Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Why is this place a lurker's haven?

Why is this place a lurker's haven?
July 28, 2012, 07:39:19 AM
There are always dozens of guests viewing this site at any given time. I'm sure there are the usual spam bots, but perhaps more enjoy reading this place than you see admitted elsewhere:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2010/11/05/do-u-remember-anus-com/
http://www.whygodwhy.org/t2702-anuscom
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090227190051AAhcd0z
http://www.zmemusic.com/feature/news/nihilism-is-stupid/
http://blog.writenothing.com/2008/01/09/freemuse-hate-music-music-with-a-heart-full-of-hatred/
http://www.opethforum.com/showthread.php?t=10915
http://summoning.yuku.com/topic/824#.UBOXmbSvKSo
http://blackmetal.co.uk/forums/4-general-stuff-discussions/471501-organizing-the-metal-scene-against-anus--corrupt.html

Seems like many hate this place, usually the most vocal ones are the irony worshiping morons, big surprise. What do they combat us with? Memes, ignorance, kneejerk RASCISM claims, and a self-congratulatory LOL.

Re: Why is this place a lurker's haven?
July 28, 2012, 05:14:16 PM
The community on this site closely follows the stereotype of slightly autistic male on the internet.  There is a general reticence with "small talk" among those sorts of people. to Unless something adds significantly to the conversation at hand, it is usually unsaid.

NHA

July 28, 2012, 06:15:08 PM
Lurkers usually make up the majority regardless of which site you're on.

Related: Social media from a marketer's viewpoint. http://www.slideshare.net/aslabinck/10-personas-to-help-you-understand-the-behaviour-and-motives-of-the-social-media-users

July 29, 2012, 06:10:09 AM
There are interesting conversations to read here, and some lurkers share similar views to you about civilization and metal. Some of us might be too ignorant to have anything worth contributing though, so we lurk. I just logged in to post this. I know a guy who reads all of the anus reviews, and lurks this forum. Several times he has asked me to post mediafire requests, because he doesn't want to register. I guess you are free to interpret his refusal however you like, but I have figured that it is because, although he thinks highly of the metal content, he strongly disagrees with some of the prevalent philosophy at this site.

July 29, 2012, 08:11:54 PM
Those comments are generally of the same ilk. They're outraged that someone would even consider metal as an art-form (because it's obviously loud music for angst-ridden meatheads who just want to drink beer and bang their heads). I don't think it's surprising that the majority of the detractors sound like they haven't been metal fans for too long (or have been into the hipster material from the get-go). Yet others who have been fans for some time still refuse to accept the ideas because (for whatever reason that I can't fathom), they don't want to see metal as an art-form with a cohesive ideology/spirit.

There are those who ascribe meaning where there is none (hipsters). Likewise, there are also those who ascribe no meaning to anything and as a result can only decry the notion that metal has anything valuable to contribute. Either way, these people are insensate to the nuances exhibited in quality material and most likely lack any purpose in their own lives.

July 30, 2012, 04:11:18 AM
This is all Dunning and Kruger effect. The incompetent are both unable to determine their own lack of competence and incapable of perceiving intangible value. To them, everyone is about the same and all things are objectively equal, distinguished only by individual preference. Their pitiful behaviour is a result of their ignorant solipsism: if I don't comprehend it then it is offensive and therefore I cannot allow it to exist so I will therefore rail against it until it goes away. Hairless baboonery!

July 30, 2012, 03:29:48 PM
Metal went hipster; the old ways faded. It's not coincidence that ANUS was more popular when metal was vital, 1988-1998ish.

July 30, 2012, 11:34:27 PM
Why do I suddenly see all these kids with '20s mustaches wearing Metallica's "Ride the Lightning" t-shirts. I just don't get it.
I don't know about you guys, but I love my under-120s. They're so cute and funny. Just yesterday one stole my GPS unit and another one took a dump in my yard. Ha ha, they're such cards.

