Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

How forums work.

Re: How forums work.
April 11, 2014, 03:17:28 PM
Hahaha that's great!

April 11, 2014, 03:19:23 PM
For the record, that's Hannah Arendt, to dispel any confusion (if there was any- I can't write these sorts of things to save my life!)- the point still stands.
"The traveler with empty pockets will sing in the thief 's face." - Juvenal

"We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses." - Carl Jung

"Time spent with cats is never wasted." - Sigmund Freud

April 11, 2014, 03:26:57 PM
No matter who it is, that's great philosophy. If Heidegger wrote about nothing, still it inspired others to write about things they never would have written about, but for him.
Maybe they found him dull, but his dullness caused them not to be so dull, after all.
And somewhere, off in the distance, a crow became delighted, and a Vigilance had a good laugh.
And what is philosophy, if it doesn't do that?
Squawk!

April 11, 2014, 03:38:59 PM
No matter who it is, that's great philosophy. If Heidegger wrote about nothing, still it inspired others to write about things they never would have written about, but for him.
Maybe they found him dull, but his dullness caused them not to be so dull, after all.
And somewhere, off in the distance, a crow became delighted, and a Vigilance had a good laugh.
And what is philosophy, if it doesn't do that?

I've generally found that 'thorough' thinkers tend to spawn adherents in their youth who ultimately splinter and explode off of the progenitor. Same thing happened to Freud.

Too true regarding the value of philosophy.
"The traveler with empty pockets will sing in the thief 's face." - Juvenal

"We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses." - Carl Jung

"Time spent with cats is never wasted." - Sigmund Freud

April 11, 2014, 03:52:26 PM
See: this is how forums work.
We have a conversation, and maybe some fun, here and there. We get insights from apparently meaningless conversations, with apparently meaningless people, on all kinds of apparently meaningless topics.
Real life is all too much concerned with appearances. Some drag that into forums, too, and then forums don't work.
Squawk!

April 14, 2014, 01:36:01 PM
This is the only forum I ever post on. I like ANUS because it avoids most of the ego drama that other forums are rife with - we don't know/care about each others personal problems, jobs, ex girlfriends, past drug use, favorite beer, etc. People come here to discuss issues, not themselves. There is no "big cheese" who closes down discussions when they get too rude or "off topic"(as if asinine social posturing ever had a point to begin with).

People, don't waste your time on forums, comment threads, news sites, social media whatever. There's so much better you can do with your life. As George Carlin said: "At least when I get done masturbating, I'll have a little something to show for it"
-l-