Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Art (abstract)

E

Art (abstract)
August 14, 2012, 07:04:59 PM
Does art communicate a humanly conceived message, which would imply that the artist contains whatever the work of art expresses, or does it 'merely' facilitate (for instance) a sense of the abstract whole of which one is part, like a calibration of the self with the Ideal of being?

I used to believe that art is a means of communication, however, the most profound art seems to communicate something that is way beyond artist or artwork. This way, the work of art would be like a clearing in a clouded sky allowing lightbeams trough; a piece of infrastructure, a channel, rather than a humanly conceived 'message' being passed on to the beholder.

And as an aside: if both artist and artwork are merely media, is art still to be considered a feat of human interaction? Is the object of art a cultural attainment? Is art a cultural endeavour proper?

Re: Art (abstract)
August 14, 2012, 07:56:38 PM
Art, excluding maybe the written kind, has the ability to convey something that seems to be greater than, and beyond the conscious reach of an artist. I don't necessarily think that the artist as acting as a channel from some infinite source, so much as our language has it's limitations. The artist knows something that transcends this language, something that demands to be communicated by artistic means, although the source of this is unknowable IMO.

August 14, 2012, 09:30:34 PM
The artist channels his experience, which is derived from the world around him like light refracting through a prism. Definitely do not exclude literature from this! Poetry or prose, both have evocative potential beyond the intent of the artist or the superficial content of the words. Even something like a collection of aphorisms can suggest something greater. I think its quite reasonable to see this as channeling from a source, since the artist is negating or minimizing his self to produce the art (i.e. putting the concern of the art, the topic or content derived from sensory knowledge or insight above identity).

Art is a reflection of a culture or ideology. The form, health and beauty of art presents some clues about the milieu that allows it to come into being. Great peoples make great art. I think this is one element of the whole though, art is not purely a cultural endeavour.

August 15, 2012, 01:01:03 PM
I used to believe that art is a means of communication, however, the most profound art seems to communicate something that is way beyond artist or artwork.

On some level music can be likened to a means of communication, much like a language consisting of grammatical rules. This is the basic element but of course language varies extensively in its intent and eventual effect. Therefore the music I seek out is mostly in the language of profundity.

Regarding the artist, I think no common criticism sums up his true role more succintly than "too self-conscious". A means of mastering language, himself but devoid of ego.