August 01, 2012, 03:38:49 AM
This is all Dunning and Kruger effect. The incompetent are both unable to determine their own lack of competence and incapable of perceiving intangible value. To them, everyone is about the same and all things are objectively equal, distinguished only by individual preference. Their pitiful behaviour is a result of their ignorant solipsism: if I don't comprehend it then it is offensive and therefore I cannot allow it to exist so I will therefore rail against it until it goes away. Hairless baboonery!

Very well put...If I just might ask, who are/were Dunning and Kruger and what kind of reports did they write or contribute? I've never heard of them and I'm interested to do some more homework on the subject.
The mind is a product of the brain; the soul is a product of the choices that brain makes. Nothing is equal; in physics, they refer to a state of equality as "entropy."

August 01, 2012, 03:43:50 AM
Some may be curious - perhaps even genuinely interested but hesitant, some may be merely just "browsing" out of the bordem of their wasted, futile lives.

The mind is a product of the brain; the soul is a product of the choices that brain makes. Nothing is equal; in physics, they refer to a state of equality as "entropy."

November 07, 2012, 02:06:10 PM
Some may be curious - perhaps even genuinely interested but hesitant, some may be merely just "browsing" out of the bordem of their wasted, futile lives.

Being a lurker at this site, I can ascribe to both of these points, actually, but mostly it's about not wanting to confuse my personal issues with the societal issues discussed here. I don't have my shit straight neither financially, politically, academically nor socially and I'm going to go out on a limb and assert that some of you guys are dysfunctional in the same way, to varying degrees (or as Undermind put it, "being a slightly autistic male on the Internet").

On the other hand, the "normals" (this unfortunate term came up in some thread here, attempting to capture some sort of generic individual that doesn't really exist, but I think you get the point) around me are also dysfunctional but in other ways.

In conclusion, it doesn't make sense to discuss these bigger issues until I can honestly say that I'm a functional, contributing member of society, although with dissident views. But then again we have the Dunning-Kruger effect; is this approach of mine just coming from low self-esteem?

November 07, 2012, 04:24:15 PM
»the "normals" (this unfortunate term came up in some thread here, attempting to capture some sort of generic individual that doesn't really exist, but I think you get the point) around me are also dysfunctional but in other ways.«

"Normal" do not come with particular negative connotations, but means, that a person does not distinguish himself in a positive or negative way. Normalcy is a spectrum of attributes.

Ofcourse, they are sheep who together just run the way of the heard, and thus in need of a shepherd in order not to act stupid.

April 14, 2014, 05:46:22 AM
Recently, Twitter went public with 244 million monthly active users in the last quarter of 2013. However, Twopcharts, a social media tracking site, has claimed that 44 percent of Twitter’s accounts do not have a single tweet sent out from them, while 30 percent of existing accounts have only 1-10 tweets to their credit. Further, only 13 percent of registered Twitter accounts have more than a 100 tweets.

Twopchart’s report highlighted the Twitter’s user retention issue. The report estimated that around 542.1 million accounts have sent at least one tweet since they were created, which suggests that more than half of the accounts in existence have actively tried out the service. But just 23 percent of those accounts have sent out tweets in the past 30 days.

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/44-percent-of-overall-twitter-users-have-never-tweeted-221663.html

Instead of looking at the uh, problem, from a social standpoint, why not from a business perspective? Plenty of people come by to check the merchandise. One in five come back for more. The rest just want to window shop but not buy anything. In some manner it is much more of a hassle to bother with the goods than the benefit of having them. There's a technical or psychological impediment of some kind.

April 14, 2014, 01:23:15 PM

The other side of Dunning-Kruger explains a good deal of the lurkers as well as the critics.  Actual competence discourages them from contributing.  They either assume everyone has a similar understanding as they do, or they know enough to understand their own ignorance.

April 14, 2014, 01:26:42 PM
Because there's a lot of good information, and that's all many people need. Just jumping in with a bunch of "ME TOO!!!!!!111" nonsense would bury the good info and not really be in the spirit of the site.
-l-