Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Enslaved - Eld ...Some thoughts.

Enslaved - Eld ...Some thoughts.
January 10, 2007, 09:53:01 PM
Hello everyone, long time reader, registered a few weeks ago.

I would like some opinions on Enslaved's album Eld.  I thought it was a rather impressive effort, as good as say Vikinglr Veldi.  Yet, the review of the album on this site is so harsh (ex: "Eld" is grotesque carnival music..."Vikings" playing rock music).  

I know new Enslaved in particular is painful to listen to. But Eld, cmon?

Re: Enslaved - Eld ...Some thoughts.
January 10, 2007, 10:14:01 PM
i think opening track on eld is ok but i just think it doesn't hod up to their earlier releases, i wouldn't go so far as to say its bad but i would say its not good

January 12, 2007, 02:15:15 AM
All of the tracks apart from the first sound like they were written to a formula - here's the heavy part, here's the breakdown with clean vocals, here's the outro riff, etc. - and there's very little variation between the tracks compared with Vikinglir Veldi, Hordanes Land, and, to a lesser extent, Frost. It makes alright background music, but doesn't compare to their earlier efforts.

January 12, 2007, 02:48:03 PM
"Eld" is one of the reasons most people think metal sucks. It's comical. Big booming riffs and then Saturday morning cartoon keyboards, with some Viking hamming. This album totally sucks.

January 12, 2007, 04:39:00 PM
ok Born....although I totally disagree with you... what's your favorite Enslaved album?

Myrrdin

January 13, 2007, 02:59:36 AM
Yeah, disagree too.

Of all the bands from the Norwegian Wave Of Black Heathen Metal, Enslaved are perhaps THE most diligent touring band.

By "Eld", Enslaved were more aware of the need to write albums that could be played live by four or five people. Nice though it would be for a band to never repeat a single riff in their songs, it's a challenge in itself to remember them all when playing for 100 minutes without sheet music.

Also, the emphasis is far more toward the traditional drum/guitar end of things, experience no doubt taught them that sound engineers never mix the synths high enough. Strange that of all their albums it is Eld (the one that did away with the ad nauseum looped melodies) is the one singled out as "carnival music".

January 13, 2007, 07:43:41 AM
ok Born....although I totally disagree with you... what's your favorite Enslaved album?

Either of the first two releases will do nicely.

Wanting to play something via five people live is only important if the music is good. "Eld" is cheesy shit like Satyricon or Dark Funeral.

Face it, this band died after they became police informers and got boring and "respectable." Christianity comes in many forms.

January 13, 2007, 12:36:22 PM
Yeah, disagree too.

Of all the bands from the Norwegian Wave Of Black Heathen Metal, Enslaved are perhaps THE most diligent touring band.

By "Eld", Enslaved were more aware of the need to write albums that could be played live by four or five people. Nice though it would be for a band to never repeat a single riff in their songs, it's a challenge in itself to remember them all when playing for 100 minutes without sheet music.

Also, the emphasis is far more toward the traditional drum/guitar end of things, experience no doubt taught them that sound engineers never mix the synths high enough. Strange that of all their albums it is Eld (the one that did away with the ad nauseum looped melodies) is the one singled out as "carnival music".

classical performances come to mind here, it would have been a very big deal back between the 1700-1900 to see a classical piece performed

But composers never wrote music that would be easier to perform live, they always wrote music of there top ability

also the repeatable melody you speak of is a motive, the single most important music element in classical music

also with your regard to the impossibility to remember ever changing music i say your wrong, Beethoven would often get people to turn the pages while he played piano but most of those pages were blank or had a random scribble in the corner, and this pure narrative would be harder to remember then the riff like narrative present in metal  

Myrrdin

January 13, 2007, 01:43:10 PM
A motif (not "motive") in classical music is a developing theme/idea that a piece will return to to emphasise progression (think Mussorgsky).  Enslaved utilised their keyboards (especially on Yggdrasil/Vikingligr/Hordanes Land) in much the same way as a guitar - repeated riff patterns with little or no adaptation/progresssion (Slaget I skogen bortenfor.)

re: Orchestral music - I specifically mentioned sheet music for this example.

Nice story about Beethoven, though,  I have never heard that report anywhere before.

===
Face it, this band died after they became police informers and got boring and "respectable." Christianity comes in many forms.
===

This is a strange comment.  I hope your musical tastes are not influenced by media/internet gossip about people you may never have met.  The drama is of  less substance than the music.  Especially considering Enslaved have always had one foot in the fantasy realm (far closer to Emperor/Immortal than graveland) and I have seen nothing to suggest they were interested in anything but playing music.
Why would they risk prosecution if they were only loosely associated with real culprits?

When I listen to the Enslaved discography, up to Blodhemn has enjoyable moments, though this one does certainly tail off. Every album since has been a disappointment.  

However, I had the advantage of hearing Eld before reading about it on ANUS Recommends (tm).

;D

January 13, 2007, 02:57:10 PM
A motif (not "motive")

as opposed to common belief they are both separate meanings but the words are used interchangeable

a motive is what people think a motif is

a motif is a motive with a meaning behind it, the only reason i know this is because Bach is one of the few composers who uses both motifs as well as motives and my classical music teacher has a minor in just Bach

Bach had a set of three notes that resembled hope, so he would string huge amounts of his sequence of notes to create a feeling of hope

he also had the cross, which is done by drawing a line down the center of a certain sequence of notes (both long ways and through the length) and it creates a cross, those were examples of a motif, it literally means a motif with an ideology or concept behind that set of notes

A motive is as you described it, but it does note need to change much to be a motive, so the 1st five notes in Lifandi Liv Undir Hamri (enslaved, album Vikingligr Veldi) is the motive and the other half of the theme is just a varation on the motive but there is almost no development of that theme throughout the piece but it is still a theme (and as such a motive)

January 13, 2007, 08:23:23 PM
However, I had the advantage of hearing Eld before reading about it on ANUS Recommends (tm).

So did I, and I thought it sounded shit then too. ;)

Myrrdin

January 14, 2007, 02:15:44 AM
To clarify - "motive" is used in exactly the same way as "motif" by some people, it is not a more defining term at all.

I have only ever found the word "motive" used in this way from American sources though, suggesting to me that it is wrong. (Wrong in the way that English is not a recognised instructive language in classical music unlike, say French or Italian).

childrengrinder-br

January 14, 2007, 07:47:59 AM
ELD is a excellent album, i have it, and my favourite track is FORGOTTEN (Glemt).

January 14, 2007, 11:24:34 AM
To clarify - "motive" is used in exactly the same way as "motif" by some people, it is not a more defining term at all.

I have only ever found the word "motive" used in this way from American sources though, suggesting to me that it is wrong. (Wrong in the way that English is not a recognised instructive language in classical music unlike, say French or Italian).

heres the problem, im not American nor have i ever stepped foot within the continent (and my music teacher is also a New Zealander who got his minor in Bach in New Zealand), i live in New Zealand which is a British colony and as such is very similar to England

Also the use of motive and motif being used interchangeable is the problem hence why so few people are aware of the separate meanings

Myrrdin

January 14, 2007, 12:22:21 PM
Don't be daft, they describe the same thing.  I corrected your use of it because "motive" is an error, simply because the Anglicised version is not accepted as correct instructional language on manuscript. Pedantic perhaps, but modernising classical traditions is unnecesssary.

The separate definition you give for "motive" (a motif with a meaning), is perhaps leitmotif.  

Anyway, Enslaved...