Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Nihilism and Atheism DO NOT EXIST

Nihilism and Atheism DO NOT EXIST
July 11, 2012, 07:50:04 PM
This is by no means a defense of religion, not even an attack on atheism: It's an attack on a particular kind of atheism/scientism.

I was thinking about this today, more like my whole life, and concluded what I long suspected: Post title.

My theory is that due to being raised in christian homes with literal interpretation of religion and other mumbo-jumbo, people later turn to atheism when they see all they were fed was wrong, and the world is a monstrous cesspool waiting to devour you. If they were raised with a different idea of god, not emphasizing emotion like many christians do today and showing the harsh realities of life, things would be different.  No personal, loving god protecting you all the time, no one gives a damn about your life, life as an adult is much harder, with horrors, etc... Ashamed, deranged, terrified and lonely, the atheist thinks that he must subvert all that he has been taught, and thus the following ideas come up:

-Nothing exists, it's just an illusion of DNA, or something like that.
-There is no mind, it's only an illusion of nature.
-Only physical matter exists, and all things that exist today evolved blindly due to chance in gazillions of years.
-It is absolutely certain that i am my brain and my body, all mind is contained in the brain, and there is nothing outside the living brain, so when people die... well, they say that "it's over", "nothingness", etc., but we all know they have no fucking clue what happens, nothigness does not exist in nature, among other problems.
-There is no objective truth

Those assumptions are so monstrous and unreasonable that any sane person would have nothing to do with them. In fact they don't. No one does. No one really believes the stuff listed above. You can belieeve me on that: I have tried to get into the paradigm of those ideas and only lunacy results. In fact, normal atheism is fine by me. The problem is I believe original atheism has been corrupted due to stupidity.

How can one honestly look at things and say there is NO FUCKING MIND, no feelings, etc.? How can one look at existence and have the courage to proclaim that there is nothing higher? And WHY the fuck would life emerge out of randomness, anyway, without intent?Do you really believe an infinite number of monkeys with typewriters would write a whole shakespeare book? NO, they would not!   It's so much shit that I must confess, I feel very lazy of trying to explain further.

If there is interest, I can explain more.

--

Re: Nihilism and Atheism DO NOT EXIST
July 11, 2012, 11:14:20 PM
You're just in awe of existence, my friend. Don't let that obscure reason.

Conversely I wonder why more atheists aren't nihilists. The lack of depth in atheists grates me.

July 12, 2012, 12:29:55 PM
Way to not address my points at all! Being in awe of existence implies a self.

It's worthy of note that the most famous band in metal calling itself Atheist turned to Mystical/Gaian themes in their second and third albums.

July 12, 2012, 01:31:00 PM
You're just in awe of existence, my friend. Don't let that obscure reason.

Conversely I wonder why more atheists aren't nihilists. The lack of depth in atheists grates me.

Because they are humanists. Also known as an attempt to.one up.Christians at their own morality.