Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Dead Can Dance "Anastasis"

Dead Can Dance "Anastasis"
June 28, 2012, 11:41:21 PM
Currently listening to this for the first time, and it sounds like a true return to form for the band. Brings back the ancient classical European feel that for me has been lost since Aion. Possibly one of the better albums of the decade so far.

Re: Dead Can Dance "Anastasis"
June 29, 2012, 10:07:46 PM
I've already spun this album quite a bit. On one hand, I feel like spinning it repeatedly and think it's an ambitious effort with the spirit of old DCD. The Lisa Gerrard tracks really stand out. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I think the aesthetic feels more streamlined and hook-driven/populist at times(ie. Children of the Sun feeling almost like a Broadway tune at times, bouncy beat in Agape). But then, it does seem a genuine return to form and given what it is, I think it's rather good (that being a modern comeback album from a classic band). Thinking back to the DCD classics, it has always been hook-driven in a sense and the modern approach is executed rather well. I suppose time will tell if this album will be as lasting as the early ones. Either way, I look forward to seeing them live in less then 2 months time when they come here.

Also curious to see what Conservationist thinks of it.

June 30, 2012, 02:19:08 AM
,,,I think the aesthetic feels more streamlined and hook-driven/populist at times(ie. Children of the Sun feeling almost like a Broadway tune at times, bouncy beat in Agape).
I agree with this. Even so, it's a good album, although it has definitely weak moments. Better than Spiritchaser, and maybe Into the Labyrinth.

June 30, 2012, 03:51:14 PM
,,,I think the aesthetic feels more streamlined and hook-driven/populist at times(ie. Children of the Sun feeling almost like a Broadway tune at times, bouncy beat in Agape).
I agree with this. Even so, it's a good album, although it has definitely weak moments. Better than Spiritchaser, and maybe Into the Labyrinth.

It does have weak moments and I find myself thinking that it could have been more structurally ambitious, both micro/macro-wise. But, it also seems to redeem itself in the course of a song. Just when you think Children of the Sun isn't going anywhere, it develops into this sort of Jim Morrison-meets-Frank-Sinatra-Jr. type interlude that seems to channel The End off The Doors' first album. Agape too excels particularly for the melodies it accentuates as it develops. I threw Within the Realm of a Dying Sun on for comparison and it got me thinking that if DCD were in their prime at this point in time, that it would most likely sound similar to what Anastasis is aesthetically.

In addition, I should mention that Kiko (besides the noodling in the end) and Return of the She-King in particular are quite strong.

July 13, 2012, 04:43:36 PM
Who would have guessed they would ever have made such a return to form as this? I've listened to it twice now and very promising so far, though I would agree on there being a few weaknesses as mentioned. The sections with Lisa Gerrard singing are a definite highlight.