Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Das Perfekte Album

Re: Das Perfekte Album
July 05, 2012, 09:51:44 PM
My popularity comment was directed towards the DLA mostly. I appreciate the objectivity humanicide.

July 06, 2012, 04:30:44 AM
I like Inquisition. Their last album was pretty damn good. The first one is worth a mention as well. All the stuff in between... meh. Decent. The band has never been A-grade, but never made anything shitty either.

July 08, 2012, 12:53:46 PM
A friend once said to me: "I don't think ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? ever had a style, they just wanted to play."

I always knew there was something of value in that statement. Inquisition is much like Burzum rather than ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?, in that Burzum is one of the best examples in metal of completely lacking a "style" or condensing your career into a predictable format. Inquisition plays out very much the same way. This is something I love about them in that they're diverse and there's variety in the music. Definitely one of the, if not the best concurrent act playing today.

I hope www.deathmetal.org will endorse them.

July 09, 2012, 02:10:07 PM
A friend once said to me: "I don't think ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? ever had a style, they just wanted to play."

I always knew there was something of value in that statement. Inquisition is much like Burzum rather than ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?, in that Burzum is one of the best examples in metal of completely lacking a "style" or condensing your career into a predictable format. Inquisition plays out very much the same way. This is something I love about them in that they're diverse and there's variety in the music. Definitely one of the, if not the best concurrent act playing today.

I don`t understand exactly what you and your friend mean by this "style". I find that most rock music, including metal and its derivatives has a certain "style", or another. Metal bands usually adopt a certain style and deviations from that style will mostly end in a failure.

July 15, 2012, 03:51:22 AM

I don`t understand exactly what you and your friend mean by this "style". I find that most rock music, including metal and its derivatives has a certain "style", or another. Metal bands usually adopt a certain style and deviations from that style will mostly end in a failure.

I think: the following...

... and I could be wrong; I wouldn't contest it if I was...

What I mean is that until the newer Burzum albums, you could listen to the catalog from S/T to Hlidskjalf with *almost* no two songs sounding alike. Each track takes on it's own identity in most cases. I can't listen to a band and say "That sounds like Burzum" but rather, "Oh that sounds like _________ Burzum song," which is why I've noticed a lot of people accusing others of stealing Burzum riffs or writing riffs that are too derivative of Burzum. Since each song is so different, I think fans have become really attached to the identity of each track. Inquisition carries their writing style in the same manner.

July 15, 2012, 12:24:31 PM
I consider style to be an aesthetic and to some degree a compositional distinction.

I wouldn`t consider rehashing riffs and beats for example as so much a stylistic distinction as a structural one.

July 15, 2012, 02:30:01 PM
Morbid Angel's first three along with the live album for sure.  After that the lineup and attitude of the band basically changed so the rest of it doesn't count in my book (I enjoy F but it was just Trey having fun and living off the advice of motivational speakers, which shows).

Burzum made it work for three albums, and so did Darkthrone., Vader, Bolthower, Immolation, Black Sabbath, Summoning, Metallica.  Three or four seems to be about the limit for a band whose style has so many riffs in a brief period and lives so fast, although Summoning and maybe Graveland strikes me as an exception in that regard since they don't tour and never got involved in criminal behavior.

Plus the shitty deals these guys were given for writing music that almost never turned into a living makes it hard to believe there's as much quality material as there is, especially given how volatile the labels were.  They usually have to support themselves with other jobs, after all. 

November 03, 2012, 11:42:11 PM
Plus the shitty deals these guys were given for writing music that almost never turned into a living makes it hard to believe there's as much quality material as there is, especially given how volatile the labels were.  They usually have to support themselves with other jobs, after all.

It seems that the quality of the music is a result of the bands themselves wanting to make great music and being willing to support their love of music with a day job.  They want to make music, not 'be a musician.'  Looking at many classical composers they too had to support their composition with shitty jobs teaching pupils and such.  Graveland's 20 year existence is pretty amazing in this light as I doubt gaspodin Darken makes enough money on his musical output to live; selling a few thousand (I presume) records a year does not a musical career make.  Maybe the shitty deals these guys were given helped keep the legions of shitflingers at bay and allowed the talented to stand out above a herd that had been substantially thinned by market forces... at least until all of the hard work of the truly talented originators payed off and allowed the legions of shitflingers to get good deals playing mediocre knockoffs.