Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Aidspell Omega Embrace Traditionalism?

Aidspell Omega Embrace Traditionalism?
August 03, 2012, 02:42:10 AM
I happened across the lyrics of the latest release from these Frenchmen. If I am understanding this correctly, I believe they seem to be taking a stance similar to the blooming Right movements.

One may argue that it was flawed
since the beginning
that the dice were loaded
that God had it all within
that He is the Source.
O heavenly Father!
pathogenic agent of contamination.
harbringer of catastrophe,
icon of the impending Fall:
but what difference does it make?
Altitudines Satana
the vertigo of Liberty
tipped the scales.
A shadow of horror is risen.

Blaming an outside source for the failings of man. Obviously a jab at nu-atheists and their ilk who espouse this "God is evil" meme. More importantly, that Liberty is a sickness that changed the fate of the west.

Yet, wasn't this an act of compassion?
Like the shooting in the head
of a horse with a broken leg.
Your cry of revolt and disbelief
a brief caesura in the slowing
heartbeat of the world
as if a horrible new pain
had been given birth in abomination -
surges in vain the face the inexorable,
leaving behind but a meagre comfort:
there is no exemption for the offspring
of this withered womb,
not even for Chaos itself.
Who can reap the meaning
of this unstinted negation
of centuries and millions
before it sinks within the infinite depths
of that dun ocean?

Things didn't quite work out as humans turned from reality in the name of comfort. That comfort is slowly becoming a distant memory for most.

Maybe this is all confirmation bias, but godamnit I'm surprised these hipsters put anything together. Then they could just be riding the wave. If they are sincere, this doesn't excuse their awful output.

There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us

Re: Aidspell Omega Embrace Traditionalism?
August 03, 2012, 10:20:55 PM
I'm not sure if it's confirmation bias or not.  Comparing to past lyrics would also shed some light I would think.

I think what happens is that some of these guys are legitimately really smart.  But they insist to themselves that they're musicians when they're not.  I think real musical talent and intelligence is simply a very rare thing.  My vague impression of Aidspell Omega is that whoever is behind it should be some sort of scholar or something, not a musician.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

August 06, 2012, 04:46:25 PM
I'd like some insight on why Deathspell Omega is so hated here. When I listen to the music it just seems like your average 2010s post-black metal band. I don't listen to their music and I don't see it anywhere near original black metal, however it seems to at least be played well, and has much more depth than even nu immortal or nu mayhem can claim. (I know that doesn't make it good music.) Sometimes it seems like anti-hype backlash, but as far as I know, Deathspell Omega don't play live shows, give interviews, or really promote themselves.

Is there something about DsO that makes them worse than mediocre metal?

August 06, 2012, 07:02:10 PM
I'm not sure if it's confirmation bias or not.  Comparing to past lyrics would also shed some light I would think.

I think what happens is that some of these guys are legitimately really smart.  But they insist to themselves that they're musicians when they're not.  I think real musical talent and intelligence is simply a very rare thing.  My vague impression of Aidspell Omega is that whoever is behind it should be some sort of scholar or something, not a musician.

Fairly accurate observation. The output of these guys reeks of over thinking the whole thing.
There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us

August 06, 2012, 07:08:06 PM
I'd like some insight on why Deathspell Omega is so hated here. When I listen to the music it just seems like your average 2010s post-black metal band. I don't listen to their music and I don't see it anywhere near original black metal, however it seems to at least be played well, and has much more depth than even nu immortal or nu mayhem can claim. (I know that doesn't make it good music.) Sometimes it seems like anti-hype backlash, but as far as I know, Deathspell Omega don't play live shows, give interviews, or really promote themselves.

Is there something about DsO that makes them worse than mediocre metal?

They have nothing artistic to say. As evidenced by the fact that their songs consist of fellatio and poorly utilized voivod dissonant riffs. They have completely failed to write anything engaging.

The hate they are given is a knee jerk reaction to the praise they are given. The fawning over the novelty aspects of the bands output are noteworthy. Perhaps above all, they are hated because it appears the band is well aware of the esteem they are given and play to it. Thus the general consensus is that they are charlatans.

August 06, 2012, 07:09:41 PM
In addition people forget about Hirilorn, which pre-dated DSO and was ten times better.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.