06:15 AM

These are things that are largely pursued in the private sphere - with political freedom one can choose not to participate in the corporate state and reject material comforts. Would you rather people have no choice - machines following the commands of the authorities? It's that choice which defines our existence.

but to choose to live apart from this world does nothing apart from making my life more difficult, i cannot get large amounts of people on the scale to have any impact on the current way we lived our lives or destruction of the planet, the only way to achieve such a means is to either wait for this societies collapse or to be a catalyst and speed up the process, if you only ask there will be no change and if i choose to live apart from society the world dies at the exact same rate, doing this just makes you a martyr that no one ever herd of

January 21, 2007, 08:43:59 PM
Don't worry mayhem-to-carnage dude.  One day, that super volcano at Yellowstone national park, USA will go off and when it does, AND if the main caldera blows, we are ALL DEAD!!  That will be the best day of human existance.  The day that human beings are wiped FROM existance.  I can't wait!!!!!  Whoo hoo!!!!

Um, timeless?  That's abit, funny.  It definitely had a beginning. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................................................................clue goo.
~`~`~ Hipster Removed by DiZZy Hacker Corps ~`~`~

January 22, 2007, 09:58:14 AM

But if everyone on this forum were to spread metal to other people it could be passed down.

I was seperated from my daughter for 17 years.

when we met again she was a chip off the old block, totaly into metal, Black, death ect so there you go it's in the genes as well 8)

January 30, 2007, 07:38:08 PM
Metal seems to me a very cyclic genre. Much of what metal can offer has been protrayed through its most original works already, and when many bands realize this they attempt to take their music back in time and build off what many of the proginators of the genre tried to accomplish. A prime example is Ishan's latest solo effort; this exploit is a definate attempt to recreate and maybe even build off of what his infulences tried to do. It seems as though at the point we are at the only orignality that can be found in metal would be if we started over. Great proof that metal isnt getting any more creative is the countless arrays of teen drivin bands attempting to patch together random genres (grind, death metal, hip-hop, hardcore etc) to "expirament" with what two complete polar opposites can make, because they belive this to be the new original sound; an incoherant collage of music that cannot and will not compliment each other. I believe that in the hearts of metal heads many band/songs/albums are timeless like as stated before "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" but these will remain in the time they were made because of the significance it had during that era. Now dont get me wrong im hopeful that metal will continue to press on and possibly new creative bands will emerge and spark a new torrent of originality but i believe them to be to far and in between for metal to remain timeless.

February 03, 2007, 02:10:48 AM
Don't worry mayhem-to-carnage dude.  One day, that super volcano at Yellowstone national park, USA will go off and when it does, AND if the main caldera blows, we are ALL DEAD!!  That will be the best day of human existance.  The day that human beings are wiped FROM existance.  I can't wait!!!!!  Whoo hoo!!!!

Um, timeless?  That's abit, funny.  It definitely had a beginning. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................................................................clue goo.

Its most likely one day humans will not exisit but im sure metal will always be around before that time arrives.I hope millons more people after our time experience the great art we have now.I read on an earlier post about the main bands still being around which i think would be a true fact, all the primo bands that didnt get enough limelite so to speak, due to the more famous bands choking them out of exisitence..
metal mad nz

ozz

February 05, 2007, 01:36:46 AM
Sacramentum is one of the very few metal bands I consider priceless and above any criticism.  Their lyrics only make their music even more timeless, as they're fucking phenomenal.  
a fucking guitar wizard

February 06, 2007, 08:22:40 PM
Now dont get me wrong im hopeful that metal will continue to press on and possibly new creative bands will emerge and spark a new torrent of originality but i believe them to be to far and in between for metal to remain timeless.

We need fewer crap bands, that's for sure, because their material is very far from timeless.

There's always a few great artists, and a few that should be local bands, and then a bunch who need to quit and go do something else.

February 09, 2007, 05:35:37 AM
indeed! i also believe that bands from the good old days warned us of our impending doom as a society which creates somewhat of a benchmark that some may consider timeless. I'm hoping that from this coming collapse new bands will emerge and rather than warn us of the problem present to our society, propose solutions (not equality and all that bullshit, because thats the problem, but a more cultural, epic, adventurous and dare i say nihilist world that releases us from this virus we so comfortably spiral downwards into) i think with this message metal could set a new benchmark and down the road people will view this and realize the impact it had and therefore become somewhat timeless. Though this is quite a feat for an underground style of music/art to undertake, considering that not too many people can learn to appreciate metal.

February 09, 2007, 08:35:55 AM
This is where metal's connections with the extreme right comes in, some tried to turn it into a political movement as well, regardless of the appreciaiton of the actual music. Nationalism is high on the agenda for many involved in metal. But this has always existed autonomously of metal and was around long before metal came into being. But throught the assertion of such thigns as nihilism and nationalism true metal may become timeless as a kind of sound track to changing times.
In a state of permanent Abyss

February 16, 2007, 08:33:42 PM
but nihilism and nationalism are completely opposed to each other

February 16, 2007, 08:58:06 PM
but nihilism and nationalism are completely opposed to each other

not necessarily. Nihilism according to the ANUS definition works well with white nationalism and returning to the old pagan ways which were much more aligned with nature and hence reality. Well that is my way of interrupting nihilisms connection with nationalism.

February 16, 2007, 09:27:07 PM
in metal i always thought that both the promotion of heroism and nihilism where to separate paths to the same goal, it doesn't matter that they contradict each other because all metal has the same goal just different means to accomplish it (but it does make it hard to talk generally about metal since half of it contradicts the other half)

one side wants to deconstruct all morals where the other wants to impose others over them but both want the same thing to come out of it

the "fascists" side of metal only reflects a small part of the romantic side of it, because there are other means to achieve the same goal while being romantic and non fascist (and the term fascists as i have used it can be changed with nationalist)

but the reason they do contradict each other is because nihilism is about seeing the world in a clear view unhindered by anything so you can make the healthiest choice but national pride and any sense of morals get in the way of that and as such a scorned by nihilists

February 18, 2007, 12:11:35 PM
The nihilist, in the anus sense the term, only rejects all modern values, including, christian, islamic and jewish ideas as well. But ancient values such as national pride are embraced. A nihilist is not necasserily without value, only without modern value. It is not the same as nationalism, as much nationalism carries without an amount of racism and racial superiority. But it does have many similarities, such as a rejection of multiculturalism and national pride.

This is the more heroic side of metal culture, there is the other side, best illustrated by death metal, which is a total rejection of any meaning in life at all, which it can be argued has no grounds in nationalism at all, only nihilism.
In a state of permanent Abyss

February 21, 2007, 10:39:31 PM
i do not believe metal is timeless.  after this generation dies off, metal will be completely gone, at least like we know it now. it might grow into something new. probably that rap metal or metalcore stuff will survive for a while and it might die there, or it might develop into somethign completely new once again. metal is too good to last. everyone should know that people only listen to crap and even the mainstream stuff doesn't last. sort of liek disco. it was big in the 70s. peopel from the 70s still listen to it. once they die, disco will pretty much die. i see that in metal's future.